Buying advice

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
Long time lurker, first time posting.... Shopping for a BX or B, used and saw a 2008 BX2350 tonight with 995 hours. Saw this under the wheel well of the right rear tire - gasket? Does that protruding gasket mean this transmission has been ripped apart and resealed?

B90B5DBD-C1C1-41F4-8618-D2C18D6FB5AD.jpeg
B90B5DBD-C1C1-41F4-8618-D2C18D6FB5AD.jpeg

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome Borgs to the Orange.

At 995 hours isn't all that bad for it's age but it sure didn't come from the factory looking like that. You are wise to take note. I would have to get some answers first.

Is it at a dealer or private individual?

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
Welcome Borgs to the Orange.

At 995 hours isn't all that bad for it's age but it sure didn't come from the factory looking like that. You are wise to take note. I would have to get some answers first.

Is it at a dealer or private individual?
Many thanks for the quick response! Private. Otherwise it looks cherry and seemed to work great.
992B7D1E-3191-45F2-AAF8-587A3F7BFB08.jpeg
6F092018-75B2-4619-AEF6-2D3FDD11C938.jpeg

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That looks to be in very good condition. It's the plastic model, I have one, all my plastics are broken, I have about the same hours but the hours my machine has were way harder than what that looks to have had. Those are in good condition, but be aware the body panels don't like rough treatment. Having said that, mine has had the rough treatment, and while cosmetically it's ugly, mechanically it's never missed a beat. If I assume they treated it mechanically as badly as they treated it cosmetically, that's a good recommendation for the strength of them.

Looks to me like someone's had it open, and then been very generous with gasket when reassembling. In some ways that may be a good sign - they cared enough to put plenty on. Alternatively, it was leaking and they just put lots on to stop it - not such a good sign. Worth the question on what it was apart for, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
definently opened up at some time.
The bracket that holds the big spring has been off at some time....and some chipped PC paint 'here and there'. One potential problem with the generous goop is what happens when some of it INSIDE, breaks off ??

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
That looks to be in very good condition. It's the plastic model, I have one, all my plastics are broken, I have about the same hours but the hours my machine has were way harder than what that looks to have had. Those are in good condition, but be aware the body panels don't like rough treatment. Having said that, mine has had the rough treatment, and while cosmetically it's ugly, mechanically it's never missed a beat. If I assume they treated it mechanically as badly as they treated it cosmetically, that's a good recommendation for the strength of them.

Looks to me like someone's had it open, and then been very generous with gasket when reassembling. In some ways that may be a good sign - they cared enough to put plenty on. Alternatively, it was leaking and they just put lots on to stop it - not such a good sign. Worth the question on what it was apart for, but not necessarily a deal breaker.
Definitely looks great, which drew me to it originally, and made me go back for a second look - when I saw this goop and snapped the pictures. Didn’t have a front end loader either, which to me means it wasn’t used hard. The owner got it from his uncle, as he says, and doesn’t have any records or documentation, and it seems as if the fluids weren’t changed since the last dealer service which was 2 years ago. After all these posts, my radar is telling me to steer clear.

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
definently opened up at some time.
The bracket that holds the big spring has been off at some time....and some chipped PC paint 'here and there'. One potential problem with the generous goop is what happens when some of it INSIDE, breaks off ??
Hadn’t thought of that. Really good point.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Definitely looks great, which drew me to it originally, and made me go back for a second look - when I saw this goop and snapped the pictures. Didn’t have a front end loader either, which to me means it wasn’t used hard. The owner got it from his uncle, as he says, and doesn’t have any records or documentation, and it seems as if the fluids weren’t changed since the last dealer service which was 2 years ago. After all these posts, my radar is telling me to steer clear.

I think you'd be wise to look elsewhere.

Besides, no loader. Get one with a loader....you can thank me later.

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
I think you'd be wise to look elsewhere.

