BX2380 >NEEDS a Tiller That Covers It's Tracks

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Bare with me folks, I'm new here on the forum.

I'm buying a BX2380, and I'm looking for a tiller. The dealer is pushing the offset (391lb) RTA1242. I'm not too keen on how narrow it is. There's also the no offset (421lb) RTA1250. The dealer told me it would not work. In my mind, given the PTO HP and the amount of weight that 3PH can lift, why wouldn't it work?

The tiller will be used mainly for busting up pre-exhisting Sod in early Spring and replanted.

Am I stuck with the 42" offset?

Educate me please.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Messicks rents the Land Pride RTR0550 for sub compact tractors. The Landpride site indicates that tiller is suitable for the BX. The Landpride site also states the RTA1250 is suitable for a BX.

I think I would rent one for a day before you buy to see how it performs

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Messicks rents the Land Pride RTR0550 for sub compact tractors. The Landpride site indicates that tiller is suitable for the BX. The Landpride site also states the RTA1250 is suitable for a BX.

I think I would rent one for a day before you buy to see how it performs
I wish we had a place near, to rent specific tillers, or tillers in general. The Deere dealer is the nearest tractor related, for 60 miles. My situation, I'm wanting to add a tiller to the BX package I'm about to buy.

I'm in agreeance with your findings, as I found (based on specs) the BX would be fine running the 431LB 50" RT.

Thanks for chiming in.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Go with a 50" or 54" tiller. No need to mess with offset. The 3 pt will easily lift one. Might have to work it slower than a 42", but it can be done and weight is no problem. I have a 700 lb. aerator that my 2380 handles just fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Go with a 50" or 54" tiller. No need to mess with offset. The 3 pt will easily lift one. Might have to work it slower than a 42", but it can be done and weight is no problem. I have a 700 lb. aerator that my 2380 handles just fine.
Holee molee, thats an aerator. The 3pt type are nice. That's pretty impressive the 3PH picks that up, even if it is minimally.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll definitely look into it. 31 Lbs difference is not much.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I would go with this. My brother's kid has JD 1025 with a bigger tiller and it gives it a load but going slower works. If you get one pass done just do half laps if it has trouble, which I don't figure will be the case. The slower you go the finer the till cuts the soil. Bear in mind that the dryer the soil the tougher it is to dig in. I use a 42 inch on the Honda 5518 (18 horsepower) which works fine. Sometimes the dealer tries to get rid of what he has laying around. Personally I would not buy any offset tiller. I do the half lap thing sometimes with the walk behind rear tine. I only own 5 tillers so I have choices when it comes to tilling.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My bible is a year or so old but it’s probably still fairly relevant…here are pics from any of the units to me that looked like there was an offering for a B or Bx…meaning under 25hp….there are more from landpride but I think they need 25 or more HP.

Regardless what you buy or rent…
IMO, I would scrape the sod off with the bucket (toothbar may be helpful) and till after the sod is removed.

Also before buying, if not familiar with the area and soil, get a shovel and dig down and make sure you don’t have 3inches of soil and then rock. Basically make sure you can use the tiller before buying.

if renting or buying make sure about the proper PTO shaft length…. I am not sure how that works but you could hurt your machine if length is correct.

edit: I would also question why want an RTA vs an RTR? I think and RTR does better but I’ve not used one with a BX. I havewith a B and an MX and to me the B is negligible difference to the BX to not want the RTR…but I don’t know myself. MYbe worth considering.

Good luck. 🥃

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
have to ask , how BIG is this 'garden' ? 1/4ac,1 ac, 10 acres ????? Size matters only with respect to time. It's takes a LOT of time to bust up sod with a tiller, any tiller. Can it be done, sure but really hard on the equipment.

It doesn't matter what tiller you put behind your tractor, churning SOD into garden soil is NOT easy or fast !! Rototiller are designed to pulverize SOIL into finer SOIL.
Even chewing it up with cultivators is tough and time consuming, BTDT.
If possible get a plow and turn over the sod,wait 1-2 weeks, disc it,wait a week THEN rototill.

