BX23S Backhoe wood splitter mod

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I know I know, just go buy a splitter, but that's no fun.
Does anyone think the power of a BX 23S backhoe is strong enough to use as a log splitter?
I've seen a few designs and videos of other tractors, thinking of making one myself.
:geek:
Paul

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your talking about the kind that replace the bucket with a splitter, it's not going to do big hardwood, but the average wood will be fine, just very slow!
If your talking about taping into the power beyond loop for the BH, again real slow and average power.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Now I'm looking at this one, attaches to an SSQA plate:

Reactions: 1 user

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
Now I'm looking at this one, attaches to an SSQA plate:
I have one of those that I made out of an old 3-pt log splitter. All in I think I spent about $700 (plus my time) vs the new one's averaging about $3500. Its great. I do the same as in the video only I split it directly into the trailer I haul it back with. Now that I have a tractor also (sort of) I'll probably weld the link pins back on to the skid plate so I can flip it over and use it on the tractor 3-pt and aux if I just ever needed to.

IMG_0127.PNG

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0128.PNG

Some things to consider about using an SSQA on a tractor FEL.

Maneuverability - A SS is a zero-turn hydrostatic machine. Tractors typically arent. You're going to spend a lot of time backing up and going forward while turning, instead of just pivoting like a SS will do. Thats going to add quite a bit of time.

Visibility - In a SS I'm right there at the action and can see the log and the splitter really well. A tractor FEL mounted SSQA log splitter the operator will be 20 feet distance from the work looking over the hood and FEL.

Cycle time - In low-flow, a SS is pushing nearly 3 times the flow rate of your tractor FEL (if 6 gpm is correct for your tractor). That's going to take a long while to cycle.

Not trying to dissuade you, just sharing some experience from using those.

Last edited: