BX23S Temperature Gauge reads kinda Cool

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
It was 40+ degrees outside..... and I was not working the Bota very hard.... I had it running for probably 25 minutes without turning it off and the tempeture gauge was in the "cool" side.....
Is this normal

Attachments

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Yeah. That seems about right. 25 minutes from cold start? No time to warm up?

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
It was 40+ degrees outside..... and I was not working the Bota very hard.... I had it running for probably 25 minutes without turning it off and the tempeture gauge was in the "cool" side.....

Is this normal

Absolutely 100% normal.. at 40 degrees and only a run time of 25 minutes as well as the fact that you stated you weren’t working it very hard makes this perfectly normal..

Now if it was a 85 degree day I might not be saying that lol.

Totally normal you have nothing to worry about.. if the needle wasn’t moving AT ALL then you should be concerned.. otherwise don’t worry it’s perfectly fine.

For example.. in the same temps my Kubota bx 2370 never sees over 2 bars on the digital gauge no matter how long I run it which 2 bars on my gauge is basically the same position your needle is in on your gauge/picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly20

Equipment
L2501 HST
Jan 5, 2016
Michigan
Seems normal for our type of engine. My B2601, when worked hard in the summer, only creeps up to slightly above 1/4 on the gauge. It seems Kubota has a very efficient cooling system.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I cut a piece of heavy plastic sheet to cover 90% the air intake area below the steering wheel. It reduces air flow to the radiator considerably, allowing the tractor run warmer in cold (<30'F) weather.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very normal indeed - as others have said. IF you work it good and long it will get in the so called normal range. That little diesel really does not get all that hot, unless something is wrong. Be careful with masking off the radiator if you decide to go that route - I would not cover more than 50% at time and then check as you work the tractor.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Be careful with masking off the radiator if you decide to go that route - I would not cover more than 50% at time and then check as you work the tractor.
I have a cab for my 23S and it includes a cover for the radiator intake that covers it 100%. Only to be used in sub-freezing temperatures but that would lead me to think it is ok to cover more than 50% if need be. Just fyi.

Edit: I take that back. Just looked at some pictures that I happen to have and the cab does leave some of the intake area open on the front side toward the hood.

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Have aftermarket cab. Place sheet metal cover between radiator and screen for entire winter season. Even if temps rise into 50's F , there is no overheat issues. Cover radiator 100 %.

The external fresh air intake is also covered. Cab has interior recirculation intake vents at the ceiling.

These mods insure warm air consistency from heat exchanger vents.

High velocity defrosting a necessity w/ a cab, large volume of glass surface.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Seems normal for our type of engine. My B2601, when worked hard in the summer, only creeps up to slightly above 1/4 on the gauge. It seems Kubota has a very efficient cooling system.
I work my B2920 "hard" in the summer mowing up and down on the face of a dam that is extremely steep and cutting 12+" of grass at wide open throttle - above PTO line on the tach. On hot summer days, I've had the gauge reach the red plenty of times and have to idle it cool it down.

But this is normal temps in the cold.