BX23S, B2601, LX2610 - Just bought 8 wooded acres (but also have access to larger tractor of grandpas)

Z28McCrory

Equipment
still shopping
Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on my tractor buying decision. I’ve done quite a bit of research, almost to the point where I’ve went too far down the rabbit hole and overwhelmed myself with specs and numbers… so I’m hoping to find some clarity from the members on here who have much more experience than myself.

A couple months ago I made the decision to buy ~8 acres from my grandpa, with the plan to start building my “forever” home on it sometime next year. The land is basically 100% woods, and extremely flat, and laid out in such a way that my driveway will be about 800ft long. I’ve been chipping away at clearing it out for a build site, and think eventually I’ll have about 2 acres of “yard”, with the rest being woods with some walking trails to maintain.

I’m buying equipment as I see the need. Started out with the chain saws and trimmer, then some various other small tools. Then I added a Honda Pioneer to help transport everything around. And most recently added a RK 1.5Ton dump trailer to pull behind the Honda to get firewood from my build site to my grandpas (he uses wood as his primary source of heat).

Recently I’ve started thinking about adding a small tractor to my equipment. I stumbled across the “Outdoors with the Morgans” YouTube channel, and the BX23S really grabbed my attention. After thinking about it more and looking up more and more videos, I had my mind basically made up that I needed one and it would make my life so much easier as I continue to clear the land and begin site prep...water line, trench for electric, spreading gravel for the driveway, digging a few drain trenches to help with some wet areas, leveling out a few high and low spots across the yard, digging out a LOT of small stumps, moving brush and limbs as I’m clearing more trees, etc etc etc. Once the home is built, I’d like to use this tractor as my primary mower (and also help my grandpa mow... and his land is much more hilly), till a small garden, plant a lot of trees, mulch, and also little things like haul the garbage can to the end of the driveway. It seemed like the perfect little tractor that was a swiss army knife and nimble enough to get into a lot of places.

It just so happens, that there is a Kubota dealer about 10 miles from the property I’m buying. They didn’t have a BX23S at that location, but they had a BX2680 for me to check out the size, etc. The salesman was helpful, but seemed to almost instantly mention the possibilities of larger tractors. There was the reoccurring line of “you can get a lot more tractor if you’re willing to spend a bit more”. At first I was pretty firm on wanting to stay with the BX23S, but I started going down the wormhole of “for a little more I can get _____”. I actually liked the size of the BX and it seemed like a good fit, but I don’t want to have buyers remorse.

The BX23S ended up growing into wanting a B2601. And once I was convinced that the B2601 would be perfect, I started looking at the LX2610. A couple days ago I was basically convinced that the LX2610 was the way to go. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I slowly grew the tractor size to something that would no longer work that well for mowing the yard, and would be too large to get into some of the spaces I was originally picturing it on. It’s turning into a proper tractor, and not the general purpose yard machine I originally envisioned.

Its important to also mention, my grandpa (who’s property borders my woods) has a Branson 4720i with a Loader and 8.8ft Backhoe. So I’d like for my tractor to be the swiss army knife to do 80% of what I need on a regular basis, and I can always go get his when I need the big guns. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t like to constantly barrow things though, so I do indeed need something of my own.

One other small consideration for the BX23S is that I just purchased a 74” x 12 foot trailer to haul my Honda Pioneer on. It looks like the BX23S could fit on it if I lift the front bucket over the front lip of the trailer. The two larger tractors would probably require a larger trailer… and while I don’t plan on taking it many places its nice to know that I can.

I’m going to have a lot of expenses over the next year or two while building my home, so budget is a bit of a consideration, but I still want to buy something I’m going to be happy with long term.

