Bx 1880

legs

Equipment
BX1880MMMFL
Apr 5, 2020
Grantsboro,NC
Hello,new member.I just bought a BX1880 love the tractor,but was a little disappointed the other day when using the 4 wheel drive.I lost traction and only the right front wheel was spinning.Is this normal or should both front wheels been spinning?The left rear wheel does lock in when I push down the lock pedel.I call the dealer and he told me that this was normal.Thanks

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The tractor is working correctly. You can lock the 2 rear tires with the locking differential. Do NOT engage the lock with the wheel spinning. This will cause severe damage to the tractor.

There is no way to lock the front wheels together on your tractor. Some larger machines are able to lock both front and rear differentials but not on yours.

The term 4 wheel drive should be 3 wheel drive as the power with go to the single front tire with the least resistance. Thus the tire with the best traction will not move and the other will spin.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The tractor is working correctly. You can lock the 2 rear tires with the locking differential. Do NOT engage the lock with the wheel spinning. This will cause severe damage to the tractor.

There is no way to lock the front wheels together on your tractor. Some larger machines are able to lock both front and rear differentials but not on yours.

The term 4 wheel drive should be 3 wheel drive as the power with go to the single front tire with the least resistance. Thus the tire with the best traction will not move and the other will spin.
I've engaged my differential lock for years with the rear wheel spinning and no damage has resulted. You do realize the wheel has to spin in order for the lock to engage, right? As long as you are going slow, you can push the foot lock button down without a problem. I agree prudence should be used...no high speed / high load shock engagements.

These tractors have 4x4 in the same manner as any 4x4 pickup truck or AWD vehicle, with the exception being most 4x4 vehicles don't have a rear differential lock like the tractor does. Power is indeed sent to all 4 wheels, but when there is a significant difference in traction between wheels on an axle, you are correct...power will go the wheel with the least resistance.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I've engaged my differential lock for years with the rear wheel spinning and no damage has resulted. You do realize the wheel has to spin in order for the lock to engage, right? As long as you are going slow, you can push the foot lock button down without a problem. I agree prudence should be used...no high speed / high load shock engagements.

These tractors have 4x4 in the same manner as any 4x4 pickup truck or AWD vehicle, with the exception being most 4x4 vehicles don't have a rear differential lock like the tractor does. Power is indeed sent to all 4 wheels, but when there is a significant difference in traction between wheels on an axle, you are correct...power will go the wheel with the least resistance.
I have been taught to come to a stop then put your foot on the lock. Then press the HST or release the clutch very easily. I have watched people step on the lock with the wheels going full speed. This is not good for the tractor and it is an expensive fix if things break.

I try to explain things to a new tractor owner in a cautious way. It is like when we learned to drive a car. The polish of driving comes with experience.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
They are expensive if they break, that's for sure.

When you push the diff lock pedal down, you are trying to move a pin inside the differential into a hole in the ring gear, which in an extremely simplistic explanation locks the left and right halfshaft axles together, preventing the action of the differential from spinning just one wheel. However, when you are stopped it is about 99% certain the pin and hole are not lined up. Stepping on the lock pedal pushes the pin against the ring gear, but the ring gear must turn in order for the hole to come around and line up. Likewise, after releasing the lock pedal, the differential may not immediately unlock until speed is slowed, load is reduced, a turn is completed, or reverse is used. My theory is so long as you are moving slowly and steadily, its perfectly fine to press the diff lock pedal at any time. It's definitely a handy feature and I like your approach of being safe vs sorry.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My theory is so long as you are moving slowly and steadily, its perfectly fine to press the diff lock pedal at any time.
This is true for a L, MX, M.
Not at all true for a BX
And still real sketchy for a B.

In fact on a BX1800, doing so will more than likely cause parts to pop out the bottom of the case... and they are not supposed to do that. :p

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Been using the diff lock on my bx for 10 years, moving slowly while engaging it is only way to get it locked for the reason troverman said. Doesn’t hurt it. In fact, if both wheels are turning at exact same speed, it still won’t lock, you have to turn slightly, when it locks, turn straight. You can feel it lock when the lever goes all the way down.

Then when letting up, if there is tension on the pins, it might not unlock, you have to turn slightly one way or other, or while moving slowly to unlock, peddle pops all the way back up. Then you can drive normal

I use mine enough that the whole process becomes second nature. Slight pressure on the lever, turn a few degrees, drops in, turn straight, do work, let up, turn wheel a few degrees one way, move, if it doesn’t pop, turn other way a few degrees, move pops up.

Only use in low traction areas.

People damage diff locks when abusing them on high traction areas, turning to much, or spinning too fast while engaging.

Diff locks are the most misunderstood control on the machine. Second is the 3pt drop speed control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Having been stuck a hundred times in a hundred places a thousand different ways.....

4WD is always best utilized right before it is needed. Sometimes it helps after you are stuck, but really it shines when applied before it is needed and therefore ready to deliver into and through whatever it is. Ironically, when done correctly you avoid getting stuck to begin with. I usually engage this while the drivetrain is moving without a load on it.

In the same way with a tractor, ideally you apply the diff lock right before it is needed and you get the most out of it. It is usually easier to "ease" into it before it is needed. Once you are stuck in the ditch, all the pressures go up.

With all the different types of transmissions out there now, it is safest to just go by the manual unless you understand the system.