BX1880 Power

BX Woody

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, MMM, Bagger, Snow B
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I purchased the BX1880 with the snowblower, 48in deck & rear bagger. The snowblower works great, no issues with power, here in Canada it handles everything I’ve thrown at it. The grass side of things is a bit different. With the belly mower & rear bagger all running off the pto and while in 4WD I’ve noticed the rpms will drop a 1000rpm while coming up a fairly steep hill. I thought being in low range would improve the rpm drop but high range is actually better ( strange). I’m wondering if I had gone with the 23hp would it have made that much of a difference? My main reason for choosing the 1880 was the 48inch deck size to fit in my garage.

My dealer said they would both be about the same and to ease up on the peddle
Maybe it’s a break-in issue with everything being new and tight.....thoughts?

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I purchased the BX1880 with the snowblower, 48in deck & rear bagger. The snowblower works great, no issues with power, here in Canada it handles everything I’ve thrown at it. The grass side of things is a bit different. With the belly mower & rear bagger all running off the pto and while in 4WD I’ve noticed the rpms will drop a 1000rpm while coming up a fairly steep hill. I thought being in low range would improve the rpm drop but high range is actually better ( strange). I’m wondering if I had gone with the 23hp would it have made that much of a difference? My main reason for choosing the 1880 was the 48inch deck size to fit in my garage.

My dealer said they would both be about the same and to ease up on the peddle

What RPM are you running at? You shouldn’t be going wide open until after break in, but should be running at higher rpm while mowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
What RPM are you running at? You shouldn’t be going wide open until after break in, but should be running at higher rpm while mowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full throttle in order to get the pto rpm up to 540 rpm

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep WOT is how you should be running her,,, yeah I know it doesnt sound right but it is

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
The PTO is just under 14hp. Deck and bagger running I could see a lot of power loss for sure. Dont mash the pedal, more is not necessarily more power. Ease into it and go slower on hills. With my snow pusher, as it builds up I back off pedal and allow HST to do its thing. Its slower but pushes straight through. If I mash pedal the RPMs drop and then HST loses power.

More speed = less oomph
Low speed = more oomph

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dont mash the pedal, more is not necessarily more power. Ease into it and go slower on hills.
Yeah - I think Max is on it. Follow his advice and see how that goes!

Good luck!

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Yeah - I think Max is on it. Follow his advice and see how that goes!

Good luck!
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the comments, just love this little machine. I live in the country and lawnmowers are how everyone gets around to visit each other, what hoot! With the Kubota, hands down I have the nicest!

So basically the 23 hp would have been similar

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Something's not right, here. I have a BX1870, 54" deck and use the Kubota PTO driven bagger. Even in the Fall, picking up wet leaves in a steep yard and sporting almost 150 lbs in front suitcase weights, my RPM never varies more than maybe 150rpms. I have even over filled it and plugged it up a few times without much change in engine speed. Again, not sure just what you have going on but, there has to be an answer to it. I would suggest getting your dealer involved.

On Edit: FWIW, I always mow in low range. With or without the bagger installed.

Last edited:

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Thanks Ramos

Good info, I think Ill also check the belt tension on the blower, maybe its too tight from the dealer and its sucking the power out of it.

Btw, are you mowing full throttle (540 rpm)?

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Thanks Ramos

Good info, I think Ill also check the belt tension on the blower, maybe its too tight from the dealer and its sucking the power out of it.

Btw, are you mowing full throttle (540 rpm)?

I varied the throttle setting but stayed at the higher end for the first 50 hours. Now I mow at WOT.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Agree with the others what was said about both the bagger and mower going that's gonna eat up a lot of power. Glad to hear your happy overall with the performance of the 1880, I've been contemplating purchasing one just to mow with and use the tiller - post hole digger

Lizlec

Equipment
BX1870-1 + LA203A FEL + B2789 3PT SB + 54" HLA1500 Snowpusher
Feb 4, 2018
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada
I have a 1870 which have the same engine that I bought brand new last winter and I did effectively seen a nice power increase after the break-in period. While I found it a bit limit at first in heavy snow or with full auger, since the current winter (50 hours at the meter) it handles any type of snow and quantity much more easily (have a 51 inch rear 3 pt snowblower) so yes you will gain some extra HP over time ;-)

BX Woody

Equipment
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Thanks everyone, spring is just around the corner and ill be removing the snowblower and putting the mower and bagger back on so Ill give another update later. Right now im around 38 hrs

Fredbussiere

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 28, 2016
Barrington,NH
I had BX 2200 with same issue, up hills. I found the fuel filters (2) had water in them and depending on the angle of the hill it picked up the water. It was the plastic fuel filter not the cartridge and bowl type. My guess!

kirk1870

Equipment
BX1870 loader mmm Haban snowplow
Feb 11, 2016
Chelsea Mi
I have a 1870, just did my First fuel filter change between the tank and fuel pump due to low power. I could not even blow through it. Tractor now starts better than it did when delivered new, and has more power when pushing snow piles. I found small pieces of black plastic in it, Dog hair from my cloths, and general small debris.

kirk1870

Equipment
BX1870 loader mmm Haban snowplow
Feb 11, 2016
Chelsea Mi
I assume its from my cloths. I find hair from our dog at work in parts of the books I print.
Her hair is very fine , sticks to everything, we say that she is always with us. I think it falls off my cloths when I fuel. I am considering a screen insert form the fuel tank opening.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
I agree something doesn't sound right here, I have the 1880 with 48 inch deck and also run a 48 inch bush hog (not at the same time... lol ) I have never seen or heard mine bog down no matter how high the grass was. Yes it might lose a few rpm's but never died down any amount.
I run out of traction long before I run out of power.
Love this little thing :)

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I’ve noticed the rpms will drop a 1000rpm while coming up a fairly steep hill. I thought being in low range would improve the rpm drop but high range is actually better ( strange).
If you're suggesting that the RPM drop in H is less severe than L, that makes zero sense. You've got something going on with your hydro if that's the case. An engine related issue would be more pronounced in H. I think a call to the dealer is in order.