BX2380 vs. BX2680

massbear

Jul 25, 2017
Greenfield,MA,US
Really struggling with the purchase decision on a 2380 vs. a 2680. Near as I can tell from the specs, they're the same machine except for the engine. My usage will be (in order of importance) a) lawn mowing, 1.5 acres b) brush mowing, 4 acres c) snow blowing, 700' paved drive d) loader usage, moving dirt and pushing autumn leaf piles and e) running a PTO backup generator.

I think the 2380 will work fine for everything but the generator, but might be underpowered for that usage.

I’d appreciate anyone's thoughts and experience! I've been going around and around on this. The cost diff. is about $2200 with tax (which makes little sense to me to buy 3 horsepower, but there it is.)

I'm also torn because I have a Deere dealer (with awful, awful service) 5 miles from my home, and my nearest Kubota dealer is about 30 country road miles away, so service might turn out to be a hassle. My favored Kubota dealer (bought a CCY EX3200 tractor from them a number of years ago) is just 100 miles away.

Thanks, guys!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have never heard anyone say gee I wish I didnt have so much HP,, yes the 2380 will do everything you want, but if it were me to do over again. I would go with the 26. Yes I know 2200 sounds like a bunch for 3 more hp, but if your going to run a tiller and snow blower and a hog, and a gen set,, those 3 extra ponies would come in pretty handy,,just MHO you understand

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I do every thing you are planning except the generator (and this year i wish i had one ) with my bx2350. I run a 48" tiller, mmm, 50" 3pt Farm King snow blower. About 300' of druve plus lots of sidewaljs and parking. Never had. Problem with power. Now, if I hsd my choice of new, I'd probably go Bx2680. I mow 3 acres of grass every 4 days.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I just, dropped in terms of horse power, from the 2670 to the 23S and have not noticed any difference in my uses since but I've not used the rear PTO nor pushed snow since. Just mowing and moving lots of dirt.
That said, $2200 for piece of mind knowing youve got enough doesn't seem too bad.
I also wouldn't pass up a good dealer for one with "awful, awful service".

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Personally - I would buy the 2380..........and take that extra 2.2k and buy a very nice stand-alone generator.

Making electricity via a pto tractor is great, but very inefficient. WHY? because the engine of that 3 cylinder is having to run at a very steady rpm to product the torque needed to make the power. At a typical rate of 3/4 gallon an hour or worse at that RPM, it will not last about 6-8 hours before you need to refill - all the while, you will not have the tractor to use if needed!

Now true - you can take a genny in the woods if need be or the tractor can sit outside in the ice storm that might have killed the power.

But if you want a house run generator - look at something like this: (right at 2K)

http://www.generac.com/all-products...ors/powerpact/powerpact-6998-8-circuit-switch

it will do all the work for you and more(except go in the woods) and you will have your tractor too! If you need power in the woods - get a small gasser that you can place in your FEL and transport to where you need the power.

Get the best of both worlds with the finances you have to use. That extra 3 hp might be felt in certain places only, and the SAD thing is, you will NOT get the 3 HP at the PTO - rather a little 1.8 HP at the PTO!!!! it will not help the pressure of the hydraulics, since they both have the same displacement pump.

Very rarely have I ever "bogged" down my engine, if I did, it was the fault of the operator and not the engine!!

I really do not think you will "see" the 2.5 actual HP difference in the movement or use of the machine, nor do I think the 1.5 will be needed in the PTO end.......all for the price of $2,200.

I will assure you - that 2380 will do stuff that will blow your mind, things you have not even thought of yet!!!!!:)

TRUE - like Skeets said, it never hurts to have too much HP....I think in this case you have plenty usable HP through the entire range of machine, and IF YOU need the genny - buy one that will run you house much better than a PTO one will! ALL of this for the same money!! Just my 2 cents!;):)

massbear

Jul 25, 2017
Greenfield,MA,US
Thanks to all for the advice! I guess I'm likely to go with the 2680, as a whole home genny isn’t practical for me. (Local codes and the layout of my house don't allow it to sit anywhere near the house, the UG conduit from my garage to my house doesn’t have room for the power feed, and and no street gas means running it on propane, which is expensive in my area.)

Thanks again. All the input is appreciated!

G

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Agree with 85Hokie....it's a very expensive 2HP that will likely make no difference to anything you want to do.

If you don't need whole-house back up power, consider one or two of the portable inverter style generators. I use a pair of Honda EU2000's for home back up, handles everything but central AC, just need to carefully select loads. And you have the bonus of 2 portable units for a variety of other remote uses, as well as incredible fuel efficiency. Just another angle to consider.

But either tractor you choose will impress, I'm sure.

Post back with pic's of your new rig!

Wolf515

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 12, 2017
North East, PA
Thanks to all for the advice! I guess I'm likely to go with the 2680, as a whole home genny isn’t practical for me. (Local codes and the layout of my house don't allow it to sit anywhere near the house, the UG conduit from my garage to my house doesn’t have room for the power feed, and and no street gas means running it on propane, which is expensive in my area.)

Thanks again. All the input is appreciated!

G
If you are looking at getting backup power you can look at the MEP series of generators. They are diesel powered and if neeed could be put on a trailer or some come mounted already.

I had the MEP-003a. It was a 10kw Onan powered diesel unit built in 1986. However the MEP-803a is the newer version and comes in a noise suppression cabinet. The MEP-803a also makes 10kw, however you can get the MEP-802a it will produce 5kw, however both the units will make quite a bit more power than that. Just for prospective my MEP-003a would run my well pump, electric hot water heater, and 1 burner on the electric stove.

Plus it's Diesel, something you probably already will need to have for your tractor. If you want to know more let me know I have lots of info on the MEP generator sets

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Like many here I haven't had both - I have a 2350. But everything I've read tells me that you run out of traction long before you run out of HP, and pretty much anything small enough for the BX to carry it will run fine with 23hp. $2,200 is a fair bit of money.

I've looked at PTO generators, and so far as I can tell dedicated generators of one sort or another are better in just about every respect. Intuitively it makes sense to use your tractor, but in reality a dedicated unit runs better, uses less fuel, load follows better, runs quieter.

My 23HP runs a PTO chipper fine, mows fine, runs the loader fine.

Another option to think about would be the B2601. I believe that machine has the use for 26HP, it has a more powerful loader pump, lifts more, more traction. But even with that machine I'd still suggest a standalone generator.