Here are the quotes I’m currently looking at:

BX23S - Skid Steer QA Loader w/48” Bucket, Backhoe w/ 12” Bucket, 60” MMM, 48” Root Grapple w/3rd function installed: $24,600

B2601 - Skid Steer QA Loader w/54” Bucket, BH70 Backhoe w/ 16” Bucket, 60” MMM, 48” Root Grapple w/3rd function installed: $29,500

LX2610 - Skid Steer QA Loader (non-Quick Tach) w/54” Bucket, BH77 Backhoe w/16” Bucket, 72” MMM, 60” Root Grapple w/3rd function installed: $33,595

In being honest, the LX2610 is getting out of my price range, and I’d probably have to sacrifice the Backhoe if I went that route. The B2601 is getting to the very top of my budget, but I could swing it... just may have to wait a while to add some of the other implements on my wish list. The BX23S feels comfortable at that price point, and would even have some room to add a rotary or flail mower and a land plane/box blade fairly soon.

So, with all that said, what would you all suggest? I’ve read through a lot of these questions already posted on here, and I think my situation is a bit different because I’ll have access to the much larger tractor of my grandpas when needed.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you have grandpa's blessing to use his tractor I would forgo the backhoe for your tractor. Once you have your house built will you need the hoe very often? If you talk it over with the family it would be wiser to pay down on the house instead of doubling up on backhoes.

With this being a new construction area I would think the B tractors would have a much stronger build to do heavier work then the BX. A little higher ground clearance Go back to the dealer and compare the turning ability of the BX to the B. There are favorable comments on the ability to mow with the larger B tractors. Also you can lay out your new yard so that it is easier to mow.

Having grown up in southern Ohio I would urge you to buy the R1 tires. Our mower with turf tires was useless a lot of the time. We ran tire chains on it ALL of the time. A lot of people will chime in that you can not mow a nice lawn with R1 tires but I find the tractor does not need to be in 4 x4 all the time to mow. This allows sharper turns and less spinning damage to the lawn. Is there much snow for you to worry about? If so a set of tire chain might be in order. Buy the wheel weights and load the rear tires as you will run out of traction before you run out of power.

Do you have a box blade for grandpa's tractor? If so save the money and buy the land plane to groom the driveways instead of 2 box blades in the family. A flail mower or brush hog would be very useful to keep the growth down. Instead of keeping the Honda, sell it and purchase a carry all for the 3 point hitch. This would free up more money for the house. The tractor will get you everywhere on 8 acres pretty quickly.

Do you have a place to keep the tractor? If not Harbor Freight has a sale on a 10 x 17 Shelter Lock style of enclosure for something like $199. This will keep the weather off of the tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Your long term goal seems to be a lawn mower which can do a bunch of other stuff not a bigger tractor that happens to be able to mow lawns. Grandpa probably has a better backhoe than anything you'd put on any of the tractors you're looking at. Do what feels right to you for your intended purpose. Bear in mind if the tractor you choose exceeds about 25 horsepower you will have some added pollution control added which may work well for a long time or it may give you fits having it serviced. I'd avoid it, stay simple.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd go B2601. I think BX is a little small, low and compromised for a larger property - I have a BX2350 and have just received my new B2601, and my experience is the BX was great on flat lawn plus a bit of landscaping, but ground clearance and capability was quite limited.

I agree on skipping the backhoe if you can borrow one. The BX backhoe is quite limited, and actually for what you describe I'd rent a guy with a dozer and clear the site in a day, put the lawn in and start enjoying it. You can then build when you get time, but you can start putting in landscaping, fruit trees or whatever you plan to grow and have them established by the time you're building.

(Counter point to my own advice - some would advise building first, live there for a while, then landscape. Knowing where the wind swirls, the sun comes to etc is useful before you plant those trees).

