BX replacement tires for turfs

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I picked up a used BX2680 a few months ago. It has turf tires and was used primarily for finish mowing. My planned use is more all around without much finish mowing, at least for now (loader & box blade work, tiller, flail or rotary mower). I've been searching the internet including this forum on my options and other owner's experience. Most common options seem to be the typical R4s, the newer R14s, and Versa Turfs. Based on what I've read, seems as though any would work for me. Was planning to pick based primarily on cost.

Then I started coming across issues with BX front tires and comments that they are under speced (I guess std turfs and R4s). That somewhat changed my approach - when I look at front tire ratings, the R14s, as 6 ply rated tire, have the greatest load rating at 882 lbs per tire which would give you about 200 lbs more front axle tire capacity over the std R4s. The Versa Turfs come in about in the middle with about a 100 lb front axle tire capacity increase. I don't know if a 100 or 200 lbs of increase would make a difference with regard to the BX front tire issues or not.

I thought I'd check in to see what others on the forum think. Both the Versa Turfs and R14s seem to get good reviews, so I could go with either one and get at least some additional front tire weight capacity increase over the R4s.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you want additional load-handling capability, look for road-rated trailer tires. They cost more but they can handle any weight that you can lift with your tractor.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I bought a BX last summer with 85 hours on it and turf tires. It is 6 years old but the tires look new and are uncracked. I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase the new tires and discard these so I had the rears filled with Rin Guard ($30!) and am using them. I find them better than I expected and they have good traction on the little snow we have had. If the fronts are not up to the task I will consider a replacement when one or both fail. You might try the turfs and pocket the tire money for a bit?

Reactions: 1 user

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks for the replies. I initially was just going to run the turfs for a while. The tractor is a 2019 with about 200 hrs so the tires are in good shape. The rears aren't filled which I was kind of surprised by. My local dealer includes filled rear tires at no additional charge with any BX that is sold with a loader.

The original owners had horses and I think the only loader work was moving horse manure. I assume the rear finish mower they had was enough ballast for the limited amount of loader work.

I was under the impression that filling the rear tires with rim guard was going to cost more money. So I was thinking just go ahead and get the R4s/R14s now and only spend once on the rim guard for the rears. If the rim guard is relatively cheap, maybe I will get the rear turfs filled and give them a try for next season.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the replies. I initially was just going to run the turfs for a while. The tractor is a 2019 with about 200 hrs so the tires are in good shape. The rears aren't filled which I was kind of surprised by. My local dealer includes filled rear tires at no additional charge with any BX that is sold with a loader.

The original owners had horses and I think the only loader work was moving horse manure. I assume the rear finish mower they had was enough ballast for the limited amount of loader work.

I was under the impression that filling the rear tires with rim guard was going to cost more money. So I was thinking just go ahead and get the R4s/R14s now and only spend once on the rim guard for the rears. If the rim guard is relatively cheap, maybe I will get the rear turfs filled and give them a try for next season.
I think you will find that Rim Guard is NOT "relatively cheap".
Windshield Washer fluid is quite cheap, though not as heavy, and you can fill WW fluid yourself.
AVOID CaCl at all cost!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I like the look of the R14s!

In my case, I foam filled all four of my BX2200 tires. Never looked back and never regretted it. That was maybe 15 years ago. Tires are R1. Not that that matters.

Foam is not cheap but it is heavy, and fills the tires 100% which likely makes it the best of all for adding weight for stability.

Just suggesting an option. Foam is dense but not cement. There is still some flex in the tires if I push them with my foot. The place I got them filled at said they can cure the foam at different pressures depending on the application. I chose what would mimic an air filled tire. Still VERY heavy tires now.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Whatever tire you decide on be sure to get a quote thru Kubota Whole Goods (from Kubota salesman, not parts). You can often get a much better deal in new rims and tires that way...often less than if you ordered just tires alone. BTDT.

Then you'd have a second set of tires/wheels.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
You can often get a much better deal in new rims and tires that way...often less than if you ordered just tires alone.
That's what I did, 4 tires with rims , $550 out the door from what I recall. Great deal.

Reactions: 1 user