Buying L305dt info and advise needed

rustinmyeye

Equipment
L305dt
May 18, 2023
Bcasey93orangetractor
Staturday I'm Sending my brother to look at an L305dt thats 6 hours away from me and 1 from him. Prices on tractors have seen up to me around the New England area. Good deals pop up and I'm hoping I found one.

The owner didn't have much to say about it accept it runs and works. I had to drag basic knowledge out of him, I was able to get the tires are dry rotted and then its like he remembered the "4wd was leaking".

So I'm looking for the fast fact sheet. What are the most important things to check on these L305's
A list of common issue points and some advice on how difficult the repair is would ideal. Especially in requards to the 4wd leaks. Axle seals or Some interal PIA leak? Where will I see the dripp to determine the cause.
Screenshot_20230518_174110_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230518_174105_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230518_174116_Facebook.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no fast fact sheet.
Most of us have just bought used tractors enough to know what to look for.
leaks are common in these older tractor and most of the time it's not a worry, just check the fluids more often.
On and old model like this how easily it starts and how much smoke or blow-by is one of the most important details.
Slow start with lots of cranking, lots of white or black smoke at startup, lots of blow-by (vent tube off the left side of the engine), all point to signs that it might be due for a rebuild.

How it moves would be another thing to look at, quick clutch, sticky clutch, grinding gears sticking gear shifter, all point to transmission and clutch issues. Not the end of the world if your mechanically adept.

Hydraulic speed and function are two other critical details, both loader and three point hitch.

rustinmyeye

Equipment
L305dt
May 18, 2023
Bcasey93orangetractor
Excellect thoughts. I know the basics.
I haven't bought a 4wd kubota before. And while I probably should do some more in depth research, I was hoping on some quick pointers on what to look for if they said the "4wd seals leaks".

There is no fast fact sheet.
Most of us have just bought used tractors enough to know what to look for.
leaks are common in these older tractor and most of the time it's not a worry, just check the fluids more often.
On and old model like this how easily it starts and how much smoke or blow-by is one of the most important details.
Slow start with lots of cranking, lots of white or black smoke at startup, lots of blow-by (vent tube off the left side of the engine), all point to signs that it might be due for a rebuild.

How it moves would be another thing to look at, quick clutch, sticky clutch, grinding gears sticking gear shifter, all point to transmission and clutch issues. Not the end of the world if your mechanically adept.

Hydraulic speed and function are two other critical details, both loader and three point hitch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellect thoughts. I know the basics.
I haven't bought a 4wd kubota before. And while I probably should do some more in depth research, I was hoping on some quick pointers on what to look for if they said the "4wd seals leaks".
There three common place the front axle leaks and all are fairly simple to repair, split it an install new seal.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would want the tractor engine cold when your brother gets there. That way he can see how hard it is to start from ambient. Often the seller will know that it starts better when warm so have it running around before the buyer arrives so that it starts well. Sometimes the tractor will be sitting there running since “they just moved it up here “ so it is easy to see.

If the seller uses starting fluid to get it running from ambient then I would recommend not buying it unless you want to rebuild the engine as a first step in ownership.

Make sure all gears in all speed ranges make the tractor move forward and reverse. Make sure the.four wheel drive can move into and out of gear and that the front wheels actually assist the traction and drive. Check the brakes work and also release. Make sure the PTO output shaft rotates when in gear. Better yet see if it will drive an implement like a mower.

I have a L185 smaller but same vintage and it is still running well. They are pretty robust machines.

it looks like it has had a spray paint job so look for rust and da hidden behind the paint. Inspect the rims for rust around the valve stems. Ask if the rear tires are filled with ballast and if so what is used (calcium chloride destroys the rims and was commonly used in the past).

Make sure all the nameplates are in English, if Japanese it is probably a grey market tractor with a different tractor’s serial number plate.

Thats about all I can think of so good luck.

• Love

evantwheeler

Equipment
L305dt, L345dt x2
Apr 19, 2023
Menifee, CA
I just bought the same tractor. My first. I browsed for months, nothing but junk and overpriced rebuilt well used machines. Found one with 1200 hrs, new rubber, and new dual disc clutch. Had zero idea what i was looking at as far as if it was the right model for me, but it had a loader and a box scraper, everything worked, no odd noises, and it was very clean, albeit oxidized. New/fresh paint always bothers me on used purchases. I like to see original paint on anything i buy, rather it be bikes, vehicles, boats, etc.

I am happy with my purchase. The only way i could have done better was to find a 345dt, or payed less for the one I bought. I gave $12k for it. There was nothing in that price range even worth looking at within 250 miles in the months i searched for a tractor.

ECD45E24-5120-4439-BCDD-02A1201415FB.jpeg