BX23S front end hydraulics

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Is there a way to slow down the drop rate of front end implements like the 3 point adjustment does for the rear? When trying to work with finesse with forks, my drop speed is way faster than I would like.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Without several mods - the answer is no.

What you will need to do is practice a little more with the feathering of the stick. After a while you will be able to set the forks on a red solo cup without crushing it. Take no offense with this statement - just needs a little more practice.

You are not throwing it in float by chance are you?

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
No, not in float. I’m sure you are correct about me needing more time in the seat. I just thought it a little odd that there would be tail end adjustments, but nothing on the front. I thought I may have overlooked something. Thanks for the quick response.

ravenseye

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 10, 2021
Pepperell, MA
I'm new at this as well and found the jerkiness of the drop speed to be surprising. I had pallet forks on and slid under a pallet of loosely stacked beehives (without bees in them thankfully) and they all tipped over on the way up....I re-stacked them on the raised pallet and they all fell over again on the way down. Ended up using straps but I guess maybe practice will help.

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
I'm new at this as well and found the jerkiness of the drop speed to be surprising. I had pallet forks on and slid under a pallet of loosely stacked beehives (without bees in them thankfully) and they all tipped over on the way up....I re-stacked them on the raised pallet and they all fell over again on the way down. Ended up using straps but I guess maybe practice will help.
[/QUOTE

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Yeah, seems like using the forks is where I really noticed the problem. No doubt due to the weight distribution being shifted so far forward compared to a bucket. Still, sure would be handy to be able to choke the flow back when necessary. I would say moving bees is definitely a time when extremely smooth operation would be appreciated.

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Folks, I’ve got to revisit this discussion again. With forks on my Bx23s, the drop speed sure does seem to be excessive. Ive got to seriously concentrate and just barely touch the controls to avoid a major drop with empty forks. Why is this so touchy compared to the 3 point controls, back hoe, front end buckets on other equipment I have run not to mention the countless warehouse forklifts I’ve use. Is this just the way it is with this design, or do I possibly have a problem? Any suggestions to remedy are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I recall forum guru NIW discussing this topic a couple of years ago.

I think he was talking about using this type of adjustable flow control which allows full flow in one direction and throttled flow in the other.

You restrict the flow when needing precision and then open up the control at other times.

Bailey adjustable flow control

Depending upon your needs, you might need one valve on your up circuit and an other on your down.

I have not done this before so before just following my advice ask at hydraulic suppliers.

Dave

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA

I think he was talking about using this type of adjustable flow control which allows full flow in one direction and throttled flow in the other.

You restrict the flow when needing precision and then open up the control at other times.

Depending upon your needs, you might need one valve on your up circuit and an other on your down.

I have not done this before so before just following my advice ask at hydraulic suppliers.

Dave

Dave
thanks for the quick response. I will definitely look into this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yeah, seems like using the forks is where I really noticed the problem. No doubt due to the weight distribution being shifted so far forward compared to a bucket. Still, sure would be handy to be able to choke the flow back when necessary. I would say moving bees is definitely a time when extremely smooth operation would be appreciated.
What happens IF you raised it about a foot off the ground and slapped it INTO float mode - does it drop like a rock?

Without forks on it - float drop fast or some what slower than normal usage ?

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
What happens IF you raised it about a foot off the ground and slapped it INTO float mode - does it drop like a rock?

Without forks on it - float drop fast or some what slower than normal usage ?
Never tried that, but will check this evening and report back. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Pretty sure the loader was designed as a 'loader' NOT as a 'forklift'. After 3 years(600+hrs) I'm still not good at 'forklifting'. It'd be costly to make it smooooth,like a forklift using either a LOT of 'plumbing and parts' or $20 for a micro and a few lines of code. The 1st could look like the Three stooges bathroom reno, the 2nd is on my 'todo project' list.
I did find that less RPM helps, as well, bracking your arm on the arm rest and CONCENTRATING ! You've got to 'feel' the valve open, NOT have kneejerk reactions either and of coures it all changes depending on the weight of the load.......

