BX turf tire tread depth

RollWave

Equipment
BX2660, 60" mmm, loader, 60" rear blade, 48" tiller, 42" rotary cutter
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Does anyone know what the tread depth is for new turf tires for BX series tractors? I’ve had my BX2660 for 10 years now and am still on the original OTR Grassmaster turf tires. I feel like I’ve been experiencing more traction problems the last couple of winters and noticed that the tread depth on my front tires is considerably less than the rears. Front tires are between 3/16 and ¼ inch while the rears are more like 3/8. It’s been so long I no longer remember if they were the same when new. I’m thinking it’s probably time to change the front tires but not the rears. Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Does anyone know what the tread depth is for new turf tires for BX series tractors? I’ve had my BX2660 for 10 years now and am still on the original OTR Grassmaster turf tires. I feel like I’ve been experiencing more traction problems the last couple of winters and noticed that the tread depth on my front tires is considerably less than the rears. Front tires are between 3/16 and ¼ inch while the rears are more like 3/8. It’s been so long I no longer remember if they were the same when new. I’m thinking it’s probably time to change the front tires but not the rears. Thanks.

DO you spend much time in 4wd? even on grass? I do almost all the time (hilly yard) - if so - the fronts end actually leads the rear when in 4 wheel drive, thus the fronts are pulling and slipping more than the rears.

Turning causes a lot of wear also on the front tires.

AND since the fronts are about 1/2 the size of the rears..... that means it is spinning twice as fast or twice as much as the rears.

I could not keep air in my BX25D fronts - placed tubes and somehow still had to add air.....
bought these for a very cheap price and they seem to be fine - I have 18 psi in them for loader work.