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
With this being a new construction area I would think the B tractors would have a much stronger build to do heavier work then the BX. A little higher ground clearance Go back to the dealer and compare the turning ability of the BX to the B. There are favorable comments on the ability to mow with the larger B tractors. Also you can lay out your new yard so that it is easier to mow.
BX cons:
1. plastic hydro cooling fan - remove mower brush could damage it, leave mower on it may get bent & beat up in woody areas.
2. only 1 break pedal - independent brakes allow tighter turning radius
3. does not have a postional 3pt hitch

B pros:
1. oil cooler in front of radiator
2. independent brakes
3. positional 3pt hitch
4. more lift capacity
5. larger tires - less bounce over potholes, more weight if fluid filling

Buying new at this time, R14 tires are now an option - kind of an ag/turf crossover

My BX2370 is my lawnmower, powered wheelbarrow, tilling machine
The B2650 is used for everything else - has SSQA & 3rd function
Have an old ford gasser for lifting 1 ton pallets

If you can use G'pas BH, use savings for a grapple

Z28McCrory

Equipment
still shopping
Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
If you have grandpa's blessing to use his tractor I would forgo the backhoe for your tractor. Once you have your house built will you need the hoe very often? If you talk it over with the family it would be wiser to pay down on the house instead of doubling up on backhoes.

Having grown up in southern Ohio I would urge you to buy the R1 tires. Our mower with turf tires was useless a lot of the time. We ran tire chains on it ALL of the time. A lot of people will chime in that you can not mow a nice lawn with R1 tires but I find the tractor does not need to be in 4 x4 all the time to mow. This allows sharper turns and less spinning damage to the lawn. Is there much snow for you to worry about? If so a set of tire chain might be in order. Buy the wheel weights and load the rear tires as you will run out of traction before you run out of power.

Do you have a box blade for grandpa's tractor? If so save the money and buy the land plane to groom the driveways instead of 2 box blades in the family. A flail mower or brush hog would be very useful to keep the growth down. Instead of keeping the Honda, sell it and purchase a carry all for the 3 point hitch. This would free up more money for the house. The tractor will get you everywhere on 8 acres pretty quickly.

Do you have a place to keep the tractor? If not Harbor Freight has a sale on a 10 x 17 Shelter Lock style of enclosure for something like $199. This will keep the weather off of the tractor.
Your long term goal seems to be a lawn mower which can do a bunch of other stuff not a bigger tractor that happens to be able to mow lawns. Grandpa probably has a better backhoe than anything you'd put on any of the tractors you're looking at. Do what feels right to you for your intended purpose. Bear in mind if the tractor you choose exceeds about 25 horsepower you will have some added pollution control added which may work well for a long time or it may give you fits having it serviced. I'd avoid it, stay simple.
Thanks for the replys.

I do have his blessing to use the tractor, but I'd like to keep it for "needs" instead of all of the time. He'll be 80 in the spring, and bought his tractor for himself as a retirement gift about 13 years ago. It was his pride and joy when he bought it, and he still uses it all the time, mostly just to tinker around. He wouldn't mind me using it (he's directly told me so), but I don't want to make a habit of it (my mom and step dad live on the other side of his property, and borrows stuff from him all the time... which I can tell gets on his nerves a bit since they do it for so many things).

My want for the backhoe would slow down once I have the house built, but in the mean time its the one implement that I see myself using the most. I'd need my grandpas tractor constantly if I decide to skip the backhoe. The woods I'm clearing was logged about 20 years ago so most of the trees i'm clearing are fairly small... 4"-12" round account for 90% of it. There are so so many stumps that need removed. I have big plans for a lot of tree planting around the property. Several trenches for water, electric, and drains... some of which run through areas that I'd prefer not to clear out wide enough to fit my grandpas tractor into.

The BX23S vs B2601 is still the burning question. I think I can take the LX off my list (i think). Unfortunately there are no B2601 in stock (or 2301), and they don't expect to have any more for about a month. The B being able to lift 2x as much on the 3P, and 50% more on the loader, seems like a huge benefit (especially with the grapple). Thats why I cant get it out of my mind. I may drive further to a dealer that has one just so I can see. I don't want to wait a month just to realize I like the BX instead, and could have been using it already.
If I go with the B, I'd like to get the R14 tires. My grandpa has chains on his R4's on his Branson 4720i and they were basically a necessity... and thats on a tractor that weighs over 4k lbs if I recall.

