Bx23s backhoe hydraulic fluid leak?

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Hello All,
I have less than a year old bx23s, I have used the front end loader and backhoe quite a bit and have been awed by what it has been able to dig up both stone wise and stumps just takes some time and finesse, any ways I dug out a fairly decent size stump yesterday and when done noticed hydraulic oil on the lower backhoe pivot plate, everything still seems to operate normal and I don’t see a hose that is noticeable leaking, is there a over pressure relief that may have blown the hydraulic fluid out down there or should I look harder for a leak?
thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello All,
I have less than a year old bx23s, I have used the front end loader and backhoe quite a bit and have been awed by what it has been able to dig up both stone wise and stumps just takes some time and finesse, any ways I dug out a fairly decent size stump yesterday and when done noticed hydraulic oil on the lower backhoe pivot plate, everything still seems to operate normal and I don’t see a hose that is noticeable leaking, is there a over pressure relief that may have blown the hydraulic fluid out down there or should I look harder for a leak?
thanks

I would say look harder for the leak - the fluid will be easier to see when "dirt" and other things stick to it.
If you wipe everything down well - and run it again, the leak should be the only place wet, despite being hard to see.

How much did it leak? Tablespoon or ?

Take a wrench and see if any of those nuts will move - don't force it too tight, rather see if any will move with just a little bit of pressure. Chances are - the machine heated those fittings and they may have moved a smidge.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Like Hokie said, clean everything real well.
When running again, baby powder will stick to the leak.

Reactions: 1 user

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Thanks, I looked closer this morning after cleaning everything up and did find it leaking at one of connectors going to my right stabilizer arm, ran through each operation separately and when I lowered the stabilizer and raised the back end up I could see it leaking, just a steady drop, will try and tighten up tomorrow, got a 45’ long trench to dig so I hope tightening up the connection works as that seems to be where it is leaking from