Buying advice-B2920 vs B3200

Rockridge ranch

May 22, 2012
Fallbrook CA
I am looking buying either a B2920 with a BH65 backhoe or a B3200 with a BH77. I have an avocado grove and am wondering about the stability of these tractors on a slope. I realize that these machines probably aren't great on a cross slope and wider width would be better though they seemed to get taller as they get wider. Unfortunately, I am limited in the width of the tractor due to some of the spaces I need to navigate. I looked at the B3300 but at 60" it is too wide. The B3200 is 54" but sits a couple of inches higher than the B2920 which is 49".

Is B2920 with the smaller tires, less ground clearance and lower CG less tippy than the taller but wider B3200?
Any preference of the 3 cylinder over the 4 cyl of the 3200?

I also am wondering about the ability of the backhoe. I will be using it to dig out stumps and trench for irrigation and electrical conduit. Our ground is hard and rocky so I was figuring on the 10" bucket to lighten the load.
Other than the shorter reach, is the BH65 significantly less capable than the BH77?
And is the 150 degree swing of the BH65 a hindrance over the 180 degree swing of the BH77

I appreciate your opinion on any experience you have had with either machine.

Thanks,
Ed

Rockridge ranch

May 22, 2012
Fallbrook CA
The excavator would be great for the trenching, but I also need the loader for moving dirt and a 3 point pallet fork for moving avocado bins. Hoping a TLB would work for everything.

wschapinjr

Equipment
b2620
May 23, 2012
Steep Falls, ME
I have the bh65 on a 2620 and which is similiar to the 2920 you are looking at. The hoe works great with the 16" bucket with teeth. So far I have removed and reburied half the stumps on my property with ease!
I read that the 4 cyl in the 3200 has some serious vibration issues. Something to do with the timing and emissions. You might want to look into that.
Good luck on your purchase....I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The excavator would be great for the trenching, but I also need the loader for moving dirt and a 3 point pallet fork for moving avocado bins. Hoping a TLB would work for everything.
While I agree with Eric that an excavator would be useful, it sounds like you will be motorvating around a lot- so, a tractor would be much more condusive to that.
Any way your local dealer will let you try out both tractors? Get a feel for each one, and it if will work for you?

Rockridge ranch

May 22, 2012
Fallbrook CA
I'm leaning towards the 2920. It's good to hear that the BH65 is strong. Our soil is rocky but, fortunately, avocado roots don't go too deep .
I also read that the 3200 sometime has a vibration problem, though I talked with a service guy at the dealer today and they haven't had any 3200 issues. Unfortunately, none of the dealers in around here have either backhoe in stock- all come down from Lodi.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm leaning towards the 2920. It's good to hear that the BH65 is strong. Our soil is rocky but, fortunately, avocado roots don't go too deep .
I also read that the 3200 sometime has a vibration problem, though I talked with a service guy at the dealer today and they haven't had any 3200 issues. Unfortunately, none of the dealers in around here have either backhoe in stock- all come down from Lodi.
If I were going to replace my B7100, I'd probably spring for a 2920. Sweet tractor.