BX Thumping feeling in Steering

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I'm pretty sure I read something about this a little while back. I have the BX 2680 with now 28 hours but this started at around 20 hours. I initially thought it was the pivot bolt on the front axle as I was driving in my gravel drive. I checked today and from what I can tell it's coming from the rack and pinion?? not sure if that's what they call it. Anyways it's got a little play that lets the steering knuckles kinda wonder. Not sure how to explain but where the tie rods shafts go into the steering cylinder on each end is where the play is. It's got round circular clips right there and that's where it has slight slop in it. I'm not sure if it's normal for this to be happening.. doesn't affect steering but you can definitely feel it.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
You mean these in the picture? These are not supposed to have any play. I had mine replaced under warranty because the rubber boots had perished and Kubota does not sell only the boot.
IMG_20191129_125636492.jpg

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
You mean these in the picture? These are not supposed to have any play. I had mine replaced under warranty because the rubber boots had perished and Kubota does not sell only the boot. View attachment 61585
It's where the main shaft goes into the steering cylinder. It has circular clips holding the cylinder to the frame I think.
C8C510BD-6609-4228-8E7E-E440700FC175.jpeg

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Something is not right. You might need to take it to the dealer. Here is the information I found but it does not have any information on allowable play between the cylinder and the cylinder holders, only a torque for the holder mounting screws. If the screws are tight, it is a warranty issue.

Attachments

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Something is not right. You might need to take it to the dealer. Here is the information I found but it does not have any information on allowable play between the cylinder and the cylinder holders, only a torque for the holder mounting screws. If the screws are tight, it is a warranty issue.
Thanks for checking on it.. that's exactly where the play is. Between cylinder and the holders. It's not terribly bad but with only twenty hours on it when it started I'm not sure if this is a normal deal with these BXs or not. I guess I'll give it time and see if it gets any worse than it is. Thanks xrocketengineer!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I've been using it a little since last posting, whopping 40+ hours on it now! I was able to jack the front up to check on it earlier and no doubt the steering cylinder at the holder brackets have play, it's no more than a 1/16" on each end. I did notice that one of the brackets have a holder that keeps the cylinder from traveling any farther out on one side. If that bracket was made the same on both sides it would eliminate that problem.

Although I think the thumping feeling is coming from the pivot bolt. With it up you can hear and see that bolt moving around in there, no wallowing slop.. just enough play to make you feel and hear it. Is there a way to grease it? Looks like it has a little grease in there but barely. Is the only way to grease it is to force it in by hand? Has a pin hole in the center??

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I've been using it a little since last posting, whopping 40+ hours on it now! I was able to jack the front up to check on it earlier and no doubt the steering cylinder at the holder brackets have play, it's no more than a 1/16" on each end. I did notice that one of the brackets have a holder that keeps the cylinder from traveling any farther out on one side. If that bracket was made the same on both sides it would eliminate that problem.

Although I think the thumping feeling is coming from the pivot bolt. With it up you can hear and see that bolt moving around in there, no wallowing slop.. just enough play to make you feel and hear it. Is there a way to grease it? Looks like it has a little grease in there but barely. Is the only way to grease it is to force it in by hand? Has a pin hole in the center??
If you are talking about the front axle pivot bolt, then there is an adjustment. However, there are some bushings inside that can wear out and they are lubricated by the axle oil. Since you have warranty , it might be better to talk to the dealer about both issues

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You mean these in the picture? These are not supposed to have any play. I had mine replaced under warranty because the rubber boots had perished and Kubota does not sell only the boot. View attachment 61585
My BX23S had a torn boot, and the dealer told me that was a maintenance item, and not covered under warranty. I purchased a pair of aftermarket boots to replace the torn factory boot, and it wasn't a difficult job, except to get the metal clip back on that Kubota uses to retain the boots. Next time, I will use safety wire twist pliers to install the wire around the boot. If it is good enough for an airplane, then it should be good enough for my Kubota!

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
This is exactly what I was talking about, you can feel it more than anything. I'm not sure what causes it so quickly on a new tractor.. other than maybe the powder coating chipping away giving it more tolerance. It may be normal for these tractors but when it's tight, then one day it starts having the thumping feel.. it's really noticeable! I'm also going to check the pivot bolt..

I found this, Hope this is ok to post..