BX1500 Transmission Issue - Power to Only One Wheel

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
My 4WD BX1500 seems to have only one wheel providing force. It is a rear wheel and doesn't seem to matter if it is in two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. I didn't know what to do other than make sure fluid is filled. I also made sure that axle fluids are filled.
Any help would be appreciated!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 Check to make sure the tires have air pressure, it's not uncommon for these models to spin the rims inside the tire.

#2 With the tractor in 4wd and not running pick on front tire off the ground, you should not be able to turn the tire.

#3 Engage the differential lock and see if you gain movement of both rear tires.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My 4WD BX1500 seems to have only one wheel providing force. It is a rear wheel and doesn't seem to matter if it is in two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. I didn't know what to do other than make sure fluid is filled. I also made sure that axle fluids are filled.
Any help would be appreciated!
Tractor has an open differential. Tire with least traction will slip.

Engage differential lock to drive both wheels equally.

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
#1 Check to make sure the tires have air pressure, it's not uncommon for these models to spin the rims inside the tire.

#2 With the tractor in 4wd and not running pick on front tire off the ground, you should not be able to turn the tire.

#3 Engage the differential lock and see if you gain movement of both rear tires.
Thanks for the suggestion on tires. They are prone to go low, so I'm hoping that is the problem. I'm in Colorado. Weather hasn't been cooperating, so I haven't been able to do any more troubleshooting.
In the meantime, I was hoping you could help me with another problem.
Tractor has new battery and is fully charged. Most of the time it doesn't like to start. Just my luck I found a way to get it to start by jumping what I think is the solenoid? It is the cylindrical component on top of the starter that has a direct connection from the positive terminal of the battery. Is that likely the source of my problem?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it not cranking or not starting?

If it's not cranking when you hit the key, yet you can jump the starter and it will crank, then your issue is not the starter or starter solenoid but in the wiring going to the starter.
Most commonly it's a safety switch issue, seat, PTO and clutch pedal all can play a role in that.
There are several other things that can cause it too.

Now if it cranks but won't start that's a whole other kettle of fish.

The WSM (aka service manual) will be your friend in either case, do you have that?

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado

If it's not cranking when you hit the key, yet you can jump the starter and it will crank, then your issue is not the starter or starter solenoid but in the wiring going to the starter.
Most commonly it's a safety switch issue, seat, PTO and clutch pedal all can play a role in that.

The WSM (aka service manual) will be your friend in either case, do you have that?

I do have the WSM so at least have a little help!
When I turn on the key, I get rapid clicks, but no starter action. I thought the clicks were the glow plugs heating up, but maybe not? It starts right up when I jump the starter. Also, most of the time after I have it running, it will start up with the key.
I’ve had a fair amount of electrical issues, so maybe it is something in that area.
Thanks so much for your help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do have the WSM so at least have a little help!
When I turn on the key, I get rapid clicks, but no starter action. I thought the clicks were the glow plugs heating up, but maybe not? It starts right up when I jump the starter. Also, most of the time after I have it running, it will start up with the key.
I’ve had a fair amount of electrical issues, so maybe it is something in that area.
Thanks so much for your help!
I'll check the WSM later and see if anything pops out at me.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It definitely sounds like an issue with the wiring.

When it happens does it ever start spinning the engine or just always the clicking (until you “jump the starter”)? When it does the clicking you could try a wire from the positive battery terminal directly to the spade on the solenoid (which you are kind of doing).

Make sure the wire to the solenoid is getting 12volts when turning the key to start if you have a meter. Often people add a relay into the wiring to make sure the solenoid is getting the voltage and amperage needed. There are safety switches that are used in that circuit that may not be operating correctly when it is cold.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Two other suggestions about starting:
1. Check to make sure the HST pedal is exactly centered in the neutral position. There is a starter cutoff if the pedal is even slightly off the neutral position.
2. The starter switch has a 4 position sequence: Off - Run - Glow - Start. To glow the plugs you need to hold the switch in the glow position for a few seconds before trying to crank the starter.
If you skip the glow step it will struggle to start, especially in the cold.
Didn't see these mentioned, and put them out there just in case.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
For your starting issue, I would start off with cleaning the grounds and looking for any corroded connections.

Even if the grounds look "tight" that does not mean they are good.

Take them apart, sand/grind them clean and apply dielectric grease when reassembling them.

I have seen some crazy issues resolved by "re-doing" grounds and cleaning suspect connections.

Hell, on occasion, I have even added more grounds "just in case".

Edit: True story about grounds

I went to out and started my truck. Fine, no problem.

