BX2350 Steering Cylinder repair

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I have a 2008 BX2350 that has developed a steering cylinder leak at about 475 hours. Rebuild seal kit is on order. It looks like it SHOULD be fairly easy to change all the O-rings. From those that have already done this, is there anything I should be careful of or look out for when doing this repair?

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the last time I used the BX everything was fine. When I started it the other day, it just started to leak hyd. oil BAD from the right steering cylinder seal. I got it shut down before it leaked out more than a pint of oil. Is this typical of this type of seal failure? When they do fail, is it usually a rapid failure or not?

I'll post pictures when I get to doing this, IF it isn't too cold.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice.

Dave

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
O rings are simple. The seals require proper orientation. Be sure to take notice of how the old ones come out and put the new ones in with the lip in the right direction. Use plenty of hydraulic oil when installing to avoid stretching. If the internal seals are hard to install, heat them in boiling water to soften them. These seals are something that just give up and leak. They might last 2 years the3y may last forever. it's just luck of the draw. With a little mechanical ability, it's pretty easy.

Mike

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
O rings are simple. The seals require proper orientation. Be sure to take notice of how the old ones come out and put the new ones in with the lip in the right direction. Use plenty of hydraulic oil when installing to avoid stretching. If the internal seals are hard to install, heat them in boiling water to soften them. These seals are something that just give up and leak. They might last 2 years the3y may last forever. it's just luck of the draw. With a little mechanical ability, it's pretty easy.

Mike
rentthis,

Thanks for the tips. I think I can handle it.

Parts SHOULD be here today. Probably will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday when the weather warms up a bit to get things fixed.

I'll try to post pictures of the repair when done.

Dave

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
It's not a bad job at all. I just replaced the o-rings and seals on my BX1800 last Sunday afternoon. Don't forget to tap the outer seal and cap inward about 1/8" into the tube so you can get the wire lock ring to come out. Having two small picks will help alot in the replacement of the seals and o-rings. Good luck!

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
It's not a bad job at all. I just replaced the o-rings and seals on my BX1800 last Sunday afternoon. Don't forget to tap the outer seal and cap inward about 1/8" into the tube so you can get the wire lock ring to come out. Having two small picks will help alot in the replacement of the seals and o-rings. Good luck!
67Truckin,

Thanks for the tip on the picks and the end cap. Looking at the WSM instructions, it says to drill a small hole over the snap ring and pry it out that way. :confused: I like YOUR idea better.

Too cold and too many errands to run today, so I'll post pictures when I get to the repair in the next few days after it warms up a bit.

Dave

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Well, I got the seals and o rings changed. The whole thing was harder to get apart than going back together. Worked on it about 4 hours yesterday getting it apart and about 3 hours today putting together and testing. Quite the learning experience. I didn't have the special KUBOTA tools for separating the ball joints or pressing out the cylinder end guides, but I made due with what I have.

After getting together I cycled the steering lock to lock about 5 times to get all the air out of the tube and lines. NO LEAKS ! ! ! :D Over all, with the wife spotting the leak, I only lost about a pint and a half of oil. Good eye on her part. :)

Sorry, no pictures. Grabbed the camera and it was dead. checked batteries, all corroded. Camera is now junk.

Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions that made this go very easy.

Dave

Country Farmer

Equipment
BX2360/loader/54" mower/snow blower/tiller
Aug 24, 2016
Lockport, MB Canada
I did my BX 2360 yesterday but had different symptoms Free turning of steering wheel to right with no response of the wheels. Used 2 picks to get snap rings out and the way the cylinder grooves are designed, the "O" rings get damaged on the way apart. Replaced all seals and rings noticing either the center ram seal is either a changeup or mine was worn smooth. All went well and now steering back to normal

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I did my BX 2360 yesterday but had different symptoms Free turning of steering wheel to right with no response of the wheels. Used 2 picks to get snap rings out and the way the cylinder grooves are designed, the "O" rings get damaged on the way apart. Replaced all seals and rings noticing either the center ram seal is either a changeup or mine was worn smooth. All went well and now steering back to normal
Country Farmer,

Like you, I found the center seal to be flat also. I figured it was just worn out. I think that the cylinder could have been better designed, as the o ring seals on the end guides will self destruct on removal. So, IF it had to be removed, for any reason, new o rings would HAVE to be replaced.

Over all, I think mine went rather well. Not having the SPECIAL tool to remove the ball joint from the wheel end was a SMALL problem, but I worked around it. I know that IF I have to do this again, I will have to get stronger picks for removing the internal snap rings. Mine were not designed for that use, but they DID work.

Again, sorry for no pictures. Camera pooped out on me and no money in budget for replacement.

Dave

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I'll be doing my bx2350 this spring probably. It is starting to require minor turning of the wheel when on a crowned road to maintain a straight line. Can't be too hard. I used to replace the hight pressure cylinder seals (leather and rubber) on my VAC Case about every other year. New replacement parts are not as good as the originals

Mike
2014 Chrysler 300
1970 VW beetle
2006 Ford Freestyle
2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2013 Passport 2920bh GT
BX2350
and a bunch of other crap