BX23 Skid Plate

Greensyn

Equipment
BX23, FEL, BH with Bro-Tek thumb, wheel spacers, clamp-on receiver hitch for FEL
Apr 29, 2013
Catonsville, MD
I am a relatively new forum member but have had a BX23 for several years. I have read how susceptible the under carriage is to damage--especially the cooling fan--so I am interested in a skid plate. Bro-Tek makes a two piece skid plate and BXpanded makes a less expensive one-piece plate that is easy to remove. BXpanded confirmed that they do not make one for a BX23 but lists ones for 2350, 2360 and BX24. Does anyone know if any of these have the same frame dimensions as the BX23? Are there any other companies that make a skid plate for the BX23?

The reason that BXpanded gave for not making one for the BX23 is that they have not been able to locate one to measure and prototype. They are located in Shelby, NC so if there is a BX23 owner close by, they might be interested in talking to you.

Thanks in advance for your help as I have not been able to locate a thread on this subject.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Actually Bro-Tek makes three under carriage plates, I don't have the third one mounted yet, but my son will hopefully be able to do so next week.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I would reverse those bolts, and maybe switch to (tacked/captured) carriage head bolts to smooth out the bottom side. Based on off road trucks, anything hanging down is likely to hang you up in a bad place, and very shortly those bolts will be buggered to a point you'll never get them off without cutting anyway. At the very least, I would cut flush with the nut and add lock-tite to keep from backing off.

I've also seen HUMWPE (like white plastic commercial cutting boards) used for effective low friction skid plates in trucks and buggies. No reason it wouldn't work for a tractor too.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I'd settle for nothing less than the full piece or 3pc when it comes to a skid pan. You might have to make one yourself of get a shop to fabricate one for you.
These little tractors and their HST fan need all the protection they can get. I built my own for our BX25D.

Attachments

Last edited:

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Wildfire has a point to make your own. I would make it out of poster board first for template to then make out of medal. Not sure of what type plating would be best since the fan is under tractor. I like the one wildfire made his with holes.

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I would reverse those bolts, and maybe switch to (tacked/captured) carriage head bolts to smooth out the bottom side. Based on off road trucks, anything hanging down is likely to hang you up in a bad place, and very shortly those bolts will be buggered to a point you'll never get them off without cutting anyway. At the very least, I would cut flush with the nut and add lock-tite to keep from backing off.

I've also seen HUMWPE (like white plastic commercial cutting boards) used for effective low friction skid plates in trucks and buggies. No reason it wouldn't work for a tractor too.
Yeah I was planning on reversing the bolts so they wouldn't be hanging down.

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Wildfire has a point to make your own. I would make it out of poster board first for template to then make out of medal. Not sure of what type plating would be best since the fan is under tractor. I like the one wildfire made his with holes.
I really like Wildfire's plate also. However his metal working skills FAR exceed what I am capable of doing.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did one out of an old coff coff street sign, them things are pretty tuff, a little interesting bending with out a brake but c clamps and a sturdy bench can make it happen,,

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I did one out of an old coff coff street sign, them things are pretty tuff, a little interesting bending with out a brake but c clamps and a sturdy bench can make it happen,,
LOL...funny you mention that because I have seen a few rectangular signs that I thought would fit the bill nicely. If it was 20 years ago me & some buddies would probably already have one on the bottom of the BX.

Greensyn

Equipment
BX23, FEL, BH with Bro-Tek thumb, wheel spacers, clamp-on receiver hitch for FEL
Apr 29, 2013
Catonsville, MD
OK...I posted the original thread so I wanted to get back to you all. Thanks for the responses but I still think that the one-piece skid plate is the best solution for my situation. It is really easy to install and remove for servicing, MMM, snow blower installation, etc. The responses were helpful but I still do not know how BX23's relate to 23XX model undercarriages.

I found a post that described the installation of the BXpanded skid plate and it looked very similar to my BX23.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=263830

Last Saturday I took some dimensions from my tractor and sent them off to BXpanded. It looked like they would fit to me. Harry got back to me the same day and said he would see how they matched up.

I look forward to what he finds out and will let you know.

Do any of you have a BX23?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do believe that all of the under carriages for the BX series are the same with the exception of the additional sub frame for the BH on those mdls.

davcog

Equipment
BX 23, Woods tiller, MMM
Mar 27, 2014
West Gardiner, Maine
I am stealing this idea from someone on another forum. Much more cost effective and he said he has had it on for 3 years with no problems.

Couple of questions:
Do you have picture of how it attaches to the rear?
Are the right angle pieces already on the tractor?
Have the MMM arms been removed?

If you built yours yet would you PM me the link you stole idea from.

I constructed a "new" skid plate for my snowmobile from a plastic VW gas tank. It is actually thicker than OEM skid plate.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
The owner of BXpanded used my BX23 to measure and design a skid plate for this model since l live about an hour away from their shop. The end product is excellent and easy to get on and off.

After going through all the work to replace my HST cooling fan, I decided it would be well worth it to get some under body protection. Now I drive into the brush and woods without worry about damage to the fan.

I do not work for BXpanded nor do I get paid by them. I needed a plate and Harry Clearman, the owner, needed at tractor to measure so we were able to get together for this project. Harry is great to work with and their shop is impressive. He definitely takes pride in making a quality well built product. I highly recommend any of his products. (I came home with a couple of others in addition to the plate)

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I really like Wildfire's plate also. However his metal working skills FAR exceed what I am capable of doing.
Ditto. Im looking for one you can leave the MMM on too. Brotec seems to be the only game in town for that and im not sold on his design yet...