BX23D Breather Vent added to Front Axle

1942farmall

Equipment
BX23D
Jan 9, 2022
California
After running my BX23D pretty hard for the better part of 7 hours wide open and in high gear 4wd pushing snow, I noticed that the left front pivot seal in the axle was weaping great oil. That was about a month ago.
Hasn't been run much since but did leak maybe a cup of gear oil.
I was going to replace the seals but after leaking for about 2 weeks it stopped.
When I started to remove the dipstick plug when getting ready to drain the oil, I discovered a bunch of pressure in the axle and enough for a bunch of oil to belch out when I removed the plug. I run 80/90 gear oil as oppossed to UDT as suggested by my dealership.
After speaking to a mechanic, he suggested that I add an axle vent plug and said it would most likely never leak again.
I did it yesterday but am curious if others that have added a vent or had a similar experience.
Thanks.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
This is my version of the front axle vent on a BX23. Now, if you have the habit of leaving or working your tractor with the front axle submerged in water for extended periods of time, I would not recommend this method. Modify one of the axle fill plugs as shown in the diagram. When reinstalled, air will vent in either direction by traveling between the inner wall of the plastic tube, and the screw threads. This has worked for me for over 5 years, but then again, it didn't leak oil before the vent was McGyvered.
breather.jpg
breather1.jpg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great idea - what is the bolt size of the fill plug?

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
After running my BX23D pretty hard for the better part of 7 hours wide open and in high gear 4wd pushing snow, I noticed that the left front pivot seal in the axle was weaping great oil. That was about a month ago.
Hasn't been run much since but did leak maybe a cup of gear oil.
I was going to replace the seals but after leaking for about 2 weeks it stopped.
When I started to remove the dipstick plug when getting ready to drain the oil, I discovered a bunch of pressure in the axle and enough for a bunch of oil to belch out when I removed the plug. I run 80/90 gear oil as oppossed to UDT as suggested by my dealership.
After speaking to a mechanic, he suggested that I add an axle vent plug and said it would most likely never leak again.
I did it yesterday but am curious if others that have added a vent or had a similar experience.
Thanks.
Nice looking solution and something I’ve toyed with doing for a while. Did you tap and thread a hole in the bolt, then screw in that elbow? If so, what size? What did you attach to the end in the engine compartment?

1942farmall

Equipment
BX23D
Jan 9, 2022
California
Nice looking solution and something I’ve toyed with doing for a while. Did you tap and thread a hole in the bolt, then screw in that elbow? If so, what size? What did you attach to the end in the engine compartment?
I did.
I went to Napa and got a 1/8-27 NPT taper x 1/4 barbed fitting that's 90 degree.
Drilled the factory bolt plug on the left side @ 21/64 and tapped it with the pipe taper tap the size noted.
The vent hose runs up and then along the air cleaner. There is a truck axle vent on the top end that let's pressure out but won't let water in.
You can see that in the second photo I posted.