BX2370 Noise

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Hey guys, I have a BX2370 that I bought used with about 300 hrs on it. It makes a fairly loud noise at the rear of the tractor. Sometimes I notice it more than others. Today it seemed very noticable. It is pretty loud at the operator seat, but definitely seems to be coming from the rear.

I was going to post a video that I took that captured the sound pretty well but I don't know how to post a video on here.

It kind of sounds like the whistle a turbo would make or a bad bearing even. It goes up and down with engine rpm and doesn't seem to change based on movement or hydraulic use.

I've read on hear about some BXs having a pretty noisy hydro. It sounds different than the normal hydro whine you get when you are moving or under load.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is the normal BX hydro noise or if I've got a problem.

I checked the hydro fluid and it's a good bit over the full mark and it looks the have the original hydro filter on it so I know the filter at the very least should be changed.

Thanks,

John

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Do a fluid and filter change, and make sure to clean the filter screen on the left side of the tractor. Then see if the noise goes away. The previous owner might have used incorrect fluid to top off the hydro. While you are at it, you might as well do all the other services that are probably been neglected, such as draining and refilling the front axle.

Reactions: 3 users

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Do a fluid and filter change, and make sure to clean the filter screen on the left side of the tractor. Then see if the noise goes away. The previous owner might have used incorrect fluid to top off the hydro. While you are at it, you might as well do all the other services that are probably been neglected, such as draining and refilling the front axle.
Thanks. That was already on my list to do, but now I'll make it a priority. I'm hoping that takes care of it.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Here is a link to the video. You can here it pretty well I think....

Phone videos usually exaggerates sounds so it's hard to tell. I can hear what you're likely hearing but my BX is kind of loud sounding at times. It's 2020 with only 57 hours but if I held a phone to it it might sound the same way.

I would definitely change all fluids now though.. past due! or at least the filter is..

Reactions: 1 user

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
That's what i was hoping to hear. It just doesn't sound like a normal hydro whine like you hear when moving which is what got me worried.

Phone videos usually exaggerates sounds so it's hard to tell. I can hear what you're likely hearing but my BX is kind of loud sounding at times. It's 2020 with only 57 hours but if I held a phone to it it might sound the same way.

I would definitely change all fluids now though.. past due! or at least the filter is..
I don't really feel like it sounded any worse in the video than it what I was actually hearing. Maybe... hard to tell I guess. I'm always a little paranoid about sounds when I buy something used. I felt like I got a pretty good deal on the tractor when I bought it, but that kinda goes out the window if it ends up in need of an expensive repair lol.

I will definitely change out the hydro fluid and filter and clean the screen. I changed the engine oil and filter, lubed everything and changed the air and fuel filters first thing when I bought it. I only have about 10hrs or so of use since I bought it.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
It does have more of a whine than mine, others will chime in with waay more knowledge than me. I guess you probably already know the original filters are Kubota gray in color from being painted along with frame and other..

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
It does have more of a whine than mine, others will chime in with waay more knowledge than me. I guess you probably already know the original filters are Kubota gray in color from being painted along with frame and other..
Yes that's how I know the filter is original.

Although not as loud, does your bx have the same type of whine as mine?

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yes that's how I know the filter is original.

Although not as loud, does your bx have the same type of whine as mine?
I've listened to it a couple times and no I don't think mine has the high pitch whine that yours has. Sounds like it's being choked, that's just my thinking on it!😏 I'm fairly new to diesel and hydraulics too so I'm hoping more will chime in to give info.
For sure get the fluids and filters changed and Don't forget the filter screen on the left rear seperate from the filters.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mine sounds similar, but not as "sharp" or loud.

I'm 3 changes in on a 400+ hour tractor in 9 years. Whine lessens each time. Not scientific, just my impression.

I think a full HST service, including the screen, will help greatly.

Use SUDT2 for fluid. OEM filter.

Reactions: 1 users

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
I'll get the hydro service done as soon as I can get to the dealer for a filter and some sudt 2.

I'll report back after that.

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
I'm going to get my hydro service taken care of next weekend. But in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion of if my BX hydro noise is common or "normal".

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Ok, hydro service done with Sudt2, oem filter and cleaning strainer. There was a small amount of metal shavings in the strainer.

Here is a link to a video I took after service.

I don't hear much difference. It is not noticeable from the seat while operating with ear plugs in.

Should I worry?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is the 3 point hitch all the way up to the top stop? If so lower it to bottom. Just checking to see if it’s going into relief. Can happen, and can cause a bunch of problems.

Still sounds sharp/high pitched, but I’ve never recorded mine like that.

I would use it and keep an eye on it, or more properly, an ear on it…..

Reactions: 1 users

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
The 3 point was lowered when I took that video. The sound only seems to change in relation to engine speed. Raising or lowering the 3 point or loader don't seem to have any effect on it.

Interestingly to me is that I don't notice the sound right away when I start the tractor at idle. I start to hear it after I let it warm up a few mins then increase the throttle.

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Here is a video at idle when I first started it after service. I let it idle for ten minutes before raising the throttle or moving the hydraulics.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It doesn’t sound to unusual…can’t say I ever listened to one on the phone though. It seems to have a higher pitch than mine. But I don’t know what that really means. What the dealer say? I normally wear ear plugs, and in the off occasion when I don’t have them in it sounds aweful. It worries the shit out of me…so I gonget my plugs and sounds like what I am used to and drive on. In my opinion the smaller tractors make a lot more whine than the L and MXs. Not really sure why, but my B requires ear plugs for the HST..not because of the diesel. If dealer did not worry about the noise, put some plugs in or muffs on and go enjoy the tractor.

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
I showed one of the guys at the dealership the video and he didn't really have an answer. He said maybe the hydro pump was starting to go bad, but usually that would be accompanied by other symptoms. I don't think he was a tech though. I think he was the rental manager.

It was Saturday and the service department wasn't open.

I don't really notice it when I have my hearing protection in, which is almost always unless I'm just starting it to warm it up or hooking something up.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Does everything seem to work fine as far as you can tell? If I make it out to mine I'll video it to see if it sounds similar. Doubt I'll post video though too technical!😊