Reactions: 1 user

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
Pretty sure the loader was designed as a 'loader' NOT as a 'forklift'. After 3 years(600+hrs) I'm still not good at 'forklifting'. It'd be costly to make it smooooth,like a forklift using either a LOT of 'plumbing and parts' or $20 for a micro and a few lines of code. The 1st could look like the Three stooges bathroom reno, the 2nd is on my 'todo project' list.
I did find that less RPM helps, as well, bracking your arm on the arm rest and CONCENTRATING ! You've got to 'feel' the valve open, NOT have kneejerk reactions either and of coures it all changes depending on the weight of the load.......
Yeah, I did some testing last night and it appears my biggest problem is when I tilt the forks and lower at the same time. Like moving into a stack of pallets or positioning under a round bale. I also tend to fold my forks straight down and lower to the ground to park, since my current parking spot is a little cramped. I guess I don’t perform those same actions with the bucket. Add to that the fact that the forks slap pretty hard due to the play in the sliding mechanism and that loud clank helps contribute to the overall

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

i found at around the 40-50hr mark i was finally "smooth" with my loader. After 160ish hrs, i can manipulate it without even thinking.

OP, its just time and practice. My 23s is my first ever tractor. I have operated heavy equipment once in a while however never often enough to be more than just Ok at doing it (with the exception of a skidsteer). i spent some time using my backhoe to move rocks. Ones that could easily be picked up by hand, but instead of doing that i dropped the loader bucket next to the pile of rocks and used the thumb on the BH to pick them up one at a time and place them in the bucket. Did that for about 1hr using different RPMs to get a feel for how BH reacted to different inputs. IMO that was time well spent.

D

Deleted member 47704

If you have arms rests, use them to steady your arm and use fingers to operate stick.Not your whole arm.

Real fork lifts require stick feel to operate smooth. I use a 4000lb capacity fork lift a couple times a week. Before covid hit I was supposed to become a forklift trainer. We're operating on a skeleton crew right now so its tabled.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 28, 2021
USA
If you have arms rests, use them to steady your arm and use fingers to operate stick.Not your whole arm.

Real fork lifts require stick feel to operate smooth. I use a 4000lb capacity fork lift a couple times a week. Before covid hit I was supposed to become a forklift trainer. We're operating on a skeleton crew right now so its tabled.
Thanks again for all the input guys. And yes, I’ll agree there is never a substitute for good old fashioned practice. I guess I’m just surprised by how slow I am to gain control with the forks, but the backhoe came pretty easily. I was reasonably comfortable and competent with the backhoe after the first 10 or so hours and having never run one before. Here I am at 170 hours in and still clunky and funky with the forks.

D

Deleted member 47704

Thanks again for all the input guys. And yes, I’ll agree there is never a substitute for good old fashioned practice. I guess I’m just surprised by how slow I am to gain control with the forks, but the backhoe came pretty easily. I was reasonably comfortable and competent with the backhoe after the first 10 or so hours and having never run one before. Here I am at 170 hours in and still clunky and funky with the forks.
Gives you a reason to do stuff with the tractor.
;)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Folks, I’ve got to revisit this discussion again. With forks on my Bx23s, the drop speed sure does seem to be excessive. Ive got to seriously concentrate and just barely touch the controls to avoid a major drop with empty forks. Why is this so touchy compared to the 3 point controls, back hoe, front end buckets on other equipment I have run not to mention the countless warehouse forklifts I’ve use. Is this just the way it is with this design, or do I possibly have a problem? Any suggestions to remedy are greatly appreciated. Thanks
The description you have doesn't sound like my BX. So maybe you have something wrong with the machine.

The caveat here is that one persons fast drop is another person's smooth. If I push it way forward it drops fast. If I feather it then it's as slow as I want it to be. To be brutally blunt, it's really hard to tell on the internet whether you're just don't have good touch with the controls, or whether there's something wrong with your machine.

Dad's big Kioti just doesn't have good feel - it's hard to run lift and curl at the same time, it's hard to get a smooth drop without being really careful. It's still possible, but both my Kubotas have been way better. So it's definitely possible your machine isn't running well, or just isn't a good example. But also possible you just need practice.

Realistically you need to either go try someone else's machine, or have someone with experience try yours.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My BX23S is the same as the OPs machine, FAST when used with pallet forks, nature of the beast. While it's smooooth for loader work,things changed real fast when the SSQA forks go on. My D-14 with fulltime hydraulics is smooth when used forks,but my A-C forklift is best. Makes sense as it was designed to be a forklift....
Like other machines, it's a compromise. To get smoother fork operations,you could change the spool valve to one designed for 'forking' not 'loader' use. Do that ,then the 'loader' operations will change....sigh....
If you can get several 100s of consistant hours running in 'forklift mode' you'll get good at it.