BX1880 Capability

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro,

That is interesting. Do you think there would be some power-loss with the 1880/60''?

Thanks!
I'm sure worst case the 60" would require more power than the smaller decks. My BX2200 has 22 engine HP and I never have felt the need for more (or even close that that amount of HP) with my 60" deck. Even after being out of town for the month of May and dealing with high grass/weeds on return.

When things got out of hand, I used to cut first with the deck in the TOP position, but later just started cutting in the highest position, which is number 4 on my tractor. That is the position I usually cut at anyway. When things get out of control, seems like I first cut the grass, then cut the clippings (and new grass) several times until they disappear...

I certainly think that if one cuts grass in a more normal manner, the 60" deck would work fine on the BX1880. Probably work fine in my situation as well.

BUT don't forget the buy once, cry once aspect of your purchase... ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
Hi rc51stierhoff,

Thanks for the response! I will likely only need to keep 4-5 acres mowed to a reasonable level. Someone else is responsible for mowing the other 5 but I may have to step in once in awhile. It doesn't need to be residential yard quality, just kept under control.

For me, I don't mind a few hours every couple weeks. My biggest concern was reliability, longevity, fuel costs, and general capability of mowing 5 acres regularly without working it to its limit.

I like the tractor idea for its versatility. I am mainly considering the bx1880 for price. However, I may consider the bx2380 as well if the consensus is the 1880 would be pushing it.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
For me, I don't mind a few hours every couple weeks. My biggest concern was reliability, longevity, fuel costs, and general capability of mowing 5 acres regularly without working it to its limit.

I like the tractor idea for its versatility. I am mainly considering the bx1880 for price. However, I may consider the bx2380 as well if the consensus is the 1880 would be pushing it.
Just a data point. My BX2200 is going on 19 years old. Still runs like new. Has about 1400 hours (might be more) mostly mowing.

Point is, averaged over probably a minimum 20 year lifespan (reality could be a 40 year life span if cared for and stored under roof), the difference in cost between a smaller and larger tractor of the same frame size, HP wise, is pretty insignificant.

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
Just a data point. My BX2200 is going on 19 years old. Still runs like new. Has about 1400 hours (might be more) mostly mowing.

Point is, averaged over probably a minimum 20 year lifespan (reality could be a 40 year life span if cared for and stored under roof), the difference in cost between a smaller and larger tractor of the same frame size, HP wise, is pretty insignificant.
That is reassuring to know! And yes, I think its about $3k difference between 1880 and 2380 but in the long-term that's really nothing. Definitely something to think on.

Thanks again for all your input!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
To me the real value of the BX or B for that matter is maneuverability and multi tool function. I am not sure you are looking at one with a loader or not but I would not recommend to not have the versatility of the loader. It’s like a diesel power plant with ability to haul like a wheel barrow or hoist like a lift. We if you do much landscaping, garden and lifting stuff they are great….depending on your other intentions maybe think about a third function/grapple…They can lift quite a bit and can make life easier.

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
To me the real value of the BX or B for that matter is maneuverability and multi tool function. I am not sure you are looking at one with a loader or not but I would not recommend to not have the versatility of the loader. It’s like a diesel power plant with ability to haul like a wheel barrow or hoist like a lift. We if you do much landscaping, garden and lifting stuff they are great….depending on your other intentions maybe think about a third function/grapple…They can lift quite a bit and can make life easier.
This makes sense! I would like to have the front loader. Mowing is just my first need for the time being. Part of why I am interested in the bx is the versatility. Thanks for your response!

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
You also might want to consider the B2401 gear drive tractor. It's bigger but because of the gear drive you can cover the ground a bit faster. It does cost more however.
It also depends on how many trees and other obstacles that you have to mow around.
Also on the fuel use my LX2610 uses so little fuel I honestly have not bothered to track it. Think in the 19 hours I have put on it since December I have only added 5 Gallons.
Now the 54" deck Cub Cadet Zero turn I'm passing on to one of my kids eats about 1.5-2 gallons an hour. My new Scag Tiger Cat 2 has an EFI gas motor and uses about .8 gallons per hour but I have only mowed a couple of times with it since I got it.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I have theBX1880 and I am happy with it. However, I only have an 1 acre and I have the 48 inch MMM. I have the FEl with bucket, grapple and forks. The main use is for mowing, then for storm clean up, cutting down trees and hauling them out with the grapple, spreading some dirt with the bucket and finally moving stuff around with the forks and digging with a spade on the forks. As you can see, I have very little need for a lot of PTO power. The larger mowers, bush hogs and snow blowers might not work well with the BX1880. So, for me theBX1880 is perfect, for you might not be.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Strictly for mowing, I would never choose my BX over my much older TG1860...which is a 3cyl diesel powered mower with somewhat of a suspension. The seat has 2 springs (don't they all) but the whole rear of the mower body is on 2 (what I like to call) mini-bike shock absorbers. It's way nicer than any other ride-on mower I've ever used. Knock on wood, it lasts a long time.

Why the TG?

Comfort !

I only mow 2 acres, but the BX pounds the cr@p out of me, whereas the TG is "relatively" comfortable.

My 2ac is old farm field, and pretty "flat" too and while it "looks" like a lawn, there's only a couple inches of what might be sorta considered topsoil and the underlying stuff is rocks/gravel/whatnot.

