BX1870 for 1 acre?

dgreen215

Equipment
BX1870V-1
Apr 2, 2014
jackson, nj
I'm looking at the BX1870 for my next all purpose machine. I would get a FEL and the MMM of course. But do you think this is overkill for my needs? I currently have a John Deere LX255 and a ariens snow blower, but would like something bigger to do mowing, snow removal, and some landscaping stuff. I would say 90% of the time it will be used for mowing..that said what would you do?? I got a good price on a new one and 0%/60mo. but not sure what to do!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Mine is the BX1860, probably about like yours. I have a city lot, with some vacant land nearby that I mow to keep the deer away. Easily can mow 3 acres or more in a short time. I also have two larger blue tractors on 5 acres in the woods. I was spoiled with them, but way too big for here. This smaller one is a little over kill here, but is very handy for those other chores. Deep snow and neighbors with driveways plowed in are a snap for this with loader. Mower does a nice job even in tight places. I like the readily adjustable mowing height. Your neighbors will also be asking for your help now. There will be dead bushes to pull out, cut branches to load onto trailers, etc.

It has limitations with bucket when loading stuff on a pickup, due to height limits it has, but plenty of lift capacity. I detest the cheap three point up-down method for earth grading control, but that is not too bad for snow lowing with rear blade.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Go for it! You will love it. Having your very own loader is a blast!

mike-o

Equipment
BX25D, 60" MMM, Land Pride 48"Box Blade
Jul 27, 2013
SW PA
I bought a bx25d last year for my steep 1 acre lawn. Wish I had done it years ago.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well if you do then you will have to get rid of that green thing, and that blower thing and that will leave you more room in the garage and only one thing to buy fuel for and trust me that little bouta sips fuel so you wont be buying much! And you will find things to do with the FEL that you never knew you needed to do, and the bucket well if your hauling fire wood to the house, you wont believe how it saves your back... And besides Orange is a pretty color:D

dgreen215

Equipment
BX1870V-1
Apr 2, 2014
jackson, nj
How capable is the BX1870 w/FEL? Can I do some decent grading with the FEL? Will the FEL be good enough for snow or do I need a snowblower attachment or blade?

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
How capable is the BX1870 w/FEL? Can I do some decent grading with the FEL? Will the FEL be good enough for snow or do I need a snowblower attachment or blade?
FEL will do a GREAT Job Grading. How much snow do you get? FEL will work for Snow, but I have a Blower for mine as we get a lot of snow and have 650' Drive

hy8ytjh98

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 with BX2750D snow blower, LA203A loader
Nov 1, 2013
Gorham, ME, USA
Hi. I've got a similar sized yard, and I went with the BX1870. I do have the BX2750D blower and it worked great this winter. Looking forward to trying the FEL this summer. I am sure the machine is a bit of overkill for both of us, but it is a great little machine and I did a lot of reading (reviews of existing owners who had the BX1860, etc.) and I am very happy with it. With the 4 wheel drive, I didn't even need chains this winter to blow the snow. Can't wait for summer.

dgreen215

Equipment
BX1870V-1
Apr 2, 2014
jackson, nj
I bought the BX1870 yesterday. I got the new 1870-1 model with newer ROPS. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to post here in the future!

Harvey9

Equipment
BX 1850 with loader, mower and back blade.
Jun 12, 2013
Hantsport, Nova Scotia
I have the BX1850 on my 2 acre lot. No complaints at all. It takes a little longer to do things than a larger tractor would but works out great for me.
Harvey

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
You will be very happy. The money you will save on gas alone, over that lawn tractor and snowblower, will pay for that Kubota.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I bought the BX1870 yesterday. I got the new 1870-1 model with newer ROPS. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to post here in the future!
You are in for a great time! You'll be looking for opportunities for saddle time. Neighbors will LOVE you! My first Kubota was the pictured L185, with a 48" loader. I could drive into the side of a bank and come out with a bucketful of dirt! Awesome! You'll be able to pick up that green thing and carry it out to the front yard to sell it...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well I bought it. here is my new bx1870. has the newer ROPS. they had to order me a 48 inch fine cut deck.
Only thing wrong, you will be mad at yourself FOR NOT GETTING IT SOONER !:D now go play.............oooppps work!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For grading with the front end loader, you may want to add a rear blade, say 48", because that will be easier to control than the FEL, in my opinion,. Loosening the earth is another factor where a box blade with teeth may be needed. Wait and see.

On that machine test out the three point control. There should be two stops on the inboard side of the slot that your lever can stop against to let the arms creep up or down, not going full blast. The term for that use is "inching". You may have to adjust these stops, they are Independent of each other. As you run the lever up or down, you need to pull a little towards the left to hit the stops, because otherwise if you go past, the arms move full speed. It's a real fussy adjustment. It's not the easiest machine to grade with, but with patience it works oK.

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
Congrats on the new machine!

Something to consider: while everything is still all shiny and clean... and while you have your camera out, grab snapshots of the model/serial numbers of everything. You'll have a handy and correct record for when you need to order parts.

Learned that lesson with my old tractor: "Need a new frammis for the hoochpap, but the tractor is all the way out in the barn and I don't have the serial number... grumble, grumble..." Then seemed like every time I needed to do that I'd go all the way out there and manage to get the number wrong.

dwk121

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 fel,54" MMM, ballast box. 3ph triball trailer hitch.
Jul 4, 2013
United States Falling Waters WV
Congrats. Welcome to the World of orange. You'll Love that tractor. I have had mine for about a year and I have got 80 hrs on it and enjoyed every minute.

Attachments