Bx 2370-1 r1 vs r4 vs turf tires

Hefty

Apr 7, 2015
Fleetwood, nc
I am getting ready to pull the plug on a bx 2370-1. Thought I had all of this figured out, but after reading the forum a bit, I'm even further confused.

My dealer is telling me r4 tires are what will best suit my needs. I would have thought maybe r1 would work best, but there are comments on the forum from folks saying turf tires work best on snow.

I will be using it for dressing up my gravel driveway after heavy rains, plowing snow, and spreading mulch, etc. with very little "turf time". I am in the mountains of NC and the snow is variable. Mostly in the 6-10 inch range (if at all), but occasionally 12 to 16 inches.

Most of the certain use will be dressing up the driveway with some pretty good hills after heavy rains, with the next heaviest use plowing snow, and then the remaining use being spreading mulch, etc.

Any comments, thoughts are on the best tire given my use?. The tires will be loaded.

Thanks in advance, this forum is great!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I would vote for the R1's, the R4's clog up to much. Does the dealer have any with R1's or do all the tractors he has have R4's?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Don't know yet...know he has r4s but haven't asked about r1s. Trying to decide for sure which I want

I love my R4's, but then again I would not want R1's.....unless I needed them in complete off pavement,non-yard situation. I have been in mire and muck with my R4's and have spun, but never gotten stuck. Most of those times where in reverse too.

IF you are going to be on soft terrain 99% of the time, then go with the R1's!
I would load them and maybe chain them too.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I have always though that for MY needs, turfs on the front and R4s on the rear would be the ultimate combination, but are the R4 and turf tire diameters close enough to make it possible?

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
R4's in my area are usually on machines that see alot of asphalt or concrete. AGs are great but if your gonna finish mow, they'll beat up the lawn quick. Turfs are an all around great tire.

If your not gonna play in the mud, R1 might be overkill. R4s in the mud are no fun.