The long term goal of a lawn mower that can do a bunch of stuff is probably somewhat accurate. My grandpa has about 3 1/2 acres that need mowed (with a pond in the middle with some steep banks) and I definitely want to help with that. Long term, I'd say the mowing will make up for 50% of this machines use. But all the other uses in the mean time are what make me think I need perhaps 1 step larger than a BX.

The only implements my grandpa has are his loader and backhoe. So if I buy a box blade or land plane it will be the only one we own between the two of us.

The Honda Pioneer has been amazing to have around, so it'll stay long term (and its a 2021 that I bought new 2 months ago). Often times its both myself and my girlfriend who need to get around in it, and we often have a 3rd person helping. So trying to all get around on a tractor isn't possible. And its admittedly our "toy" that we take on trails n such, so it has its place.

Z28McCrory

Equipment
still shopping
Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
I'd go B2601. I think BX is a little small, low and compromised for a larger property - I have a BX2350 and have just received my new B2601, and my experience is the BX was great on flat lawn plus a bit of landscaping, but ground clearance and capability was quite limited.

I agree on skipping the backhoe if you can borrow one. The BX backhoe is quite limited, and actually for what you describe I'd rent a guy with a dozer and clear the site in a day, put the lawn in and start enjoying it. You can then build when you get time, but you can start putting in landscaping, fruit trees or whatever you plan to grow and have them established by the time you're building.

(Counter point to my own advice - some would advise building first, live there for a while, then landscape. Knowing where the wind swirls, the sun comes to etc is useful before you plant those trees).
Would you happen to have any input on how a B2601 w/MMM would perform compared to the BX? I guess thats the big consideration for me. Yeah its $4,900 more (and thats a consideration), but I just don't want something that has too high of center of gravity so that I can still have a very capable tractor for helping mow the hills on my grandpas property.

BX cons:
1. plastic hydro cooling fan - remove mower brush could damage it, leave mower on it may get bent & beat up in woody areas.
2. only 1 break pedal - independent brakes allow tighter turning radius
3. does not have a postional 3pt hitch

B pros:
1. oil cooler in front of radiator
2. independent brakes
3. positional 3pt hitch
4. more lift capacity
5. larger tires - less bounce over potholes, more weight if fluid filling

Buying new at this time, R14 tires are now an option - kind of an ag/turf crossover

My BX2370 is my lawnmower, powered wheelbarrow, tilling machine
The B2650 is used for everything else - has SSQA & 3rd function
Have an old ford gasser for lifting 1 ton pallets

If you can use G'pas BH, use savings for a grapple
Yeah its things like the plastic cooling fan on the BX that made me want to go one step up to a B2601 so that I wouldn't have to worry as much about it when I'm clearing brush in the woods with the grapple.

Your list of Pros/Cons are similar to what I have listed in my head.

The more I read these replys, the more I'm leaning B2601. Just still have that nagging feeling of "If I can make a BX work during the clearing and construction phase, I can save $4900 and potentially have a more capable machine for mowing".

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I'll throw another idea your way that nobody has mentioned yet. I've got pretty much the same situation as you but with a little more acreage (but maybe not if you consider helping your Grandpa on his from time to time). I take care of woods, trails, yard mowing, etc. with a B2650. If you're going to be doing all that prep work, clearing trails, road building/maintenance, landscaping while building a house, and a whole lot more that will show up on your rural property: For the time being you might consider not getting the mid-mount mower and either pick up a used 3 pt mower or better yet a flail mower. Not only will the belly mower get in the way for a lot of what you want to do.....they're a pain to drop off/hook up every time you want to use something else. And until you want to maintain a nice manicured lawn around your finished house, the belly mower will sit mostly unused whereas a 3 pt mower or flail can be used in the woods/trails all the while during and around the construction area.

