BX23S front axle oil question

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK.. yet another oil 'debate'.....

Seems you can use either expensive S-UDT or 80-90 gear oil for the front axle
bit
can I just use 10W40 instead ?

I have about 100 quarts ( yes, real IMPERIAL quarts ) of 1980 SHELL 10W40 taking up space in garage.
S-UDT seems to be a very 'high tech' oil for the job, 80-90 the other end of the scale. Since the 10w40 is 'in between' and clean, it seems like an 'OK' use for some of the quarts,since it's just lubing a few low speed gears....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK.. yet another oil 'debate'.....

Seems you can use either expensive S-UDT or 80-90 gear oil for the front axle
bit
can I just use 10W40 instead ?

I have about 100 quarts ( yes, real IMPERIAL quarts ) of 1980 SHELL 10W40 taking up space in garage.
S-UDT seems to be a very 'high tech' oil for the job, 80-90 the other end of the scale. Since the 10w40 is 'in between' and clean, it seems like an 'OK' use for some of the quarts,since it's just lubing a few low speed gears....
No. You need an oil with an EP additive package.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
EP ? Extra Protection ?

OK, the net says 'Extreme Pressure'.....
dang I was hoping to get rid of at least 2 of the quarts.....

50's tractors used straight oils for hydraulic pumps ,so that's what got me curious, especially due to the low speed of the front axle guts.....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
EP ? Extra Protection ?
EP = EXtreme Pressure.

The front axle final drive is a spiral bevel gearset that is subject to high tooth contact pressures, high surface temperatures, and a pronounced sliding action. That translates into galling, scuffing, welding and rapid wear. Extreme pressure additives react with the metal surface to deposit a sacraficial protective layer that prevents those adverse phenomena and reduces wear.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Something I thought was odd. 98 Accord, 5sp. Owners manual say that you can use Honda MTF or 10W30/10W40 but change back to the Honda juice when convenient.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It wasn't uncommon for some automobile manufacturers to use Automatic Transmission Oil and or engine oil in manual transmissions. I just don't know when the practice started or ended, but only know about it from a friend that worked for Chrsler about 20 years ago. He told me that you have to look up the oil specifications by Vehicle Identification Number to know what was correct. If you put the wrong oil in, it causes premature failures.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So you use 2 quarts out of 100?

I think it would be wise to use the correct oil and figure out a way to unload the 100 quarts you don't want or need... ;)

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
EP = EXtreme Pressure.

The front axle final drive is a spiral bevel gearset that is subject to high tooth contact pressures, high surface temperatures, and a pronounced sliding action. That translates into galling, scuffing, welding and rapid wear. Extreme pressure additives react with the metal surface to deposit a sacraficial protective layer that prevents those adverse phenomena and reduces wear.

Dan
Actually I believe the front bevel gears are straight cut not spiral. Straight cut are not so demanding on the level pf EP additives required but I still would not use a SAE 10W40 oil in that application. Anything GL4 or higher would work fine.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'd say use your 10w-40 if you can't afford gear oil right now. The front axle on a tractor doesn't spin with the velocity of a pickup, jeep, or street vehicle.
You could use any oil in a pinch. Vegetable oil or pack it with vasoline or grease. Better than nothing.
Results will vary.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
If the quarts were tin-tin-tin cans, not tin-cardboard-tin, I'd have sold them no problem. I've moved them 3 times in the garage to make space but it'd be nice to USE them not just haul off to landfill.....
Will have to see the 'code' on them but pretty sure '1980' era oil, so good for real muscle cars or older.
Also found two bars of babbit though few will know what they are.....
No snow, so Spring cleaning a bit....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If the quarts were tin-tin-tin cans, not tin-cardboard-tin, I'd have sold them no problem. I've moved them 3 times in the garage to make space but it'd be nice to USE them not just haul off to landfill.....
Will have to see the 'code' on them but pretty sure '1980' era oil, so good for real muscle cars or older.
Also found two bars of babbit though few will know what they are.....
No snow, so Spring cleaning a bit....
I know what babbit is, but aside from use in producing smooth oil lubricated bearings, isn't that also the term used by male rabbits for the attractive females of their species? Could be that's just a Western PA thing... :)

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Bar oil for chain saws. I use old engine oil a lot for bar oil, why wouldn't new (old) oil not work for the same thing? That is how I would get rid of it at least. Maybe put it on Facebook Marketplace for free must pick up.

