BX2230 engine trying to die

bmxdale

Equipment
bx2230
Nov 3, 2012
Denton Tx
Hi, I have a kubota bx2230 that I've owned for a few months now and has 972 hours on it. About a month ago the engine would bog down like it wasn't getting fuel to it, so I replaced both fuel filters and it ran great for awhile. The tractor set on my trailer for about two weeks. It got rained on once and when I went to operate it after about 20 min it started to bog down again worse than last time tho. This time it almost died a few times when trying to scoop withthe front loader. Is there a chance I got water in the system? Or might I have another problem. I wa gonna try some fuel treatment and see I that does anything. Tips would be awsome thanks guys.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Maby a bad fuel pump. There are 2 fuel filters on that model. Did you change both??
He stated that he changed both filters.

How is the fuel flow BEFORE the fuel pump? I have read several threads here where the fuel tank outlet is plugged with debris.
The diesel fuel system on these tractors has a return line on them so the fuel is constantly circulating while the engine is running. The tank is where I would start.
If you had any water in the fuel system then you should see it in the fuel strainer bowl.
Let us know what you find.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Might be some junk in your tank and your new filters got plugged up right away. Drain fuel, make sure tank is clean, and install new filters again unless you think they are still clean.

bmxdale

Equipment
bx2230
Nov 3, 2012
Denton Tx
Ok UPDATE:

I replaced the air filter and used seafoam fuel treatment. I checked the fuel filters that i replaced a month back, they're still clean looking not black like last time. I disconnected the fuel line to the first filter from the tank. Fuel flowed smoothly thru it like it had no restriction. So I put the BX to work. I piled up a 5' mound of dirt in about 45min and ran smooth most of the way thru. After that 45 min it started to die out again. Came real close to death a few times but I let it idle and it came back to runnin smooth. It also wants to die on low idle. Would my fuel pump be going out? Like its getting weak after it warms up after runnin for 30min.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
When it is having issues dying, shut it off and again check the fuel flow from the tank. You could have a piece of debris that intermittently clogs the fuel supply. Does your fuel cap vent well? Again, when it is dying out, loosen the fuel cap and see if it picks back up.
Really the only way to make sure the tank isn't the problem is to pull it, drain it into a container and rinse it out with clean fuel and pour that into the same container. Look for crud coming out.

bmxdale

Equipment
bx2230
Nov 3, 2012
Denton Tx
Great tip. Now that I think about it. It happens when the front is dipped low. Or moving about. I'll check into soon and post back with results

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The top of the fuel cap has an ittybitty vent hole in it. Might need to take a toothpick and poke around and clean crap out of the vent.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Great tip. Now that I think about it. It happens when the front is dipped low. Or moving about. I'll check into soon and post back with results
maybe we're overanlyzing ... that sounds like an over sensitive seat kill switch, I had the same issue when I first got mine ..

jwcocker

Sep 19, 2009
Old Chatham NY
Hi, I have a kubota bx2230 that I've owned for a few months now and has 972 hours on it. About a month ago the engine would bog down like it wasn't getting fuel to it, so I replaced both fuel filters and it ran great for awhile. The tractor set on my trailer for about two weeks. It got rained on once and when I went to operate it after about 20 min it started to bog down again worse than last time tho. This time it almost died a few times when trying to scoop withthe front loader. Is there a chance I got water in the system? Or might I have another problem. I wa gonna try some fuel treatment and see I that does anything. Tips would be awsome thanks guys.
I just took my fuel tank out as I had the same problem as you. The sending unit has a ton of rust on it and would have been an ongoing source of debris. Ordering a new one and cleaning the tank the best I can. The tractor is 9 years old.