So agreeing with BigG for the time being, a larger "B" model will maybe do a lot more for you than a smaller BX in your present circumstances. If you test drive a "B" sized tractor I think you'll find that the very short turning radius makes it extremely agile even without using the individual brakes that are available. By the time your ready to really use a grooming mower of some kind around the house, consider how much time you use the other 3 point implements and how much you'll enjoy/hate dismounting that belly mower to use them. I used a mid mount mower for far too many years and always hated the switching back and forth and the effort it took. the 3 pt grooming mower is a pleasure to use and in under 3 minutes it can be either off or on with little effort. If you forego the mower for the time being you might upgrade to the larger tractor, plus the larger tractor could save you both time and money during your Initial construction years. I doubt you'd want to downsize once your house is built. Either way, any size tractor will earn its keep for you but these first years the larger one will do you better. Especially in the woods if it involves more than mowing trails. Something more to consider.

Most everybody's conditions are different. I've never had fluid filled tires. In our soil I can pull 5 to 6 feet of cultivator with no problem in the tillable field with the turf tires. Sure, they're worthless in mud. I'm seldom working in the field in the mud. And I haven't needed chains with them blowing/pushing snow in the winter. the Kubota Turf tires on the B's are really stout! I also have the R4s that I put on if I have a lot of work in the woods or with the backhoe to do. I mow with either of them and can't really see any difference unless you really turn excessively sharp, mow in 4wd, or in soft ground conditions.

It really all boils down to considering everything and what works best for you in your unique circumstances.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You're thinking it out well and the guys have given good advice. I'd just throw in a few thoughts.
1. If you have a Home Depot with equipment rental close by, you could rent a BX23 for a few days and try it out.
2. A rental trencher will outrun a backhoe for water and electrical installation unless you have a lot of roots and rocks, and
3. I'm thinking a BX23 backhoe is too small for the size stumps you're dealing with. You could try the rental unit on a few and, if I'm right, forego buying a new backhoe and use Grandpa's on the smaller ones and rent a mini-excavator for the bigger ones.
I'm betting if you help him out and treat him and his equipment with respect, he'll be happy to help his grandson out.

Z28McCrory

Equipment
still shopping
Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
I'll throw another idea your way that nobody has mentioned yet. I've got pretty much the same situation as you but with a little more acreage (but maybe not if you consider helping your Grandpa on his from time to time). I take care of woods, trails, yard mowing, etc. with a B2650. If you're going to be doing all that prep work, clearing trails, road building/maintenance, landscaping while building a house, and a whole lot more that will show up on your rural property: For the time being you might consider not getting the mid-mount mower and either pick up a used 3 pt mower or better yet a flail mower. Not only will the belly mower get in the way for a lot of what you want to do.....they're a pain to drop off/hook up every time you want to use something else. And until you want to maintain a nice manicured lawn around your finished house, the belly mower will sit mostly unused whereas a 3 pt mower or flail can be used in the woods/trails all the while during and around the construction area.

So agreeing with BigG for the time being, a larger "B" model will maybe do a lot more for you than a smaller BX in your present circumstances. If you test drive a "B" sized tractor I think you'll find that the very short turning radius makes it extremely agile even without using the individual brakes that are available. By the time your ready to really use a grooming mower of some kind around the house, consider how much time you use the other 3 point implements and how much you'll enjoy/hate dismounting that belly mower to use them. I used a mid mount mower for far too many years and always hated the switching back and forth and the effort it took. the 3 pt grooming mower is a pleasure to use and in under 3 minutes it can be either off or on with little effort. If you forego the mower for the time being you might upgrade to the larger tractor, plus the larger tractor could save you both time and money during your Initial construction years. I doubt you'd want to downsize once your house is built. Either way, any size tractor will earn its keep for you but these first years the larger one will do you better. Especially in the woods if it involves more than mowing trails. Something more to consider.

