BX25 Grease Zerk Size

BX25 Gal

Equipment
BX25, LandPride mower and tiller.
Jul 24, 2014
Anthony, NM
I need some help with grease zerks. I have several on my BX25 that won't open up (the grease just squirts out the hose of the grease gun). I've looked through all the documents I have including the BX25 Parts Manual and cannot find any place that tells me the specs on the zerks.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out which size the zerk is so I can buy new ones for the clogged ones? Specifically, I need ones for the front-end loader.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
The grease zerks are the standard size. However the threads where they screw in may possibly vary. Just remove one and take it to the store.

If you want, you can go to a marine store and get stainless steel units, if the threads are the same. Stainless have been used on MerCruiser stern drives for years.

David

BX25 Gal

Equipment
Jul 24, 2014
Anthony, NM
Thanks David. I was hoping to find a diagram that showed the locations and sizes. If no one has that I'll take your advice and head in to town.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks David. I was hoping to find a diagram that showed the locations and sizes. If no one has that I'll take your advice and head in to town.

BXGAL,

there is no diagram, but I too have had the same problems. I took the zerk off, and stuck a small pin down the hole and it would clear up. There is a tool that will break the internal ball loose, but it cost about $30, replacing them is easier.

but as for a count:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14964

BX25 Gal

Equipment
Jul 24, 2014
Anthony, NM
I took dmanlyr and Hokie85's advice. I removed the zerk, held it in a vise, and used a nail that I'd sharpened into a point. I poked the zerk until it opened up and 'wa-lah' it takes the grease just fine. Thanks to both of you.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Clean em off before greasing, i had a coupler get a little chunk of debris caught inside and changed four fittings before i realized what happened.

Thread size on the zerks is 1/4-28"
Typically on most machines. Some could be metric, but not likely.
I bought a 100 piece assortment of fittings for 9.99.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I got tired of changing zerks each time one became contrary.

For me it is easier to keep a zerk opening device handy. If it doesn't take grease after a good cleaning, use the opener.

Looks like a metallic hypodermic syringe. Pull the plunger, fill it with a little oil, reinsert plunger, stick on zerk, give the plunger a whack with a soft mallet, zerk opens, go back to greasing.

If you've got the opener handy alongside the grease gun takes longer to describe how to do it than it does to actually open the zerk.

Well worth the cost to add to your arsenal of tools.

Not all zerks on my machine are US bolt threads; some are metric. Not all are the same size bolt threads. If you're going to replace zerks get and use a thread guage to be certain what comes out goes back in the same.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Kubota uses a number of different thread size Zerks - especially on FELs. They must subcontract out some of their products.

Anyway, I bought a couple of "assortment" Zerk sets and none seemed to fit. For my tractors, the FEL takes 8 x 1.25 metric thread. They are not easy to find at the local auto parts place. Online seems the best bet.

To clear my Zerks I just take them out, put them in a vice, attach the grease gun, and give them a couple of squirts. Without the back pressure they seem to clear up every time.