Besides, no loader. Get one with a loader....you can thank me later.
Thank you. Yes, definitely getting a loader. But if I buy used, I’d prefer the previous owner didn’t beat the machine with a loader on it. This one was just used for mowing grass, apparently, but used hard enough to require it to be ripped apart and repaired.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thank you. Yes, definitely getting a loader. But if I buy used, I’d prefer the previous owner didn’t beat the machine with a loader on it. This one was just used for mowing grass, apparently, but used hard enough to require it to be ripped apart and repaired.
I bought my BX2350 without a loader, and added one. It was a mistake. Loaders devalue - a 2008 tractor with a 2008 loader will cost you maybe $2K extra. than a machine without a loader But if you go to put a loader on a 2008 machine without one, they're hen's teeth second hand, so you put a new one on. A new one isn't cheap, but once it's on, you now have a 2008 tractor with a loader - i.e. it's worth no more than if you'd bought the 2008 tractor with the 2008 loader.

I'm about to sell my BX2350 with 2 year old loader, and I'll probably get my money back, but only because I paid $2K for the tractor itself. I need to get $10-12K out to recover what I've put into it with adding the loader, fixing the mower deck, buying 3ph arms the last guy lost. My cheap tractor wasn't all that cheap at the end of the day.

There are plenty of BXs out there with loaders, many of them with one lady owner, or owned by a dentist who used it on the weekend once a month to move his garden mulch. And they're pretty robust machines, unless the owner's beat on it hard it'll be fine.

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
I bought my BX2350 without a loader, and added one. It was a mistake. Loaders devalue - a 2008 tractor with a 2008 loader will cost you maybe $2K extra. than a machine without a loader But if you go to put a loader on a 2008 machine without one, they're hen's teeth second hand, so you put a new one on. A new one isn't cheap, but once it's on, you now have a 2008 tractor with a loader - i.e. it's worth no more than if you'd bought the 2008 tractor with the 2008 loader.

I'm about to sell my BX2350 with 2 year old loader, and I'll probably get my money back, but only because I paid $2K for the tractor itself. I need to get $10-12K out to recover what I've put into it with adding the loader, fixing the mower deck, buying 3ph arms the last guy lost. My cheap tractor wasn't all that cheap at the end of the day.

There are plenty of BXs out there with loaders, many of them with one lady owner, or owned by a dentist who used it on the weekend once a month to move his garden mulch. And they're pretty robust machines, unless the owner's beat on it hard it'll be fine.
These are all great points, and different from what I heard from others. I can’t argue with anything you say here. I am pricing new B series units - 0% interest out to 84 months makes it difficult not to bite the bullet once and get new.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
These are all great points, and different from what I heard from others. I can’t argue with anything you say here. I am pricing new B series units - 0% interest out to 84 months makes it difficult not to bite the bullet once and get new.
Aha. I'm hopefully ordering my B2601 today, upgrade from the BX. The BX was my "prove I'd actually use a tractor" machine, hence why I bought a busted one that was really cheap. I don't have a lot of land (about an acre, but I mow maybe 3 acres because I mow some local public land too), and I don't in any way need a B. But it's a lot more machine than the BX - the low height and small wheels of the BX compromise quite a few things. If you think you might want a B, much better to just buy it now. There are very few downsides of a B compared to a BX, and a lot of upsides.

Borgs

Equipment
BX 2350
Oct 5, 2020
Bath, PA
Aha. I'm hopefully ordering my B2601 today, upgrade from the BX. The BX was my "prove I'd actually use a tractor" machine, hence why I bought a busted one that was really cheap. I don't have a lot of land (about an acre, but I mow maybe 3 acres because I mow some local public land too), and I don't in any way need a B. But it's a lot more machine than the BX - the low height and small wheels of the BX compromise quite a few things. If you think you might want a B, much better to just buy it now. There are very few downsides of a B compared to a BX, and a lot of upsides.
Thank you for the insight. Best of luck. I am leaning heavily towards the B2350. I just bought the family farm that has been in the family 5 generations. I went from .19 acres to now over 50, so I have no idea what I will need, but I know I need something!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thank you for the insight. Best of luck. I am leaning heavily towards the B2350. I just bought the family farm that has been in the family 5 generations. I went from .19 acres to now over 50, so I have no idea what I will need, but I know I need something!
A lot of what you will need will depend on what you are needing/wanting to do. We have a small 80 acre farm, with 60 acres shared crop out. We have spent over a year working on cleaning and reclaiming areas. Grandpa use to have cattle, pigs, chickens, and we have been getting rid of old structures and fence lines. So far my L3560 has handled everything I have tossed at it, just at times I have had to take smaller bites. You B2350 will handle a lot, but just in smaller bites.

