BX2380 80W/90W front axle?

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
My dealer is recommending 80W/90W for my front axle. That’s not what the book says but just wondering if anyone else is using it? Did the 50 hour a little early and the fluids were very thin. The dealer told me they put 5W in at the factory.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Factory front axle fill is SUDT2 in the BX80.

When the time comes, that's what I personally will put back in it. YMMV.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am not sure what this year's BXs come from the factory with in the front axle, but my L3560 and B2650 came with SUDT2. At the first recommended change, at least one dealer has recommended to me that I use 80/90 oil instead. While some people say that the seals hold up better with that oil, others including Kubota say that SUDT2 does not cause leaks. However one Kubota tech was of the opinion that the thicker oil would be lost at a slower safer rate in the event of a leak. The manuals say either oil is fine. Take your choice.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
I am not sure what this year's BXs come from the factory with in the front axle, but my L3560 and B2650 came with SUDT2. At the first recommended change, at least one dealer has recommended to me that I use 80/90 oil instead. While some people say that the seals hold up better with that oil, others including Kubota say that SUDT2 does not cause leaks. However one Kubota tech was of the opinion that the thicker oil would be lost at a slower safer rate in the event of a leak. The manuals say either oil is fine. Take your choice.
Thanks for your reply. My dealer did say I would probably have leaks with the thinner oil. I already put the 80W/90W in so I’ll see how It goes. I don’t know what the dealers charge for the 50 hour service but it cost me $200.00 just for all the filters and fluids. I did replace all fluids and filters though. Book doesn’t call for fuel filters or changing trans fluid but my dealer recommended it so I did it.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
When I got my BX24, the fluid was below the dipstick. The seals on the right side were leaking. I filled the axle with 80w90 and it stopped leaking. There is no reason you need to run SUD fluid in the front axle since it***8217;s all gears and bearings. In my opinion, gear oil is a better choice.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
When I got my BX24, the fluid was below the dipstick. The seals on the right side were leaking. I filled the axle with 80w90 and it stopped leaking. There is no reason you need to run SUD fluid in the front axle since it***8217;s all gears and bearings. In my opinion, gear oil is a better choice.

Thanks. I feel better knowing others agree with my dealer.:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The owners manuals for both my M's and my previous Grand L 5030 all said SUDT or UDT or 80-90 gear oil. I use 80-90 GL5 Hypoid oil in both the M's front axles. I do that for shock load reasons but my owners manuals say I can. Could be intrinsic to those tractors, not sure. Next to the last axle lube change I used 85-140 Spirax with no issue but this last time it was 80-90 Spirax instead.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
J-D did a long term study on the issue.

Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO) returned LONGER SEAL LIFE over gear lubrication.

NOTE CLOSELY! 80-90 gear lube is of similar viscosity to 30-40 wt engine oil.

They are classified under two entirely different scales of measurement.

Saying 80-90 gear oil is 'thicker' , so it leaks past defective or worn seals less, is ignorance.

Gear oils do have different additives. But present day UTTO is very capable!~

mkchad211

Jun 14, 2018
Sadieville, KY
Twomany - Do you have a link to that J-D study you referenced? I’m curious to see the methodology of the comparison. I would guess they filled two new axles with either hydraulic fluid or gear oil and then they tested seal life.

If that’s the basis of the study, then it would not seem analogous to the situation most of us have (where the axle seals have been pre-dosed with SUDT2 prior to being changed over to gear oil). I have a hard time imagining that the gear oil would extract all the seal conditioners, etc. from the axle seals that was initially deposited by the SUDT2.

As far as the viscosity vs leak rate debate, isn’t it similar to the High Mileage motor oil scenario? All of the stat sheets I’ve seen for those oils have a thicker viscosity than their standard oil types. So, I tend to believe thicker oil leaks slower...and gear oil is a lot thicker than SUDT2 (by my pouring experience in maintaining my tractor).

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
GL5 Hypoid oil has a shock load additive (sulfur base additive) that mitigates shock load damage. UDT nor SUDT don't (far as I know at least). Far as viscosity goes, 80-90 (API rated gear oil) is substantially heavier than UDT or SUDT. Prove it to yourself and pour some of each and observe the pour rate.

I'll stick with gear oil in my application, you use whatever you want to. In 10 years of ownership I have never had a seal problem on either of my Kubota's front axles. Besides, it's interchangeable, I use 80-90 GL5 in the gearboxes on all my driven implements.