BX23S Hydro fan blade

countrypapa

Equipment
BX25
Sep 14, 2015
Mays Landing,NJ,USA
I have a 2020 bx23s and about 100 hrs I broke the hydro fan with a stick. After tearing it down and replacing the fan (what fun) I decided to put a Bro-tek shield under it. I just put the shield on the back and not on the front. At 140 hrs I broke the fan blade again but I did not know that I broke it and do not know how long I had been using it with a broken fan. I happened to see a fan blade on the ground and when I checked,sure enough the blades were gone again. Now the big question,when I checked the level of the trans fluid it was boiling. Does anyone think it was because the fan broke or the new skid pad because the skid pad has no ventilation holes in it or a combination of both. I am replacing the fan now and putting the front shield on. I am also replacing all udt and filter hoping I didn't do any other harm. Watta Ya Think

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
How did you know the fluid was boiling? If it was truly boiling, I'd suspect the thermal limits of the seals and perhaps the adhesives used to hold friction material in place have been exceeded or has shortened their overall life.

One has to wonder if enclosing the undercarriage has a negative effect on thermal dissipation of the hydraulic system.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
WOW, I'd be looking around trying to figure out WHY and HOW you broke the 2nd blade ! THAT would be 'job one', 2nd is buy 2 more blades, then install one.
I've got 330+hrs and knock on wood , fan is fine.
Now you could install a temperature sender/dash gauge to show you HST case or fluid temperature. That way you'd have some 'warning'. If there was a viable market for a 'kit', I'd do the R&D.
Jay

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
u sure it wasn't just air bubbles in hot fluid?
I have the bxpanded cover, and i installed the bro-tek on another BX in the family and i cant imagine what luck it would take to break the fan blade while the cover is on! ughhhhhhh especially the bro-tek one is really good coverage from the back to fwd of the fan.

the good news is, you should be able to put the new fan on in half the time now :)

countrypapa

Equipment
BX25
Sep 14, 2015
Mays Landing,NJ,USA
WOW, I'd be looking around trying to figure out WHY and HOW you broke the 2nd blade ! THAT would be 'job one', 2nd is buy 2 more blades, then install one.
I've got 330+hrs and knock on wood , fan is fine.
Now you could install a temperature sender/dash gauge to show you HST case or fluid temperature. That way you'd have some 'warning'. If there was a viable market for a 'kit', I'd do the R&D.
Jay
In answer to the first reply I didn't measure the temp but when I pulled out the dip stick it was bubbling so I guess it was pretty hot. I'm kind of concerned about adding the front skid plate because thats going to close it up even more. In answer to the second reply I have no idea how a stick got up there,I thought that was the job of the skid plate. There are ways to get up there with the plate on but you really have to thread the needle. I am going to do some serious looking for some kind of temp. gage for the hst system.When the first blade broke I was at low rpm and it made a very loud sound but when the second one broke I must have been at full throttle and didn"t hear it. I think a temp gage will be my next add on if I didn't already ruin it. Thanks for the replies.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
there have been posts here where people run without the fan "all the time". i wouldnt, but im sure there are those out there. You are likely fine, would just change the fan and press on

countrypapa

Equipment
BX25
Sep 14, 2015
Mays Landing,NJ,USA
u sure it wasn't just air bubbles in hot fluid?
I have the bxpanded cover, and i installed the bro-tek on another BX in the family and i cant imagine what luck it would take to break the fan blade while the cover is on! ughhhhhhh especially the bro-tek one is really good coverage from the back to fwd of the fan.

the good news is, you should be able to put the new fan on in half the time now :)
I'm hoping it was just air bubbles,changing the fluid just in case. I see that you just stripped yours down,I changed mine by going underneith and dropping the drive shaft.I'm getting pretty good at this now, had driveshaft down and fan off in 20 minutes.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
yeah the older BXs are a real PITA. You guys with the newer ones have an extra spacer coupler at the crank that gives you a little extra room. you'll have this done in no time
i dont think it's necessary to change the fluid.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I have a BX23 which is basically the same underneath. The brush guard on it is custom made and much more restrictive than the BroTek, and as far as I know there have never been overheating problems.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Countrypapa - - reminds me I need to check my fan.....

I'm 400 hrs without incident, but have been "in the sticks" a lot lately too with mid-mower deck on...I do use the BxPanded shield when mower is off.

As far as "boiling," not sure that would happen, even if it got real hot. Just guessing some, but I don't know you'd run into a condition where it would "boil", per se.

Bubbles/air, sure. Some notice some foam sometimes....a little is normal, a lot can mean an air leak somewhere in the suction side. Being new, guessing you're okay there.

If I remember correctly from here on OTT, normal HST temps are about 100 degrees F over ambient air temperature, so that fluid can get to about 200 degrees F. Hot stuff....

Honestly, I don't think a fluid change is necessary. But if in your shoes I'd probably do the same thing....