So, it really comes down to what you are looking at doing and how quickly you need to get it done.

20190530_105032.jpg
Resized_20190810_095327.jpg
Resized_20200307_083145.jpg

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A BX2350 is really too small for 50 acres. My father was in an M series machine with 50 acres, and upgraded to a larger Kioti recently. I'd be looking at an L as a minimum. A BX is quite compromised in order to make a great mower. But if you're not mowing your lawns, and you want a tractor for a property of that size, I'd be looking to the L2501 or larger L, or an MX.

You'll have pasture to mow - so you'll want a 6" rotary cutter. A BX won't even lift a 6' cutter. You'll want to pull a large trailer. Unless you're looking for a machine to maintain the lawns and property around the house itself, you really need a more serious tractor than a BX. I say this owning a BX myself - it's a great machine for my 1 acre, but it's really not suitable for a property that large.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The BX might be just fine...as we don't KNOW what the 50 acres looks like or how it is to be used.. Farm might have a 10AC pond, 30 acres bush,5 swampy..and the rest too hilly to do anything safe on !
I KNOW a 40Hp tractor will work a 100AC farm just fine....did so for 67 years.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
More info is needed to help pick out a tractor for the 50 acres. As Paull said if he needs a lawn mower then the B2601 might work. If he plans on make money off the 50 acres then he needs something bigger. The lay of the land, the type of soil, desired activities i.e. growing crops, or hay or cattle are all important when you make a tractor selection. And of course the big one budget. Storage / out buildings are big influences also.

Also the hp ratings on these tractors are not the same as when GreensvilleJay talks about farming with 40 hp. 40hp was a one time a huge farm tractor. It was a welcomed improvement over the horses and mules. Modern machines require a different type of hp and they do make life much easier. A Ford 8N, with all its faults, was a godsend for many farmers at 25hp.

There was a thread about the guy with 11 acres. Several people said he needed more tractor then a L2501 4 x 4 25hp. We kept 10 acres for over 60 years with a Farmall Cub a 2 x 4 at around 10hp. It plowed hundreds of veggie gardens, mowed hundreds of acres of hay. And raked it with a damn old horse drawn dump rake. Would I want to do it again? No I will take my L2501 with a FEL any day. But the Cub is much better at prepping gardens unless you buy the tiller for the L2501

So we need to figure out the needs then the wants and then the advice.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just my 2 cents,, I have my dealer looking for a new B2601 MMM and FEL and a 3rd function for a grapple or maybe a 4way bucket. Either way the BX was a learning, and it has served admirably, doing everything I have asked. But I too didnt get a FEL with it, I wish I had! So the new onw will be a tad larger with a FEL because Old Dad cant lug and tug like he use too so there ya go, Get everything you think you might need because putting it on as an after thought often aint easy or cheap,, just MHO

Reactions: 1 user

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
Long time lurker, first time posting.... Shopping for a BX or B, used and saw a 2008 BX2350 tonight with 995 hours. Saw this under the wheel well of the right rear tire - gasket? Does that protruding gasket mean this transmission has been ripped apart and resealed?

View attachment 49113 View attachment 49113
I would say this is definitely not as it came from the factory. That does not mean there is anything wrong, it may be good for thousands of hours. But I would ask the current owner and would need a good answer before I bought it. If the current owner does not know, I would walk.