So,....if your 5-10acres is smooooth, sure the BX1880 will do it. (The BX2380 is the better choice, imho) and if you're young and your back is in good shape, it's a nice tractor.

YMMV

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
You also might want to consider the B2401 gear drive tractor. It's bigger but because of the gear drive you can cover the ground a bit faster. It does cost more however.
It also depends on how many trees and other obstacles that you have to mow around.
Also on the fuel use my LX2610 uses so little fuel I honestly have not bothered to track it. Think in the 19 hours I have put on it since December I have only added 5 Gallons.
Now the 54" deck Cub Cadet Zero turn I'm passing on to one of my kids eats about 1.5-2 gallons an hour. My new Scag Tiger Cat 2 has an EFI gas motor and uses about .8 gallons per hour but I have only mowed a couple of times with it since I got it.
Thanks!

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
I have theBX1880 and I am happy with it. However, I only have an 1 acre and I have the 48 inch MMM. I have the FEl with bucket, grapple and forks. The main use is for mowing, then for storm clean up, cutting down trees and hauling them out with the grapple, spreading some dirt with the bucket and finally moving stuff around with the forks and digging with a spade on the forks. As you can see, I have very little need for a lot of PTO power. The larger mowers, bush hogs and snow blowers might not work well with the BX1880. So, for me theBX1880 is perfect, for you might not be.
Thanks!

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
Strictly for mowing, I would never choose my BX over my much older TG1860...which is a 3cyl diesel powered mower with somewhat of a suspension. The seat has 2 springs (don't they all) but the whole rear of the mower body is on 2 (what I like to call) mini-bike shock absorbers. It's way nicer than any other ride-on mower I've ever used. Knock on wood, it lasts a long time.

Why the TG?

Comfort !

I only mow 2 acres, but the BX pounds the cr@p out of me, whereas the TG is "relatively" comfortable.

My 2ac is old farm field, and pretty "flat" too and while it "looks" like a lawn, there's only a couple inches of what might be sorta considered topsoil and the underlying stuff is rocks/gravel/whatnot.

So,....if your 5-10acres is smooooth, sure the BX1880 will do it. (The BX2380 is the better choice, imho) and if you're young and your back is in good shape, it's a nice tractor.

YMMV
Thank you!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If you consider the B2401, you should be aware that it has a transmission driven PTO. In other words, it isn't independent and has some limitations.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you do get the BX, get the loader also. You will find lots of uses for it and it’s hard to resell a tractor without a FEL.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
One more thing, if your primary use for the tractor is mowing make sure to stay away from the R1 agricultural tires. With my BX1880, with the tires being smaller and with the tread pattern with such deep thread, I almost destroyed my lawn. With each mowing pass the indentations on the ground would get deeper. When the ground got wet and soft it got worse and the R1 tires would only have traction by digging in and with a lot of use of the 4wd. I ended up replacing the tires with the BX2380 size tires/wheels with all terrain tread pattern that rolls and rides better with better traction over the turf and not digging in with little need for the 4wd.

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
Having had over the years several BX models and several B tractors I now have a grand L bottom line don’t cut yourself short with too small a tractor. . When at the local dealer yesterday I noticed that the base L series is actually less than a BX and you get a larger sturdier frame and more power. I would also agree with the post above that for 5-10 acres of pasture a finish or bush mower utilizing the pto is a better choice . Ground clearance would be a co cern of mine in pasture with a BX.
if you do get a BX I strongly recommend a brush shield as the fan blade for the transmission is exposed and prone to damage

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My views.

1. A BX can cut that grass - it won't hurt it at all. But it's too small of a machine for that task

2. If you're cutting twice a month, that's not really finish mowing - so you maybe should be looking at a flail or a rotary cutter

3. A BX isn't a great machine for a flail or rotary cutter - it's too small in terms of HP and in terms of weight to lift and move a bigger mower

4. I bought a BX without a loader, and added the loader later. That was a big mistake. When you come to buy the loader they're almost impossible to find, so you have to buy a new loader. But now you have a new loader on an old machine - which is worth no more than an old loader on an old machine. Buy a machine with a loader already on it.

If you're constrained by money, I'd buy a second hand but larger machine. L-sized probably. With a loader, and with some sort of rear mower, whether a rear finish mower, a flail, or a rotary cutter. If you're not especially constrained by money, then I think I'd buy an L - maybe an L2501 - with a loader. Not much more money, an awful lot more machine.

Another option to consider if you're mostly focused on mowing would be a used Kubota F-series. They're the Rolls Royce of mowing in the Kubota range. Diesel, same fuel use as a tractor, but mow fast and wide. Then you could mow once a week, your property would look beautiful.

Reactions: 1 users

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I would not want to mow that much with a 1880. I would go with at least the 23 for the HP advantage with the 60" deck. Even then there are better machines for the job unless you really enjoy mowing for extended periods of time. A 2380 can pull a mower fine too. You may want front weights if you are hilly as it makes the steering a little light. I am with the others with the loader, if you want it don't wait. Adding it later can be a pain.
I ran my B2601 with a 72" finish mower. That may save you some time if maneuverability in the pasture is not an issue. I enjoy mowing but I would not want to do 5 or occasionally 10 acres with regular mower. I have too many other projects to do most of the time.