BX-25 backhoe relief valve adj.

snowman1

Equipment
BX25-Post hole digger-back blade
May 27, 2013
windfield pa
Hello I was wandering if anyone ever adjusted the relief valve on there backhoe. I checked the pressure going to the hoe and it's all right ] My problem is when I pull the dipper towards me when digging it just stops at times when hardly digging The same goes for the bucket when you curl it towards you. Need some advice

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
It's seldom necessary to adjust a relief valve. If the pressure checks right, you are asking for trouble. The first thing that comes to mind is your three point hitch lever. Check to see if it has been pulled all the way toward the up position. That has a tendency to deadhead the hydraulics and cause something akin to what you describe. If you hear a hydraulic whine, that's another indication of the same thing. If it's whining, move the 3 point hitch lever towards the down position and maybe the whining will stop. if so, you should be ready to dig.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Sounds like you might be low on fluid. If it has its own reservoir, check that. If it uses tractor hydraulics, check the transmission level. When you first connect the backhoe it can use a lot of fluid filling the cylinders. It can make a difference if the tractor is level or not.
You could also have air in the system - exercise all of the functions completely a few times to clear it.

Last edited: