bx1870 front loader pulling

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I would use the rear tow point. Most ring gear and pinions are designed to pull hard in one direction. If you pull hard in the opposite direction than they are designed you may have problems.

I've seen several times when someone chained off on the front of a pull truck and some tractors then pulled in reverse and broke the rear differential or front differential and the damage was typically to the ring gear and pinion if the u-joints didn't give up first.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi i have a bx1870 and i need to pull some logs off a pile is it ok to wrap a chain around the loader and pull or should i use the rear tow point?

Thanks
I agree with Henry....

what are the sizes of these logs???

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
the rear hitch is designed to pull serious weight. Like a Plough through dirt. I wouldnt yank logs around with my loader/bucket unless it was up or down...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lifting/carrying is fine, but a hard pull is best left on the end where it belongs. The temptation to lift and back up will most likely end in a tractor on its side.

drduey

Equipment
bx1870
Apr 1, 2016
simcoe, ontario , canada
The logs / tree limbs are the left overs from clearing land it's the stuff that was too crooked or small to ship to lumber yard. Some are decent sized but I just need to drop them off the wood pile to cut up , escavator piled them up

Thanks

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I might try going to an end of the pile, and pushing on the ends with the bucket to knock some down. Definitely not a pull.

Log piles can be dangerous things. Don't want to have the loader getting tangled up with a log coming down.

A friend of my Dad's was crushed and killed on a firewood pile many years ago.:(

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
Should still be under warranty. Now is the time to find out what it'll do. But maybe that's just me. I couldn't imagine being afraid of a differential gear set on an HST. I have a BX2370 and it will stall out in low pulling backwards in mud. If that breaks it, it isn't worth owning. But that's just me. I buy it to use it. Then wash it and wax it and stare at it, proud to know it did its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Should still be under warranty. Now is the time to find out what it'll do. But maybe that's just me. I couldn't imagine being afraid of a differential gear set on an HST. I have a BX2370 and it will stall out in low pulling backwards in mud. If that breaks it, it isn't worth owning. But that's just me. I buy it to use it. Then wash it and wax it and stare at it, proud to know it did its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here - - except for the washing and waxing part.:D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
The Bumpkin is right. If the machine can't do simple things, why do you have it?

Babying a tractor defeats the purpose of it. It should be made to work. The light weight of the BX makes it difficult to do any heavy work anyhow.

drduey

Equipment
bx1870
Apr 1, 2016
simcoe, ontario , canada
I put a cleat through the hitch point and hooked up some chains the tractor pulled down the logs no prob , had to use the diff lock for the big ones but no issues.

happy chappy