Most everybody's conditions are different. I've never had fluid filled tires. In our soil I can pull 5 to 6 feet of cultivator with no problem in the tillable field with the turf tires. Sure, they're worthless in mud. I'm seldom working in the field in the mud. And I haven't needed chains with them blowing/pushing snow in the winter. the Kubota Turf tires on the B's are really stout! I also have the R4s that I put on if I have a lot of work in the woods or with the backhoe to do. I mow with either of them and can't really see any difference unless you really turn excessively sharp, mow in 4wd, or in soft ground conditions.

It really all boils down to considering everything and what works best for you in your unique circumstances.
Thanks for the reply.

You're kind of taking me back in the direction of where I was 2 days ago, lol. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an LX2610 (new model that replaces the B2650) and skip the belly mower (since I wouldn't need it for finish mowing until probably a year from now), and buy a flail mower to pull double duty to mow the "kind-yard" like areas at my grandpas, as well as the woods to chew through briars/tall grass/tiny saplings.

The "grand plan" with the LX2610 included a modest size (50" or so) zero turn mower once I had a well manicured lawn.

The main difference (as far as my budget goes) between an B2601 and an LX2610 is that I could probably manage the cost of the backhoe with the B2601, but it's getting into "I really shouldn't spend this much" if I add one to the LX2610.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My B2601 mows a little better than the BX in my estimation. But my BX was pretty old with worn blades.

The actual cut is fine on both.

The B turns about the same as the BX did - the tightest radius curve I cut with the BX (and occasionally scraped the side of the deck when I got too close) I can also cut with the B2601. Arguably a little easier to turn with the B, but the B has a 60" deck and the BX had a 54" - that extra 3" each side sticking out might be the difference on the radius.

Neither cut up the lawn in 2wd on turfs. In 4wd when it's damp both chew the grass a bit. I believe on industrials (R4) they wouldn't cut up the lawn either in 2wd.

The B can mow a lot faster. On a good flat lawn you can mow in H, and it goes fast. It has plenty HP to spin the mower. I don't like to bag, so I mulch. If you mow twice a week in spring it mulches in well - no grass clippings tracked in the house. When you mow twice a week it's not taking much off.....and you can mow in H just fine.

For every other job than mowing, the B is simply better. It's a lot bigger machine, more than the measures tell you. It lifts more.

Taking the mower deck off on the B is very easy compared to the BX. The drive over makes all the difference, and it's better than the BX drive over. It doesn't auto attach the drive shaft, but the extra height of the B means I can attach the drive shaft without having to lie on the ground.

I mow some road side. The steepest section on an slope I have to mow across the slope. It was uncomfortable on the BX - i.e. as steep as I wanted to be. The B mows that same section without tipping over. I believe the BX is probably more stable at the limit, but apparently both of them have more stability than I'm willing to test.

62639837946__CC45C995-91E3-4A32-925E-F1EA28C7BCC8.jpeg

I can't comment on the B2650/LX, as I haven't owned or used one. They do take a 72" deck, so mowing would be faster. But I suspect the jump from a BX to a B2601 would be far more noticeable than the jump from the B2601 to the B2650. If you leave the backhoe off, you can get a B2601 for less than a BX23s. You could also look at the B2301 if you're financially constrained.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Do you really need to dig them out? A stump grinder is in the 3-5K range. Fluid filled tires make some dangerous operations somewhat safer. Not using brakes for turning here just the easy direction change hydros provide.
20200531_152828.jpg

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Oh, and on backhoes. A tractor backhoe is pretty compromised for stumps. There's a lot of repositioning, and they're a pain to reposition. And they're not really a good machine for stumps anyway - stumps are surprisingly hard work particularly for a small machine. You'll work it hard.

A big machine would do a simply amazing job on stumps, it's hard to comprehend. A big excavator or a dozer will just drive through them and it'll be done. What would take you months with a tractor backhoe would take a guy a day with a big machine.

