Bx24 electrical issues

Small strokes

Equipment
Bx24, gravely 20g, wheelhorse 520h
Aug 15, 2017
Kittanning PA
Hello I'm new to this thread and have searched numerous forums looking for an answer and have yet to find one so hopefully one of the orange gurus can help me out. I purchased an 07 bx24 loader/backhoe January this year the tractor looked like it just rolled off the showroom and had 204 hours on it. It was my first diesel tractor so of course I was pumped and definitely pushed it to its limits and for the most part was very impressed with it. So the first issue I had come up was my battery died. I replaced the battery and ran it for roughly 5 or 6 hours and the battery died again. I figured it may be the alternator so I bought a new one from massicks and installed it and while installing it I noticed some of the wires on the plug lead were cracked so I replaced them with a new plug lead. I fire the tractor up and it ran great for about 2 minutes then died. I checked things out and figured while I was trying to solve problems I may as well do away with the cheap plastic fuel filters and upgrade to a single large on located at the front of the tractor. So I install it and add a primer bulb to the line just in case I run out of fuel or something and to make life easier on myself by not having to bleed the line. So I start the tractor it runs great until I go up any type of incline. So I check the fuel pump and it's not working. I replace it with a new one which was 12v but needed a different plug so I switched the plug put everything back together and nothing. I checked the lines coming to the fuel pump and it's showing that I'm only getting 7v and now my fuel indicator is not working my hour meter isn't working none of my blinkers, turn signals, or headlights work either. I checked the fuses and they all looked good. I have no clue where to start now..... any advice, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows a good mechanic in Armstrong county pa please direct me their way. Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1, Get the WSM and study it. ;)
It's sounding like you have some serious issues with the electrical system and the WSM will help you trace the system to find out where your power loss is coming from.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I haven't looked but I don't recall if a WSM or circuit diagram is floating around the net for a BX24, if there were, I expect NIW would have probably mentioned it, but have a sniff around the net anyway just in case.
Small strokes said:
now my fuel indicator is not working my hour meter isn't working none of my blinkers, turn signals, or headlights work either. I checked the fuses and they all looked good
Start at the battery and measure at each terminal post, then at the main terminal of the starter(heavy wire) and a nice clean ground on the engine.
If you have 12+ volts at the starter, then check the fusible link, generally in the harness near the starter, but I don't know exactly where it is on this model. I expect you have a bad connection which needs to be sorted before working out if you also have an alternator/dynamo/rectifier or other problem.

bherron1

May 7, 2017
Clarks Hill SC USA
If your battery is putting out close to 13 volts then remove all your ground wires where they connect to engine block and frame clean them and the metal they contact. Then see if your still getting low voltage, if so start removing all positive connections clean them and check voltage at each one. You will most positively need a WSM work shop Manuel. I turn my own wrenches and make all repairs myself or junk it, sell it get rid of it. The WSM or FSM on vehicles is a must have to trace wiring. You may want to make a temporary bypass on the safety switches to make sure your not loosing voltage on any of them. Probably not because they are usually in the start circuit. If your battery is showing less then 12.5 volts fully charged no load be careful she's not doing what it should. If they read 12.1 or less I trash them new or old no matter. A good battery should read 12.9 volts or higher. Normally a blown fuse means no voltage not low voltage. Let us know how you come out.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Issues that only seem to happen going up/down hills are typically seat switch related. The purpose of 2 fuel filters is to protect the pump, and protect the motor from the pump if it fails. The fuel system is self priming. Sounds like you might be your own worst enemy here .. but goodluck electrical can be a pain!