Buying advice sought, upgrade to BX25D?

DavidM

Equipment
BX2660, fel mmm box blade, rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
Huntsville, AL
For some reason, I want a backhoe. I've only needed one twice on my city lot so rented it then. Currently have a BX2660 with MMM, FEL, box blade, rear blade, and post hole digger. All those tools are needed only occasionally except the main purpose for the whole tractor is mowing the yard and needing power steering (medical problems.)

Dealer and I have worked a deal such that my payments stay essentially the same (2660 is almost paid off) but of course, another 5 year contract. Great that it is free money at 0% interest!

Others have suggested keeping the 2660 and getting an additional mini-excavator. That would be great if money was the same but I just don't have room to park one at home and be out of the weather.

One thing that surprised me and really turned me off is the BX25D has LESS horsepower than the 2660! It probably has more torque, which is most important thing in tractor power, but still... There are several things I like better about the 25D, including the removable FEL bucket, as well as being able to remove the BH and install the 3 pint hitch.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I hate to burst your bubble but I haven't really heard any reason to purchase a backhoe other then the fact that you want one. After buying a backhoe is it going to sit there and get occasional use like the other toys you have or are you going to use backhoe on a more frequent basis?

DavidM

Equipment
BX2660, fel mmm box blade, rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Not bursting my bubble. I know I just want another toy.

The FEL gets moderate use, and of course the MMM gets a lot of use. Iimagine the BH will just sit most of the time. Didn't I mention that already?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Now that we all agree you "want" not "need" a backhoe, I wouldn't worry about the HP unless you intend on running equipment that need PTO power. We have a BX2200 and a BX2660 and while the 2660 has more power, for our uses it is insignificant. The BX25 is really a BX2360 motor, don't know why they bother with the 25 designation.

I also "want" a backhoe, but I "want" other things more and having owned one know it will just sit around, so...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Call me crazy but it sounds like a bit of money will be spent on something that's just going to sit there and collect rust and go to waste. If you plan to get he backhoe and use it on a frequent basis and its justifiable buying one then get it.

IF indeed its going to sit as you say it is then the cylinders will get some surface rust on the chrome causing a maintenance issue. Then the seals will start to rot and leak causing a further maintenance issue headache and expense. Not to mention all the hydraulic hoses will start to weather rot and crack and need replacing.

SOOOOO do you really want to spend more money on something that's just going to sit and collect rust and dust and seldom get used?

It is your money after all....

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
For some reason, I want a backhoe. I've only needed one twice on my city lot so rented it then. Currently have a BX2660 with MMM, FEL, box blade, rear blade, and post hole digger. All those tools are needed only occasionally except the main purpose for the whole tractor is mowing the yard and needing power steering (medical problems.)

Dealer and I have worked a deal such that my payments stay essentially the same (2660 is almost paid off) but of course, another 5 year contract. Great that it is free money at 0% interest!

Others have suggested keeping the 2660 and getting an additional mini-excavator. That would be great if money was the same but I just don't have room to park one at home and be out of the weather.

One thing that surprised me and really turned me off is the BX25D has LESS horsepower than the 2660! It probably has more torque, which is most important thing in tractor power, but still... There are several things I like better about the 25D, including the removable FEL bucket, as well as being able to remove the BH and install the 3 pint hitch.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
They may have reduced the hp to meet EPA requirements. Whatever the reason, for that size tractor, you have more power than traction. And as Triple said, unless you are going to really work the PTO, you won't notice the difference.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I'd say go for it, get one and you will find it more uses for it than you think.
Who cares what anybody thinks, you want one get one. :D:D:D

jeep07

Dec 30, 2012
tn
I agree. For those times you do need it you will have it and enjoy using it. My only question is why not just get one for your tractor instead of a new tractor? Either way im a thumbs up. Right tool ready at the right time for the right job.... next time you do need a bh youll be disapointed you dont have your own.