I think the first few stumps would be fun (I did one around here with Dad's mini-ex - took me 2 hours but I enjoyed it). The next 50 would be a chore.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I think Potreeboy has a point. I have 40 acres heavily wooded in PA where I have my Bx23S. I had rented the same machine several times to help friends and for some side work. Renting it really made me aware of its potential for what I wanted/needed in a tractor while staying in the budget. Also it fits right into my drive in basement perfect. Works for me so far. I have only had it for a few months, and 12 hours on it, but still love it. I will be using it in the spring to clear some trails and areas to hang out near the stream.
It is definitely a chore to dig up stumps if bigger than 8 inches, but some I might just cut flush to the ground and move on.
Just my opinion.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've had both a BX23 tlb and a B series tractor for quite some time. You'd quickly appreciate the 3 speed rear of the B series for working and getting around your property. Most of the "work" you'd be doing on the BX would be in low range...and it's painfully slow.

I would also echo the comments above on stump removal. If your stumps are 8-12", the small backhoe on a BX (or B series for that matter) is the wrong tool for the job unless you have loads of time, and even more patience. I have a hoe on my B2650 and very rarely use it for stump removal. The stump grinder can do the job in a fraction of the time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've had my BX23s for 2 years now and it'll never have a MMM. I bought it to dig and carry stuff ,NOT cut grass. on my 1.5ac. For what Kubota wants for the MMM, I can buy several used but good 'riding lawnmowers'. I can't see you needing a mower UNTIL the house is built an then landscaped. There are several riders that'll handle 2 acres,maybe even upgrade to a zeroturn ? My point is you could save a whack of cash if you do not buy the MMM today. My current 'rider' is 20 years old, 22hp,46" deck,runs just fine.
I'm guessing anyone with a TLB does remove the L and B before mowing ? to remove weight and increase cornering ? Have to admit, if you want a LOT of 'seattime', you'll get it removing stumps with the BX23s ! There are better,faster,easier ways to get rid of stumps. cheap is cut trunk low, bowl it out, add diesel,wait a day,bit of gas, let er 'slowburn' out over a few days.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Everybody’s thoughts on backhoes are unique to their experiences, here’s mine:
I’ve had a small backhoe on my JD750 since 1985. When I bought the new B2650 there was no question that the backhoe would be on it from the start. And yup, they are initially pricey, however:

Regarding stump removal: I added the BXpanded ripper tooth shortly afterwards and it’s a game changer when it comes to removing stumps. And sometimes the stumps do need to be removed. The tooth drastically cuts both the time and effort to remove a stump. The Woodland Mills stump grinder really does a nice job of grinding when they don’t need removing. But having the pricey backhoe handy vs renting has to be weighed against convenience too. Theirs no doubt my first backhoe paid for itself many times over and still works fine but is sidelined due to its tractor issues after 30 years.

The new BH77 is so easy to install/remove compared to my older one. Just a few of the jobs accomplished with the old one (besides stump removal): Footings dug for step foundations and garage/shed additions, escape window wells dug and installed, shrubs and trees planted and relocated, dry wells and French drains dug, my septic line repaired, hard ground broken up for gardens and others, cleaning drainage ditches/troughs, clearing heavy brush for trails, etc. I even installed a complete septic system in a spot where the person couldn’t get larger equipment in. the new BH on the B2650 is also used at least once a week around here. If you need to dig a hole, pluck a shrub to move, or anything that requires the use of a shovel; the backhoe is your best friend. The neighbors like you having one too and return the favors with their specialties. Having the backhoe on larger acreage is a lot different than having a backhoe on a small lot that once developed doesn’t find much use for it anymore.

