BX2230 key does not tun off engine

tomtjp

Equipment
BX 2230
Jul 20, 2021
Troy Michigan
I can turn the key to off and the dash display shuts off... but the engine keep running. I have to reach in and manually choke it to actually stop. What do I need replace?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Your engine stop solenoid might have failed. When mine failed, the engine wouldn't start, until I replaced it. The best price that I found was on Amazon, and it came fast. I just checked for your model, and it cost $$24.50 on Amazon. I have no idea what the dealership will charge for this. It is an easy repair, and on my tractor, all that I needed was a metric allen wrench. I also changed filters at the same time.
I would also check to see if there might be a problem in the switch, since both are electromechanical parts, trying to figure out which one is the defective part can become tedious. In most cases, I diagnose first, but I have very limited knowledge about diesels, and the cost of the idle stop solenoid was very low, so I just took a guess as to what it was based on the symptoms, and guess right. On my diesel generator, I had the same problem, the solenoid had failed, and it wouldn't shut down, but that one, the solenoid is exposed, so I could see that it wasn't working, and shutting it down manually wasn't difficult. Ordered a replacement, and put it on, problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user

KRT

Jun 25, 2015
Ohio
I had a similar problem with my BX2230 and it was the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Easy fix to replace.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Your engine stop solenoid might have failed. When mine failed, the engine wouldn't start, until I replaced it. The best price that I found was on Amazon, and it came fast. I just checked for your model, and it cost $$24.50 on Amazon. I have no idea what the dealership will charge for this. It is an easy repair, and on my tractor, all that I needed was a metric allen wrench. I also changed filters at the same time.
I would also check to see if there might be a problem in the switch, since both are electromechanical parts, trying to figure out which one is the defective part can become tedious. In most cases, I diagnose first, but I have very limited knowledge about diesels, and the cost of the idle stop solenoid was very low, so I just took a guess as to what it was based on the symptoms, and guess right. On my diesel generator, I had the same problem, the solenoid had failed, and it wouldn't shut down, but that one, the solenoid is exposed, so I could see that it wasn't working, and shutting it down manually wasn't difficult. Ordered a replacement, and put it on, problem solved.
I bought a fuel cutoff solenoid off ebay/amazon a couple years ago, which cost about 20 percent of OEM Kubota price. Been working flawlessly since then...it is the way I would go...and will again if I ever need another...

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The WSM has the diagnostic information to determine what the failure is. It is basic and easy to follow. I would download and do the troubleshooting before replacing parts. It may indeed be the solenoid but if it is not why buy a part that you cannot return?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
check the fuse first! I had one go out as well, but it was just the fuse that went bad.

When I say check the fuse, I mean all of them. My old BX23 fuse block was mislabeled, so, when I checked the fuse labeled for the stop solenoid, that fuse was fine but it was actually for something else.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I can turn the key to off and the dash display shuts off... but the engine keep running. I have to reach in and manually choke it to actually stop. What do I need replace?
tomtjp,

First of all you need to use the right terminology. You are NOT reaching in to use the "choke". There is no choke on a diesel engine. You are probably pulling the fuel shut off with your hand. Use the diagnostics in the manual to figure out if it is the shut off solenoid, or the shut off solenoid fuse. Both are easy fixes.

Dave

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I had the same problem on my BX2230 a couple of years ago. It turned out to be a corroded connector on the shut off solenoid controller. It is mounted on the bulkhead under the dash on the left side. It engages the solenoid for about 8 seconds hen the key is turned off.
I pulled it apart and cleaned it up, and the problem went away.
Use a test light to see if power is applied to the solenoid for a few seconds when the key is turned off. If not, check the controller and the fuse. If there is power, check the ground on the solenoid, and test the solenoid for continuity. If the is more than a small amount of resistance (10-30 ohms) in the solenoid coil, it's bad.

Hope this helps.