Buzzing Noise

davecal

Equipment
Kubota BX2230, FEL, Snowblower, Cab
Aug 4, 2017
Ridgefield, CT USA
Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone knows what is causing a buzzing noise in the back of my tractor? I only notice it when I’m standing behind the tractor, it’s kind of loud and a bit annoying. I have a cab and don’t really notice when I’m inside but of course with the diesel running that’s about all I hear. Not sure if it’s normal or not. I’ve owned several Kubota’s (Not this model) and don’t recall the others making this noise.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davecal

Equipment
Aug 4, 2017
Ridgefield, CT USA
Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone knows what is causing a buzzing noise in the back of my tractor? I only notice it when I’m standing behind the tractor, it’s kind of loud and a bit annoying. I have a cab and don’t really notice when I’m inside but of course with the diesel running that’s about all I hear. Not sure if it’s normal or not. I’ve owned several Kubota’s (Not this model) and don’t recall the others making this noise.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Dave

Forgot to mention, it’s a BX2230

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Put your model # in your thread title next time. Makes it easier for guys/gals to help.

What Kubotas have you had before? All older and geared transmission? Is this your first hydrostatic transmission (HST)?

My first thought is you're hearing the classic Kubota HST noise, or "whine" as many call it.

The HST can/will whine especially when it's moving, but for it to whine real loud when sitting and idling isn't a great sign.

How many hours are on the BX2230?
Do you know when the HST was last serviced for fluid and filter?
If it was done, what fluid/filter was used? The wrong fluid can toast your HST system all together.

If not done already, I would start with service of the HST - fluid/filter. Synthetic Kubota SUDT2 is what I would use, along with a real Kubota filter.

Last edited:

davecal

Equipment
Aug 4, 2017
Ridgefield, CT USA
Hi, The Model is a BX2230. The last two Kubota’s I owned were a BX1500 about 5 years ago and the most recent was a B3030, both hydrostatic.
My tractor has 1200 hours and I just serviced the the HST with the correct Kubota oil and filter. I do hear the noise when idling but it is in gear

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I heard a rattling noise on the back of my L4240 and it was annoying. I got to looking to see what it may be. It turned out I had put a clevis in the drawbar and the thing was vibrating fever so slightly but just enough to make the noise.

I left the clevis there because I need it from time to time and just ignore the noise!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez Dave, I’m not coming up with any great advice. You’ve had HST’s before, service is right, etc.
Wish I was of better help.

Sorry about that!

davecal

Equipment
Aug 4, 2017
Ridgefield, CT USA
Geez Dave, I’m not coming up with any great advice. You’ve had HST’s before, service is right, etc.
Wish I was of better help.

Sorry about that!

Thanks for trying, It wasn’t so bad today, was moving some snow and stood behind and I heard the typical buzz but not as bad as yesterday.
I did notice that when is was louder it was in gear...my seat was replaced and the former owner bypassed the safety switch so it was idling in low with the snowblower down when I noticed it more.
I really should reconnect the safety switch...