Then I actuated the plow and it died. ......Huh?????

It would not restart (crank-no start) and had set a PCM code that would not reset. After hours of Googling it, Everyone on the internet claimed that my PCM was bad, the sky was falling, locusts were gonna eat up the fields and my truck was FUBAR. (oh and the whole "you should have bought a Ford" BS too...LOL)

Finally, out of sheer desperation, I decided to disconnect the batteries and let it sit. (trying to reset PCM code).

It worked. Truck started.......However, being the dumbass I am, I tried the plow again and BAM. It died again and reset that code.

I threw it on the hoist and I found one bonding strap broken. I thought there is no way in hell this little bonding strap was causing all this.

I found a piece if wire, ground clean 2 areas and connected the ends.

Problem solved.

I now have 4 "additional" grounds.

I not saying that this is the OP's problem, but it is possible.

Just sayin....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
I'll check the WSM later and see if anything pops out at me.
I fiddled around with the seat switch and made a minor adjustment to make sure the button gets pressed when I sit down. I’m back in business on the starting issue!
Thanks for help.
I drove tractor around a little in pasture after filling all the tires and am not convinced that I have all four wheels driving.
I used a nonKubota UDT oil and was wondering if that could be a problem. Does it make sense to change it out to Kubota brand?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I fiddled around with the seat switch and made a minor adjustment to make sure the button gets pressed when I sit down. I’m back in business on the starting issue!
Thanks for help.
I drove tractor around a little in pasture after filling all the tires and am not convinced that I have all four wheels driving.
I used a nonKubota UDT oil and was wondering if that could be a problem. Does it make sense to change it out to Kubota brand?
The fluid will not affect how many wheels are driven, it will effect if they are driven at all.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Do you think that the tractor will drive all four wheels when in 4WD?

In two wheel drive only one rear wheel is powered (to any degree). If you engage the differential lock then the two rear wheels are locked together and will be both driven.

If you are in 4WD then one rear wheel and one front wheel will be powered. If you then put the differential lock in then you will have three wheels powered but the fourth wheel is really not powered much.

Both the front and rear are open differentials so look at how that works if you’re not aware of how it works.

Hopefully this helps explain why you have only one rear wheel that will spin and not too rudimentary to help.

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
Do you think that the tractor will drive all four wheels when in 4WD?

In two wheel drive only one rear wheel is powered (to any degree). If you engage the differential lock then the two rear wheels are locked together and will be both driven.

If you are in 4WD then one rear wheel and one front wheel will be powered. If you then put the differential lock in then you will have three wheels powered but the fourth wheel is really not powered much.

Both the front and rear are open differentials so look at how that works if you’re not aware of how it works.

Hopefully this helps explain why you have only one rear wheel that will spin and not too rudimentary to help.
Thanks for the information. I think I’d better read the WSM to see if I can understand how it is supposed to actually work before I try to troubleshoot what’s going on. I’m convinced it is not operating like it is supposed to.
i feel like I need to be better informed before I take up more time of the forum members anxious to help me.
Thanks!

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado

I lifted front wheels off the ground. With 4WD engaged I can turn the front tires. The tire I turn goes in direction I turn it and other wheel goes in opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I lifted front wheels off the ground. With 4WD engaged I can turn the front tires. The tire I turn goes in direction I turn it and other wheel goes in opposite direction.
Yes that is right, that's the open differential working properly.
If it had a closed /locked / limited slip differential you would be able to turn the tires
Now only pick one wheel off the ground, bet you can turn that wheel. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the information. I think I’d better read the WSM to see if I can understand how it is supposed to actually work before I try to troubleshoot what’s going on. I’m convinced it is not operating like it is supposed to.
i feel like I need to be better informed before I take up more time of the forum members anxious to help me.
Thanks!
I believe you that something is wrong but just wanted to clarify what you might see.

Your front drive shaft may not be transmitting power to the front axle. There are probably some methods to see what is going on but I don’t know how.

Good Luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are probably some methods to see what is going on but I don’t know how.
Lifting only one front tire and having it in 4wd the tire will not turn, that's how you know the propeller shaft is working as it should. ;)

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
Yes that is right, that's the open differential working properly.
If it had a closed /locked / limited slip differential you would be able to turn the tires
Now only pick one wheel off the ground, bet you can turn that wheel. ;)
I hope I did this right…. Tractor in 4WD. Turned off tractor. Jacked up one front wheel and it turns freely. I did the same thing with other front wheel and it also moved backward and forward easily.