It’s so much quicker to go to the shed and hook up to it than a trip to the rental place to get one when you need it. The time saved for all the small jobs and doing them at that moment rather than piling them up for a planned rental unit is worth considering. Not to mention those times that you need to get something dug right away, as in a broken water line or septic issues. It happens. A friend’s outdoor water hydrant froze and broke the fitting underground. We had it dug up, pipe repaired, and a new hydrant installed now just inside his barn in an easy afternoon. That neighbor is ready at a moment’s notice to return the favor as he was sure he was looking at a very expensive repair that needed fixing right away.

I even dug a horse shaped grave once for a friend’s old horse that needed to be put down. And just recently my previous internet provider suddenly quit so I had to scramble and dig a new trench to relocate my internet pole to a new spot through the woods to pick up the only other possible provider.

I’ll think of other jobs after I post this. But all this just to say that like loaders, grapples, and other implements……once you have a BH you’ll find many more uses for it than you originally thought of. The convenience and saving time and your back on all the small jobs that you’ll use it for is worth your consideration.

Z28McCrory

Equipment
still shopping
Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
I really appreciate everyones replies. It's helping to pull me out of the long rabbit hole I've went down, and re-examine priorities, etc.

So here is a huge curve ball that I'll bring into the discussion (please don't run me out of here!). I stopped by a John Deere dealer today just to compare...

They had a couple 1025Rs in stock, and though I thought I had ruled out a tractor that size, it seems to have a lot of the pro's of the BX, and addresses many of the cons. It doesn't have the fragile cooling fan (don't have to worry about sticks in the woods), it has a true 3P height selector (instead of the inching valve on the BX), and the loader capacity seems to be a nice increase over the BX. From everything I've seen, its sort of a cross between a B2601 living inside the body of a slightly beefier BX. I also prefer the way the front loader comes off compared to the quick-tach on the Kubota, and the way the MMM deck hook up seems to be more well thought out than the BX I looked at.

There was also a HUGE difference is how the dealer treated me. At the Kubota dealer I only got about 10-15 minutes of the sales mans time before they seemed like they were ready to scoot me out the door. The John Deere dealer was the polar opposite. They ended up spending over 2 hours with me... they pulled the tractor into their warehouse to let me test drive it (the JD dealer offered this at the very beginning without me even asking...the Kubota dealer never offered even after my 2nd visit to look). This particular JD dealer is about 45 minutes away from the property I'm buying, and the Kubota dealer is only about 15... but man... I appreciate the experience at the JD dealer so much more.

I must say... I absolutely loved the 1025R. After driving it, it seems like exactly the size I was originally envisioning. I was also extremely impressed with how tight the turning radius is... I immediately noticed it as I was driving. I can see it being perfect for mowing... and after watching some videos it seems the 1025R has a considerably tighter turning radius than even a BX.

The quote the JD dealer gave me for the 1025R w/loader & bucket, a 60" MMM, 3rd function kit installed, and a 53" Grapple was $20,700. A backhoe added $5800 (so $26,500 total).

Thats weighing on my mind heavily now. I definitely loved the size of it. Now to decide... is the B2601 a better choice for a few thousand more.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I can't say it any better than Post #8 by Dogger. I can't comment on LX since I have no experience with them, but having moved from BX to B I can share my thoughts.

Your property will need the heft of a B, prob 2650, and there are plenty of people who mow with a B. A BX, while capable, I think you will find its limits quickly. I was concerned a B series would be "too much" to lug around my densely wooded tiny 3 acre parcel. It fits in around here like a glove. Negotiates tight spots just like the BX did, and I appreciate its ground clearance and additional capabilities every hour I'm on the seat so far. Its footprint really isnt anything crazy.

The thing with Kubota, or any tractor, is that it's easy to incrementally increase yourself into an exponential of your original budget. To me that was the most difficult part of choosing, was knowing where to stop.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
As long as you are not cutting around a lot of things, a rear mower on a B series works real well in my experience.

You may think that after an initial period a backhoe will not be used much, but after 18 years I have not reached that point yet.

I have both a BX and a B series. Both are good tractors.

If you do not need a mid PTO have you considered an L2501?

Lots of good advice above...