BX2200 Cranks but Won't Start

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First of all - THANK YOU all for your wise troubleshooting ideas and advice.

No, my tractor is not fixed - but I have an update. Even though (after posting the video of my problem) many of you said it was not likely the result of a bad fuel cutoff solenoid, I tested it anyway and found something interesting. Since I had the new replacement solenoid mounted on the tractor I tested it by un-attaching it, grounding to the frame, and tried to start the tractor. The plunger retracted when the starter was cranking the engine and released (back to it's extended position) when the key was in the "run" position. The tractor did not start - same symptoms as before. For S&G's I decided to test my old solenoid in the same manner. To my surprise the solenoid behaved differently. Like before it retracted when the key was in the "cranking" position, but it stayed retracted while the key was in the "run" position. It released when I turned the key to the "off" position. Isn't this how the solenoid is supposed to operate? If so, my old solenoid is good and the new one I replaced it with is bad. Looking for confirmation from those of you who know better than me.

As for my tractor, I'm trying one last thing before schlepping it to the shop. I ordered three new fuel injectors that should arrive in a day or so. Even though I already removed and cleaned the old ones with no success, I'll see if new injectors solve the problem. If not, I've run out of ideas and will turn it over to the experts at my local repair shop. Thank again for your input.
-Jeff
Yes the old solenoid is working the way it should, and the new one is not.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I decided to test my old solenoid in the same manner. To my surprise the solenoid behaved differently. Like before it retracted when the key was in the "cranking" position, but it stayed retracted while the key was in the "run" position. It released when I turned the key to the "off" position. Isn't this how the solenoid is supposed to operate? If so, my old solenoid is good and the new one I replaced it with is bad. Looking for confirmation from those of you who know better than me.
Yes, that is the way the BX 2200 fuel cut off solenoid works normally.

I don’t remember, but have you checked the injectors by holding a piece of cardboard in front of them when you’re cracking the engine to make sure they are spraying fuel?

chyzikj

Equipment
Kubota BX2200
May 24, 2023
Yes, that is the way the BX 2200 fuel cut off solenoid works normally.

I don’t remember, but have you checked the injectors by holding a piece of cardboard in front of them when you’re cracking the engine to make sure they are spraying fuel?
No, didn't try that. Seems difficult to do as the rigid fuel tubing would have to be disconnected to remove the injectors, then bent and reattached to allow room for inserting a piece of cardboard to do the test. Am I missing something?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
No, didn't try that. Seems difficult to do as the rigid fuel tubing would have to be disconnected to remove the injectors, then bent and reattached to allow room for inserting a piece of cardboard to do the test. Am I missing something?
I don’t know. Hopefully someone who knows will respond. I’ve heard it recommended to do this but never considered how it is accomplished.

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
Don't know about other models, but removing line at injector, loosening at injector pump and turning it 180°. Retighten at pump. Of course I had to remove intake manifold but that was simple enough.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You never bend Injector lines!
You remove the line and attach it to the injection pump off to the side of the engine.
You will need to bleed all the air out of the line to test the injector.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is this different than rotating the lines as sitric mentioned in his post?
Similar, it's just on most models you can not rotate them, as they are behind or intertwined with the intake.

Reactions: 1 users