BX 1860 steering problem

nedobs

Equipment
bx1860
Oct 4, 2014
wharton,ohio
My power steering turns right slowly will going down the road but not when mowing grass ?? I have to turn the wheel real slow to keep it straight !! any ideas I have checked the tires and pressure but can't figure it out ?? Thanks Bill

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My BX 1860 also drifts a little when I am on a hard surface. It is probably a toe in or toe out adjustment. I have not really been bothered enough about it to make the necessary adjustment so far. The toe adjustment is really easy to do if you are bothered by it. You can make the toe adjustments on both of the tie rod ends on the right and the left wheels. If you are not familiar with how to measure the toe in or toe out you may want to read up on it through Google.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
The tolerances in the hydraulic steering system aren't tight, you're fighting the crown of the road and turning left to correct it. Not uncommon. Another issue could be the seal on the piston of the steering cylinder, they just use an o ring and are prone to internal leakage. Was really common on the first BX's.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have to keep turning the wheel to keep the tractor running strait?
If that's the case you have a problem with the steering controller and will need to get it rebuilt.

nedobs

Equipment
bx1860
Oct 4, 2014
wharton,ohio
Do you have to keep turning the wheel to keep the tractor running strait?
If that's the case you have a problem with the steering controller and will need to get it rebuilt.
Yes i have to turn to the right is the steering controller the part that sits under the steering wheel its a 2010 year model do they sell a rebuild kit or should I buy a whole new one ??

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Did you read the above posts other than replacing all the parts? A lot of things to check FIRST.

nedobs

Equipment
bx1860
Oct 4, 2014
wharton,ohio
just to update and try to find the cause set the toe and put new tires on and now it only pulls when the tire is in soft ground but if I just move the wheel back and fort it goes straight making me think its the front cylinder leaking internally or am I nuts? But the wheel can be turned with the engine off also kind of hard but I don't remember it doing this new ???? Still trying to decide weather to replace cylinder or the controller at the top under the steering wheel ?? any ideas on how to check for sure hate to end up buying both !!

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Remove the lines going to the hydraulic cylinder, and take a rubber tipped blow gun and hold compressed air into one of the fittings. If you have air coming out of the opposite fitting, that o ring seal is leaking on the piston.

nedobs

Equipment
bx1860
Oct 4, 2014
wharton,ohio
It is fixed and working great i replace the front steering cylinder and fixed the problem the parts man said that is they only thing they ever had go bad so I took his word and now it all good again. Now I will rebuild the old one for a spare Went very smooth. So if your tractor wanders all over the road Just replace the the steering cylinder or the o rings and you good to go!! They told me its very rare for the controller to go bad !!;)