After sod has become soil, any 48-52" tiller will work GREAT for you,just be sure to add LOTS of compost EVERY year.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I, too, am mulling info re: tillers. While our orange may not want a green tiller, some of the info I have seen make the green brand seem a bit better. The issue of gear vs chain seems to be related to soil and actual care and use, although I don't fully know. A slip clutch seems to be a requirement vs a shear pin so that's a consideration, too. I'll keep monitoring this thread to see if more knowledge pops up. I'm sure it will!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My Montana tiller ( Made in Italy) is 13-15 years old, 5', has a shear pin. Every year I break 3 or 4 'finding' new softball sized rocks that were NOT there, the year before. It's also chain driven, so 2x a year check tension and grase it of course.
It'd be nice to downsize to a 48 as I don't need the 'beast' anymore . All the plots are well tilled and composted.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have a RTA1258 and run this with a LX2610 which is a bigger frame, but, only slightly higher horsepower engine(24.8 HP@engine, 19 HP @ PTO) and have tilled virgin ground at a respectable speed. I would have no concerns with RTA1250 behind the BX2380. For your own information and some giggles ask the dealer if a RTA1250 would work behind the BX2680. My old BX2370 had a 4 foot rotary cutter and the BX had no problem lifting that even with a few hundred pounds on the deck(I used the mower as a trailer occasionally to move stuff from garage to pole shed). What the PTO HP of the BX your looking at?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased a Landpride tiller about 3 years ago and never used it once. The fellow that I purchased it from used it once. Every time I walk by it, I think that is should sell it since I really have no use for it, but then I think that the time will come when I will want to use a tiller and not have it. I have bought and sold so many different implements that I can't remember them all, but the one that I regret selling the most was a 48" finish mower that looked like it just was delivered. Since I sold my BX22 with a mid-mount mower, I have been using a ZTR, but I just can't get comfortable using it.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My bible is a year or so old but it’s probably still fairly relevant…here are pics from any of the units to me that looked like there was an offering for a B or Bx…meaning under 25hp….there are more from landpride but I think they need 25 or more HP.

Regardless what you buy or rent…
IMO, I would scrape the sod off with the bucket (toothbar may be helpful) and till after the sod is removed.

Also before buying, if not familiar with the area and soil, get a shovel and dig down and make sure you don’t have 3inches of soil and then rock. Basically make sure you can use the tiller before buying.

if renting or buying make sure about the proper PTO shaft length…. I am not sure how that works but you could hurt your machine if length is correct.

edit: I would also question why want an RTA vs an RTR? I think and RTR does better but I’ve not used one with a BX. I havewith a B and an MX and to me the B is negligible difference to the BX to not want the RTR…but I don’t know myself. MYbe worth considering.

Good luck. 🥃
In total, I have around a 1/2 acre of grass I want to replant. The property was originally developed and built-on in the early 70s. Since then the original home burnt to the ground, then rebuilt. The ground is soaked and soggy and very green in the fall/winter/spring, then everything dries to a hard/compact/brown, Mole tunnel laiden, ankle twisting mess through the dry season. My plans are to change that.

I plan to remove the top layer of sod, (Box Scraper ripper shanks to break it up) then till to remove the high spots. I then plan to till out the whole area, then float and level.

I've read and heard the RTR models to be better for turning the top layer of sod, and better fluffing for a garden. My having never run a tiller, I'm not sure if my project would be better/easier with forward, or reverse rotation.

Last edited:

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I rented this tiller from my local Farm Store/Kubota Dealer. It worked well with my BX2200. I had to leave the loader on to counter the weight.
tiller.JPG

TillerOnTractor.JPG

I rented this tiller a couple years back. It also worked well, but was not nearly as heavy. I was able to use it without the FEL attached. Neither one is an off set model and both covered my tracks.
IMG_4509.JPG

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The first, haha, hard no. It's good to know your tractor ran that beast!

The 2nd, what model is that?