Buying tires and Rims ?

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Purchased my 1880 with turf tires. Thinking of ordering the other tires for winter use, more traction. Don't care for chains. Does someone besides the dealer sell tires and rims for our tractors at a better price? Thanks

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Purchased my 1880 with turf tires. Thinking of ordering the other tires for winter use, more traction. Don't care for chains. Does someone besides the dealer sell tires and rims for our tractors at a better price? Thanks
Not sure about wheels for sure, but pomps probably sells both.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
These are the wheels/tires that I got to upgrade my BX1880 with larger wheels and tires. Mine came with R1's that slipped and slid on dry soil and they would just dig a hole when wet, destroying my lawn. These roll much better and I find that the wet and dry traction is much better. No snow in Florida so I don't know how they would work with that. I don't know about if they are cheaper than the dealer. With the original tire/wheel size and going through the dealer, you are limited to R1 or Turf. With the BX2380 size there are R4's, radials, off road and other tire types to chose from.

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
The dealer quoted a little less than those. The description on those show for bigger BX, not the 1880. What do you have to do to make them work?

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
The dealer quoted a little less than those. The description on those show for bigger BX, not the 1880. What do you have to do to make them work?
Nothing. The BX1880 is the first generation of BX that uses the same mechanicals and chassis as the 23 and 26 HP models. Same wheelbase, front axle and transmission. My transmission has a tag in the back that says "BX2380". I checked the part numbers for the front axle and they are the same.
See the specs for the BX1870 vs. BX1880 and see the difference in wheelbase and length.

This is what I did with mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Ordered skid tires and rims for $530. For the BX 2680. Should give me a little lift. Salesman I deal with confirmed chassis is same across all BX machines. Should have them by monday. Thanks for all the replies.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Be sure to check with your salesman, not the parts counter. Sales can get them ordered thru Kubota "whole goods". Tires mounted on wheels will be less expensive thru "whole goods" than just buying tires thru parts.

at least, that's how it used to be.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I ripped a hole in my front tire last march. Figured just tire would be cheaper. Nope. Cheaper to buy tire and rim. Dealer is pulling stock from other dealers in the state. Otherwise it would have been a couple weeks to get them in. With shoulder surgery last week, have to get some help to mount them. Took off belly mower a couple weeks ago so don’t see any issues rubbing anywhere.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The only; advantage that I can see from purchasing the tires (and possibly wheels) from a source other than Kubota dealer whole goods is that you might be able to find a tire with more plys than the OEM tires that Kubota specs for tires. I have been thinking of buying the newer R14 tires for my BX23S, but haven't been able to confirm that they are actually better tires than the turfs that I am presently running. I have seen many tires rated at 4 ply, but they are only 2 ply of fabric, and not as stiff on the sidewall as a true 4 ply tire. Has anyone tried the CARLISLE VERSA TURF tire? It is listed as a golf cart tire with a load rating of 99, but I have no idea what that 99 number represents in weight-carrying capacity. It is also available in an 18-8.5-10 for the front tire.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Am hoping for no binding with the bigger tires in 4WD. If the bigger tires work out, may get bigger turf tires too. Will see how the 1880 handles with higher setup when using the bucket and attachments.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Be sure to check with your salesman, not the parts counter. Sales can get them ordered thru Kubota "whole goods". Tires mounted on wheels will be less expensive thru "whole goods" than just buying tires thru parts.

at least, that's how it used to be.
I just got price quote (from a dealership that I have never used) for a BH bucket, where the sales rep told me there was no difference.
I don't know what to believe!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Never have needed to buy anything through this whole goods thing but, why would a dealer have two places under one roof to purchase items with one being expensive and one way cheaper??? This boggles the mind? Please explain!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Never have needed to buy anything through this whole goods thing but, why would a dealer have two places under one roof to purchase items with one being expensive and one way cheaper??? This boggles the mind? Please explain!
I'm really not sure why but one piece of it is you wont be paying for shipping if it's ordered thru whole goods.

I've used whole goods many years ago for tires/wheels on my old BX 23 (circa 2006) and they were much cheaper that way.

Reactions: 1 user

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
I'm really not sure why but one piece of it is you wont be paying for shipping if it's ordered thru whole goods.

I've used whole goods many years ago for tires/wheels on my old BX 23 (circa 2006) and they were much cheaper that way.
Me too, I bought a whole goods set of mounted ag tires (very inexpensively) when purchasing my BX1870 to complement the turf tires it came with…I merely swap between them as needed.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Today I found this tire .. BK 18/8.50-10/D SKID POWER HD Which is a 10 ply tire with a Load capacity of 1160 pounds per tire. I believe that if it has the same rolling diameter as the crappy tires that Kubota installs on the BX23S that it would be a better choice. The Amazon site doesn't say if it is a tubeless tire or not, and it shows tubes being purchased with the tires. I also found a similar tire by Good Year, however, it is a 6 pl;y tire ( R14T ), and no weight ratings are available for that tire.

Here is a good article about tires and load ratings from what I believe is a reliable source.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Today I found this tire .. BK 18/8.50-10/D SKID POWER HD Which is a 10 ply tire with a Load capacity of 1160 pounds per tire. I believe that if it has the same rolling diameter as the crappy tires that Kubota installs on the BX23S that it would be a better choice. The Amazon site doesn't say if it is a tubeless tire or not, and it shows tubes being purchased with the tires. I also found a similar tire by Good Year, however, it is a 6 pl;y tire ( R14T ), and no weight ratings are available for that tire.

Here is a good article about tires and load ratings from what I believe is a reliable source.

I just got off the phone with a local Dealer looking for tires. They no longer get the no shipping deals with Whole Goods. The last set of tires I bought were the BK18/8.50-10 tires. They are amazing. If you get a flat they still run strong. Downside is the valve stem becomes a weakpoint and when it goes flat dirt fills inside making a bead seal difficult. I also cannot find many places that can mount the tire without some rim damage. The last shop bent both front rims. I will not use them again.

At less than $80 each on Amazon these tires are the best if you are hard on them. I live on 11 acres of razor sharp shale. Even when I am just going across the pasture the shale under the mud cuts my sidewalls. The BK tires seldom get cut all the way thru. I have almost 800 hours on my BX25d and 500 hours were with BK tires.