Bx2200

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
Going to look at a BX2200 with 900 hours Friday.
Don't know the year, but pictures look pretty good.

Has the belly mower and a FEL.

My interest is the FEL for light duty driveway maint. and everything else you would want one for!

I have read good reviews, anything to look for?

I am also looking at a JD 2305 in similar price range with same implements.

selectcut

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 1, 2016
Wales,MI,USA
I have a bx2200 my uncle bought new in 2001 it now has 1158 hours on it and is still in great shape. I love the compact size and it has more power than the FEL can handle. I run a 3pt snow blower in winter and mmm and 3 pt pto grass catcher.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Look underneath at the driveshaft that goes from the eng to the transmission. Make sure there is a fan on it and the blades are not broken. Ask owner if the steering momentary stops working when it gets hot. ie, Steering wheel turns but wheels do not.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
As said above the hst fan blades, oil around the steering knuckles (leaking seal)we installed oem breathers. We have 2 bx2230's a couple years newer they start good in the winter one with 1250hrs and the other with 700hrs and no problems with either. The mmm's are pretty tough, look at the belt to see what the condition is, and as for the loader check to see if the pins are being greased and the bucket is level, also check for a block heater. If you do buy the Kubota see if they still have the simple manual that came with it as there's a lot of good information in it. Good luck

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
The tractor is at a car lot, the owner of the place wheels and deals tractors on the side. The place has a pretty good reputation it has been around decades.

That being said, they don't know much about its history.
They did tell me they had all the manuals for the tractor.

The paint appears faded so its not been garage kept. But does look like its been undercover to some degree.

My first chance to see it in person will be Friday. I will take a look for what you guys have mentioned. I will try to find a video of the fan issue.

Also whats "mmm"?

They shot me a price including delivery that I can live with if everything else checks out. The JD is only a few miles down the road from this one, but right now this is the front runner. If all looks good, I won't even look at the JD.

I have a friend that lives next door, he has farmed his whole life. In nearly seven decades he has owned and worked lots of different machines.
He advised orange he also knows just what I will be doing with it. He has helped me out with the driveway several times over the years.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
seagullplayer, even though it's at a used car dealer, that is not necessarily a negative.

Owner may have used it as a trade in, which indicates he needed something on the lot more then he need this machine. Also, he gave the dealer his manuals. That tells me a lot about the previous owner. One, he either bought the tractor new and got the manuals right off the bat, or he bought the manuals later. Both indicate the owner was inclined to take care of his machinery and needed the manuals for that.

I can almost guarantee you the auto dealer will take a lessor price then he quoted when it comes down to you kicking tires and telling him about the JD you're also looking at.

After you check out the mechanical items listed by others above and they're OK, tell him you're buying a tractor today. One or the other. Ask him to write on a piece of paper his absolute lowest price, because by the end of the day you're buying a tractor. Now you have a firm commitment. You can buy it or go looking. He knows you're serious! And he wants your money and his lot cleared. He has to give you a good price or he's out, and salespeople don't like to lose a sale.

Salespeople always say they want to EARN your business. Let him earn it!

Have fun. Good luck.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I don't know this machine so these are just generic comments.

Look in the rad for anything oily.

Pull the dipsticks for the engine and hydraulics and smell them.

Look closely under the hood and behind the dash for signs of animal nests and patched up wiring from being chewed

Ask to be able to try it for an hour before buying it. Even cutting a vacant lot will tell you a great deal. Going for a road run during which you run the mower will give you a much better feel than getting it home, using it and then finding its overheating because the head gasket is blown.

Don't get rushed! Post some pictures here of the engine, the FEL and the rear of the tractor. More meaningful comments can then be made by those who have one.

Dave M7040

Dave M7040

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
I bought it!

Starts easy. Fan in the back was intact.

Oil in rear end looks good, oil in engine is due a change.

Spent a hour on it yesterday missing with the bucket, moving some limbs, scraping some rock on the drive.

All I could find wrong was easy fixes.
Both rear lights on the rollover bar where broken and only one head light worked. The red tail light cover on one side is broken.

This morning I replaced both lights on the bar with a couple from TS. I also made them quick disconnect, from what I read this is a common failure...

I found a broken wire to the none working headlight, it is now working.
Ordered a lens cover from a local dealer, should be here middle next week, less than three bucks.

I need a 5ft blade, I have a couple of feelers out. Rural King has them for less than $300, so I won't wait too long.

I would love to post a pic, but I have yet to figure anything out after photo bucket pulled the rug out from under me earlier this year.
Anyone got a free service they like for hosting pictures?

Thanks for the advice guys. I hope to post often.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
You can post photos here directly from your computer (and probably phone, too, but I don't use my phone for internet stuff) without using a photo hosting site, but if you want a new photo hosting site try Imgur.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Sounds good, one thing you might want to consider buying is a quick hitch so you not cursing while your hooking up various implements that you will buy, and if you do make sure that any implement you buy is quick hitch ready. Enjoy your new friend!

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I bought it!

Starts easy. Fan in the back was intact.

Oil in rear end looks good, oil in engine is due a change.

Spent a hour on it yesterday missing with the bucket, moving some limbs, scraping some rock on the drive.

All I could find wrong was easy fixes.
Both rear lights on the rollover bar where broken and only one head light worked. The red tail light cover on one side is broken.

This morning I replaced both lights on the bar with a couple from TS. I also made them quick disconnect, from what I read this is a common failure...

I found a broken wire to the none working headlight, it is now working.
Ordered a lens cover from a local dealer, should be here middle next week, less than three bucks.

I need a 5ft blade, I have a couple of feelers out. Rural King has them for less than $300, so I won't wait too long.

I would love to post a pic, but I have yet to figure anything out after photo bucket pulled the rug out from under me earlier this year.
Anyone got a free service they like for hosting pictures?

Thanks for the advice guys. I hope to post often.
I purchased a BX2200 in 2007 with 319 hours and sold it in 2016 with 1180 hours. I had really good luck with it during that time and its still going strong. During that time the only expense I had other that maintainance was I had the power steering rack rebuilt which was a common problem and not real expensive. I'll pass on a little advise a old implement dealer and friend gave me. I went in to buy a back blade from him and he recommended I get a box blade. I took his advise and never regretted it