BX1880 Capability

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
I am considering purchasing a bx1880 with a 54" mower deck. I have 5 acres of even terrain that is all grass no trees. It was just pasture before.

Does anyone know if the bx1880 would efficiently mow 5-10 acres fairly regularly (1-2 times a month maybe)? I will primarily use it for mowing. Possibly light duty work around the property in the future.

Thank you ahead of time for any responses.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Bryce35 - Welcome to the forum!

Yes - the BX it will do that very easily!

Will it be the most efficient use of a machine vs 5-10 acres? No!

A zero turn will cut that faster ...........but .......a zero turn cannot lift anything with a FEL or a 3 point.

Here is one thing to consider - that BX has somewhat small wheels and tires - specially on the front end, you hit a small hole and you will feel it right in the ol seat of your pants, hips, back etc.

You did not say IF it has a front end loader, I am going to say it does not - so the advantage of having that in the package it thrown out.

What is the cost of this machine? 4k?

I would look at a zero turn for what you are wishing to do - the BX is a fantastic machine but if you are looking for a single grass cutting machine it is not the most efficient method of doing it - specially if you are cutting nice even terrain!

Reactions: 1 users

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
85Hokie,

Thanks for your response! I was going to get the tractor with mower deck only at this time. One of the reasons I am considering the bx is for future use of its other capabilities.

My main concern is if the 1880 had ample power to handle 5-10 acres of grass cutting regularly.

With a Zero turn, I have read other places they can use a lot more fuel as well, is that correct?

Thanks again!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
As far as fuel, my zt does burn more gallons per hour, but it cuts my yard in half the time. I really don't care about the fuel cost, but saving 2 hours for each mowing is priceless.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A diesel will sip fuel and last forever, a gas engine will burn quite a bit more fuel and will not last as long from an engine design point.

As Freeheeler mentioned ............ time IS MONEY, so cutting quicker is one way of looking at the total picture.

AS for getting the BX - the idea of having a "tractor" is very appealing over having a lawn mower.

The BX has plenty of power - unless you might be cutting grass 2 feet tall, then the zero turn is no longer effective :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
85Hokie,

I am definitely leaning towards the bx1880 for the reasons you stated, reliability, longevity, and fuel costs. I am not too concerned on time savings. Plus the additional usefulness the bx could provide in the future.

I guess my main concern was if the 1880 could cut 5-10 acres regularly without struggling.

Thanks again for all your replies, I really appreciate it!

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
@Bryce35 Your original post said mowing 1-2 times per month.. with a 54" MMM I'd suggest weekly (unless your lawn barely grows) as you'd probably have to do a couple passes at that rate if you do it monthly.

A brush hog (RCR1248) would be an alternative mowing option however I'd suggest a higher HP BX.. the 1880 only has around 13hp @ the PTO, a BX2380 would be the bare minimum but probably would lean towards the BX2680.

However if you can cut it weekly, a BX1880 w/ MMM would be suffice.

Bryce35

May 19, 2022
Oklahoma
TheShadyKubota,

I am worried it might be a little under-powered for 5-10 acres of field-grass. I am also considering the bx2380. The only thing I am reluctant for, is the price difference.

Thanks for your input!

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
@Bryce35 If you can swing the additional monies, you'll never say (should've bought a tractor with less HP)... My neighbour and I both went in to buy BX's on the same day. He walked out with a BX1880, I was about to do the same however I had second thoughts. A couple days later I ended up with a BX2380 because I never wanted to limit myself with what attachment I can and cannot use. At the end of the day, he mows 3 acres of grass with some elevation changes in a couple hours no problem and the tractor never breaks a sweat.

I on the other hand haven't seeded my new build yet so I'm a couple years away from using the MMM, Either way great decisions.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am considering purchasing a bx1880 with a 54" mower deck. I have 5 acres of even terrain that is all grass no trees. It was just pasture before.
I would ask why a 54" deck? I cut about the same amount of area, and would not want less than the 60" deck on my BX2200.

I did read the entire thread and if this was asked and answered, my apologies...

Buy once, cry once is the camp I live in...consider your choice carefully...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
@Henro,

I believe 54" is the largest offered on the bx1880.

Thanks!
Another reason to go bigger! LOL.

Back in the days of my BX2200 the BX1800 was the same physical size and as far as I know could use the 60" deck....BX1500 was a different story...smaller physically...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
@Henro,

I believe 54" is the largest offered on the bx1880.

