bush hog 3210

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
Just bought a used bush hog 3210. Ten feet of mower. Seller said he just replaced both gear boxes. Come to find out that the truth is he replaced left had gear box a year ago. replaced rh gear bos 3 months ago. Lh gear bos is leaking oil. Friend said to jsut fill full of grease because leaking gear boses on big mowers is common, especially bush hog brand. Truth or fiction? Do I need to pull the leaking gear box and rebuild it?

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I chatted with a buddy today, he runs a 360 acre sod farm.
He says fix the gear box if ytou can.
If not then grease and gear oil.
Keep it topped up.

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
I might have spoke too soon. I bought the Bush Hog and then it had to sit for a month til I had chance to put it thru it's paces. I checked all three gear boxes before I ran the Bush Hog. I am a retired equipment repairman and know what happens to gear boxes that have been run dry. I could find no lubricant in the LH gear box by dropping a small stick into the filler hole. I assume the gear box was leaking because of the lack of lubricant and a oily film seen thru port hole in deck. Well, today it got put thru it's paces. Eight hours of almost continious running in our front field. jacked her up a mite and was mowing the tops off numerous weeds that were outpacing the clover and fescue. Said gear box did not seem to lose any lubricant. It got hot, but was comparable to other two gear boxes. Could not detect a rough feel when turning blades by hand, {before mounting on tractor}. I do have a slight bit of noise from one of the universal joints on the PTO shaft. Yes, I lubed all points with a grease gun before ever hooking mower up for first time. Consenus: I think I bought a winner here. Pic of Godzilla to follow when I get it figgered out.

Thats me on left and "the Boss" on the right. We both are standing on "Godzilla".

Last edited: