Buying a new tractor - what can I haggle?

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
On mine, dealer wrote up the order and I asked whether there was a discount for cash. He said, cash is king, knocked off $700 I believe it was.

Reactions: 1 user

FairMeadow

Aug 20, 2021
Massachusetts
Not sure if my comment on equine discount got lost - but if you're finding haggling hard, the equine discount I believe is the way to go. It's guaranteed, and it comes from Kubota not the dealer, so they don't really care whether you get it or not - makes no difference to them. And you can join an appropriate equine society for free.
Thanks Paul. We're looking into this as a result of your comment. That's great

D

Deleted member 47704

Thanks Paul. We're looking into this as a result of your comment. That's great
Cutting horse membership fee is only 65 bucks for non competitor

Last edited by a moderator:

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
If you're paying cash you might be able to haggle a little bit. If you're financing, probably not. The old saying is true-----cash talks, BS walks.
That old saying sure is quite old and ready to be retired.

Dealers make money on writing financing. Most car lots make MOST of their money that way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get an 'out the door' price... the 'bottom line' amount . If you haggle for just the tractor, they'll add on PDI, del $,XYZ,fuel and a whole lot of BS charges AND then taxes on top .

3yrs ago,on a friday, I went in (knew the prices....) said I want that BX23S,3ph kit, 50hr svc, somethin else....have $xxxx, do we have a deal ? he dropped it all off 3 days later.

D

Deleted member 47704

get an 'out the door' price... the 'bottom line' amount . If you haggle for just the tractor, they'll add on PDI, del $,XYZ,fuel and a whole lot of BS charges AND then taxes on top .

3yrs ago,on a friday, I went in (knew the prices....) said I want that BX23S,3ph kit, 50hr svc, somethin else....have $xxxx, do we have a deal ? he dropped it all off 3 days later.
Knowing what you want helps. They don't have to spend time educating a customer.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Not sure if my comment on equine discount got lost - but if you're finding haggling hard, the equine discount I believe is the way to go. It's guaranteed, and it comes from Kubota not the dealer, so they don't really care whether you get it or not - makes no difference to them. And you can join an appropriate equine society for free.
So, I looked hard at this when I purchased late winter/spring. Go deep into the website page & READ the fine print in the T&Cs and do the math - also search the archives. Like everything in life it sounds too good to be true, it probably is... There are a fair number of exceptions and exclusions. For some cases it is a great deal - but not mine.

The "it depends" comes from whether you want the just base tractor, what and how many attachments and implements, and your cash flow. In my situation, finding a good high-volume dealer that treated me fairly w/ some discount and could get it in in a reasonable time was key.

That plus the 0% leads you to the KTAC decision next. BTW I went with it and they will refund the unused part rolled in if you decide to go with your own insurance during the term. It seemed expensive on first pass but smart in the long run.

Last edited:

FairMeadow

Aug 20, 2021
Massachusetts
Update: I spoke with the dealer today. The equine discount saved us almost 9k. Paul, you’re amazing. Thank you so much!

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Update: I spoke with the dealer today. The equine discount saved us almost 9k. Paul, you’re amazing. Thank you so much!
Awesome for you!! I wish I could claim knowledge, but it's only something I learned on here as well.

Reactions: 2 users
D

Deleted member 47704

No, there is a non competitor membership.
If they required horses I would adopt a cat and tell them he identifies as a horse.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
and they will refund the unused part rolled in if you decide to go with your own insurance during the term. It seemed expensive on first pass but smart in the long run.
Yes, but it's not straight pro-rated. A cancellation of the Kubota insurance , for example just a year or 2 in of 7 year term, will see probably around half of the premiums gone. After 4 years you may see a few hundred back at most.
The premiums are heavily front-loaded according to insurance industry standard calculations.

D

Deleted member 47704

Yes, but it's not straight pro-rated. A cancellation of the Kubota insurance , for example just a year or 2 in of 7 year term, will see probably around half of the premiums gone. After 4 years you may see a few hundred back at most.
The premiums are heavily front-loaded according to insurance industry standard calculations.
I would keep the insurance right now even if I was going to pay off tractor. Tractor thefts are high right now.

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
Can one pay the finance balance off completely and still time out the insurance for full 7 years term?
You can just get a policy directly from Ktac. I bought my tractor outright and did that. I even put my mower on the policy because it was so cheap.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Very interesting - I specifically asked about this and they said it was even throughout the loan like the payments in general.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Very interesting - I specifically asked about this and they said it was even throughout the loan like the payments in general.
Mine is in Canada so there's likely differences in the insurance details, like any pro-rating of premiums if insurance cancelled before 7 year term. I'll look up my fine print....

My certificate originates with AIG as the underwriter. Not sure who underwrites Kubota financing coverage in the USA.

"When a certificate of insurance is cancelled in accordance with this section, return premium will be calculated in accordance with the policy provisions, less the policy fee shown in the certificate of insurance. The $50 policy fee is non-refundable. If the certificate of insurance is cancelled within thirty (30) days of purchase, the full premium less the policy fee will be refunded. If the certificate of insurance is cancelled after thirty (30) calendar days and prior to the full term, you will be refunded the unearned portion of the paid premium as follows:

The unearned premium is calculated using a blended rate of twenty five percent (25%) pro-rata and seventy five percent (75%) rule of 78s, less the policy fee. The below chart contains examples of how this blended rate applies.

36 Month Term of Coverage

Original Premium Amount

$1,200.00

$1,200.00

$1,200.00

$1,200.00

Cancellation Month

Month 1

Month 12

Month 24

Month 36

Expected Amount of Unearned Premium