Thanks!
Got curious, found the following:

Following attachments are available for Kubota BX1880 compact utility tractor:

• Kubota RCK54D-18BX mid-mount 48 in (1,210 mm) mower deck
  • Kubota RCK54-23BX-1 mid-mount 54 in (1,370 mm) mower deck
  • Kubota RCK60B-23BX mid-mount 60 in (1,520 mm) mower deck
  • Kubota LA344 loader

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Henro,

That is interesting. Do you think there would be some power-loss with the 1880/60''?

Thanks!
Power loss will be directly proportional to work being done!

The reason that a 54" was max on the smaller frame is simple = HP at the MMM PTO ..........

Now will it run a 60" ? Sure, the problem will be WHEN you get into a thicker cut and the pressure builds on the blades and starts to either pull on the engine to keep up or the belt starts to slip on the pulleys - or both.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
5-10 acres grass…that’s a lot for willie Nelson with a BX…I guess I would wonder first is it flat rolled ground (smooth) and what speed you plan to cut at. Then I guess i wonder how long you think it will take…big difference between 5 acres and 10 in terms of hours in seat. So depending on your expectation I am not sure what is your criteria when you say efficiently. Is it efficiency in your time, cost of ownership, fuel, etc. those are very different things and then (I am not familiar with your grass / how thick it is / how tall it gets per 2 weeks / etc) I think there is potential it might ask a bit of a BX. I had a BX previously and have a B now and I would most likely not opt to mow 10 acres with a B unless I had no other choice. it’s going to take more than a few hours. If you have time and enjoy the ride the BX will be fine…it will absolutely do it, it will do it easier more frequently though….it will be a time commitment if you mr grass grows very much. Personally I think 10 open acres would be better with some goats or a pretty large pull behind finish mower on a L…if pasture / goats not an option. Depending how tall your grass gets in two weeks you may have hands full. I am in Ohio and when I had a BX in mowing season it’s a two times a week thing…and if it would get to long due to rain I’d have to mow with the deck up once, then at least once more maybe twice at different settings. If you are trying to cut hay with it it would be asking a lot I guess is what I am saying. It will do it with time and patience though.

Bdubz

Equipment
LX2610, 60"MMM, FEL, Grapple, Box Blade, Tiller, Moldboard Plow, 5' Snow Plow
May 18, 2022
Western New York
5-10 acres grass…that’s a lot for willie Nelson with a BX…I guess I would wonder first is it flat rolled ground (smooth) and what speed you plan to cut at. Then I guess i wonder how long you think it will take…big difference between 5 acres and 10 in terms of hours in seat. So depending on your expectation I am not sure what is your criteria when you say efficiently. Is it efficiency in your time, cost of ownership, fuel, etc. those are very different things and then (I am not familiar with your grass / how thick it is / how tall it gets per 2 weeks / etc) I think there is potential it might ask a bit of a BX. I had a BX previously and have a B now and I would most likely not opt to mow 10 acres with a B unless I had no other choice. it’s going to take more than a few hours. If you have time and enjoy the ride the BX will be fine…it will absolutely do it, it will do it easier more frequently though….it will be a time commitment if you mr grass grows very much. Personally I think 10 open acres would be better with some goats or a pretty large pull behind finish mower on a L…if pasture / goats not an option. Depending how tall your grass gets in two weeks you may have hands full. I am in Ohio and when I had a BX in mowing season it’s a two times a week thing…and if it would get to long due to rain I’d have to mow with the deck up once, then at least once more maybe twice at different settings. If you are trying to cut hay with it it would be asking a lot I guess is what I am saying. It will do it with time and patience though.
Certainly agree on the time factor/issues raised. As a previou BX1880 owner with a 60" MMM...I never had any issues with power. Even mowing thick, damp, 8" high grass when necessary in the spring. You simply keep the rpm up and slow down if you feel/hear it bogging down. Cut was always smooth and sharp. And, unlike my new LX2610, the mower sounded like it should with weird noises!

Bdubz

Equipment
LX2610, 60"MMM, FEL, Grapple, Box Blade, Tiller, Moldboard Plow, 5' Snow Plow
May 18, 2022
Western New York
Certainly agree on the time factor/issues raised. As a previou BX1880 owner with a 60" MMM...I never had any issues with power. Even mowing thick, damp, 8" high grass when necessary in the spring. You simply keep the rpm up and slow down if you feel/hear it bogging down. Cut was always smooth and sharp. And, unlike my new LX2610, the mower sounded like it should with weird noises!
WITHOUT WEIRD NOISES!