Buying a new tractor soon.

BigMeetch

Sep 5, 2022
NH
I have a little over an acre of land but it is a mess. The front yard has an old asphalt walkway that needs to be torn up, it’s completely unlevel ect. The backyard had a new septic put in and now there is a giant hill, that need a lot more fill to become mowable. The rest needs general grading. I also have a lot of woods to clear. Would a BX1880 be up to these tasks?

also the dealership quoted me 16800 for a bx1880 with fel. Is this a reasonable price these days? I see posts from a few years ago where they were selling for 13. Not sure the price will ever come back down?

thanks

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Personally, I'd rather have a B series. You can get a jump on things by checking a somewhat parallel post here:

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I have a little over an acre of land but it is a mess. The front yard has an old asphalt walkway that needs to be torn up, it’s completely unlevel ect. The backyard had a new septic put in and now there is a giant hill, that need a lot more fill to become mowable. The rest needs general grading. I also have a lot of woods to clear. Would a BX1880 be up to these tasks?

also the dealership quoted me 16800 for a bx1880 with fel. Is this a reasonable price these days? I see posts from a few years ago where they were selling for 13. Not sure the price will ever come back down?

thanks
Everything you list is well within the abilities of a BX. “Lots of woods to clear” can mean many different things but on an acre you should be OK with the BX……you will just have to take small bites.

As far as price just build the same tractor on Kubota’s website for a cost comparison.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
How many posts until an MX is recommended?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

BigMeetch

Sep 5, 2022
NH
Also I should add I considered hiring out to do the work but the landscapers were asking 10,000 just to fill in the septic hump

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
My only suggestion would be to determine your needs (tasks, projects and etc.) after you complete your current list. Even if taking it slow takes you a year or so to complete the current list, then what?

If you do not have steady work to do with a tractor, what will you do with it.

You may have many tasks/projects (including just mowing your yard) in the future, and you should buy a tractor. If you are stumped for needs in the future, you might want to rent or contract for the work.

EDIT: Saw your price quote after I posted. You might just be down to the choice of buy or rent.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A BX1880, BX2380, B2301 or B2601 would all do the job.

Your short term job would be done OK with all of them. The question is what is the long term job of teh tractor - are you buying it to resell when the work is done (in which case maybe look second hand), or will you keep it? If you're keeping it, then will it be moving snow, mowing lawns, moving mulch, chipping downed tree limbs? The BX1880 is a bit underpowered for some of those tasks, the BX2380 a better buy often. But for purely FEL type tasks, they pretty much do the same job.

The B2301 or B2601 do a similar job for not that much more money, they have more lift capacity and more ground clearance. If the "clearing woods" bit needs a bit more tractor than a BX, then the B is the model to use.

My gut says the BX1880 is probably fine for you, and the BX2380 a bit better and less likely to leave you with regrets.

But if the main job is the levelling....you could rent an L-size machine for a weekend and probably get it done.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The backyard had a new septic put in and now there is a giant hill, that need a lot more fill to become mowable.
A septic installation that left a hill above ground? You'd better check with your septic company or your county. You might have an "alternative" septic system, and it might be very bad to do anything with that hill. It might even be illegal.

For the cost of a phone call and a few minutes of your time, you would be crazy to NOT investigate what you can and cannot do with it.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A septic installation that left a hill above ground? You'd better check with your septic company or your county. You might have an "alternative" septic system, and it might be very bad to do anything with that hill. It might even be illegal.

For the cost of a phone call and a few minutes of your time, you would be crazy to NOT investigate what you can and cannot do with it.
I interpreted that as being the fill left over from the septic install, not a hill on top of the septic install.

BigMeetch

Sep 5, 2022
NH

Yeah I could definitely have been more clear. My back yard has a pretty decent grade and the septic and then leach field comes straight out then drops off almost straight down about 7ish feet. Just wanted to add dirt to the side of the leach field so the slope is a little less and will hold grass and become mow-able. never really considered if I could do that or not?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Just wanted to add dirt to the side of the leach field so the slope is a little less and will hold grass and become mow-able. never really considered if I could do that or not?

I dunno, but I'd play it safe and make a phone call. I do know some of the alternative types are pretty touchy.

And hey, if you make the call, and the guy thinks you are nuts for asking, well, no harm done.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
It's not uncommon in my area to see 'septic system hills' in the yards of homes; it's related to the 'water table' determined during a 'perc test', and if the water table is 'high', the leach field (or septic pits, depending on the system's design) need to placed above said water table so that 'effluent' can seep through 'special sand' and thus be 'treated' before reaching the water table. :)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It's not uncommon in my area to see 'septic system hills' in the yards of homes; it's related to the 'water table' determined during a 'perc test', and if the water table is 'high', the leach field (or septic pits, depending on the system's design) need to placed above said water table so that 'effluent' can seep through 'special sand' and thus be 'treated' before reaching the water table. :)
In my area they push the sand mound on most installations. The soil testing is crude at best and they just say sand mound rather than doing a proper test. That type of system adds considerable cost and future maintenance.

BigMeetch

Sep 5, 2022
NH
In my area they push the sand mound on most installations. The soil testing is crude at best and they just say sand mound rather than doing a proper test. That type of system adds considerable cost and future maintenance.
[/QUOTE
this is exactly my situation. Not touching the actual leach field just adding dirt to the sides.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Sounds like you have a mound system. Just adding fill around the perimeter is no big deal. I know exactly what you are talking about. A friend had the same issue. If the grass was wet with dew the zero turn couldn't make it up without spinning tires.

Reactions: 1 user

FOXHAVEN

thanks
Can't speak to the prices but I recommend you check out "GP Outdoors" on you tube, he does a lot of tasks using a B2601. It may give you some insight on what size tractor is best for you and your projects.