The other thing I used to do with old engine oil was, I had a coffee can (made from metal) with a piece of copper 1/8 inch copper pipe coming out the bottom with a valve on it. I would drip oil from it on my wood fire, in my old wood stove.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
sigh, so guy I fixed his little rider dropped off 2 boxes of 'stuff I might like'...about 30# of old craftsman sockets and, ugh, 4- 1litre cans of 80w90 gear oil....4l is a bit over a US gallon....
so I STILL have 100 cans of 10W40 here....
I may just have to build a 'drip oil furnace' to get rid of it....though I got a new gas furnace in the garage thi summer...

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Next time you are coming to the States bring it with you and I will use it in my 1962 Chevrolet or my 1964 Corvair
Spyder-Coupe-1.jpg
MVC-006L.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Lifetime of 20-W50 Phillips aircraft engine oil.
Twin engine airplane has been gone for years
Take it to the local airport. Swap it for long-storage-life-avgas to run in your portable generator.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Take it to the local airport. Swap it for long-storage-life-avgas to run in your portable generator.
Interesting.....
I might give that a try.
I do use 100LL in my small engines.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I used to participate (in a very small way) with the CAF when they were still in Harlengen, and while at a cocktail party hosted by Lefty Gardner at his home, I was informed by him and another founder or two that the reason the CAF came about was because, as crop dusters, they‘d heard about all those WW2 aircraft in storage at Tucson …and that most of them had been stored still serviced with avgas, ready for departure should that become desirable. He and his fellow dusters decided to buy a few of them simply for the gasoline in them…(they being sold at surplus prices, the fuel was their main value)….planning to then scrap them out for whatever cash the airframes might bring.
But flying them home was so much fun and the locals in the Tx valley so enjoyed seeing them fly…they decided to continue doing that as a side-line…. and that came straight from the horses-mouth.… Point being, that avgas had sat in some of those airplanes for almost two decades…and was still airworthy… unlike auto gas that even the leaded gas of that period had a short shelf-life.
(For those unfamiliar with it,….. many airplanes sit for months…even years at a time…with fuel (avgas) in them…. yet are expected to fly safely with that fuel…. hence it’s designed long shelf-life.)

It’s what I keep in all my small engines also, enjoying healthy carburetors and easy, dependable starts in my welders, generators, pressure-washers, etc etc. No carb-killing auto gas for me.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I used to participate (in a very small way) with the CAF when they were still in Harlengen, and while at a cocktail party hosted by Lefty Gardner at his home, I was informed by him and another founder or two that the reason the CAF came about was because, as crop dusters, they‘d heard about all those WW2 aircraft in storage at Tucson …and that most of them had been stored still serviced with avgas, ready for departure should that become desirable. He and his fellow dusters decided to buy a few of them simply for the gasoline in them…planning to then scrap them out for whatever cash the airframes might bring.
But flying them home was so much fun and the locals in the Tx valley so enjoyed seeing them fly…they decided to continue doing that as a side-line…. and that came straight from the horses-mouth.… Point being, that avgas had sat in some of those airplanes for almost two decades…and was still airworthy… unlike auto gas that even the leaded gas of that period had a short shelf-life.
(For those unfamiliar with it,….. many airplanes sit for months…even years at a time…with fuel (avgas) in them…. yet are expected to fly safely with that fuel…. hence it’s designed long shelf-life.)

It’s what I keep in all my small engines also, enjoying healthy carburetors and easy, dependable starts in my welders, generators, pressure-washers, etc etc. No carb-killing auto gas for me.
Great information!!