BX23S front end hydraulics

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have forks on my B2601. Pin on - so I have to bang the pins out of the bucket, bang them back into the forks. But same effect as SSQA, just more labour intensive.

I have a diesel tank that I stack on a shelf that has very low clearance. I take it down every three weeks, put it on the trailer, take it away and fill it, bring it back, onto the front end loader and around the back of the house to transfer into the house tank.

I have maybe 3 hours total using the forks. And putting that tank away I have about 2 inches of clearance - it needs to go up and down gently or it bangs into stuff. It hasn't been a big problem. I can lift and curl it, drop and dump it, keep it pretty level (it doesn't seal well, so when full if I get lift and curl wrong, I get diesel on the ground). I usually run lower revs for fork work, but the OPs view seems to be a problem when lowering - which isn't really controlled by revs.

So I'm back to either I'm just a rock star (I'd like to think that, but it's unlikely), or the OP is a long way off on touch (possible, but the way he describes it doesn't sound like he's just being rough), or his tractor is adjusted quite a bit different than mine. As I say, very hard to work out which just based on what some guy types on the internet - you need to see it. So you need someone who says their tractor is fine, and either they need to come drive your tractor, or you need to go drive theirs. Then we know if it's the machine or the operator.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Paul, your B2601 hydraulics use different parts than the BX23S, kinda like comparing Ford vs Chev on how they perform. Need to compare BX23S to only BX23S.
I use forks on a real forklift, D-14 and the BX23S. Have 100s of hrs on the BX23S and the hydraulics are NOT setup for 'forking'. A simple change in the spool valve geometry( grind) would make it much smooother for forking, but it was designed for bucket operations.

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Folks, again thanks for all the excellent input. I worked with the forks again over the weekend moving railroad ties and diesel tank, etc. really put it to work. I think I have concluded that the machine can do exactly what has been described by some of you, which is very precise & delicate maneuvers. But, it does take an extremely light touch and full concentration. Nothing like the backhoe which for me feels pretty natural.
The good news, as some of you have pointed out, is that this is an excellent reason for more tractor time.

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Yeah, I’m not on this thing every day, but do spend a few hours each week on it. Primarily with fork operations, and I sure would have thought I’d be better at it by now. Everything else I do on it is somewhat intuitive. Not the forks. Oh well, it’s an excuse for more practice time.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I did move my diesel tank again last week. And paid attention. I run at very low revs when doing fine work - not much above idle. That may be part of the trick - I hadn't even realised I was doing it, it's habit to throttle down when it's too touchy.