Bush Hog 286 vibration

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
not that the driveshaft in the picture is safe, far from it with no shielding whatsoever. That is an entanglement accident waiting to happen. Lots of people do that because shielding is a PITA until someone gets hurt or killed. No, non enclosed pto shafts on this farm
Point well taken and agreed. This is the only one without shields. However, regardless of shield or not, no one is allowed off the tractor seat when its running and has a PTO implement hooked up. If you need a water break you shut off the tractor first.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
There’s no reason to be dismissive of another’s effort to help, IMO. It’s unfriendly and discourages helpful ideas. Don’t like what someone posts? Post factual info that proves your point. Politely.
Thank you for this response.

I have been wrong and am willing to admit it.

Science and engineering lie behind the design and manufacturing of the orange tractors and it helps the less knowledgeable learn if the solution offered is not a "I have done it this way for 40 years" so I must be right and listen only to me type of post.

Many, including NIW, Whitetiger, me....have attempted to convince Flip to moderate his posts without success so most who have been around a while just ignore him but every once in a while someone will get frustrated with him and try again.

This thread was my turn to try obviously again without success.

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
George... I stated what I have to say. At 70, I don't mince words anymore. Nicey-Nicey isn't part of my vocabulary.

It's the blades, or sloppy pivot bolts, not the driveshaft anyway, not that the driveshaft in the picture is safe, far from it with no shielding whatsoever. That is an entanglement accident waiting to happen. Lots of people do that because shielding is a PITA until someone gets hurt or killed. No, non enclosed pto shafts on this farm
Rudeness and disrespect is not necessary to avoid “mincing” words. At 72 I’ve learned that. Your Age is no excuse for bad behavior. It only reflects poorly upon oneself.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Point well taken and agreed. This is the only one without shields. However, regardless of shield or not, no one is allowed off the tractor seat when its running and has a PTO implement hooked up. If you need a water break you shut off the tractor first.
You can get a new shield, I suggest you look at Bare Co for a replacement shield.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I find his technical dissertations at times to be tedious and the dude is never wrong. Gets old after a while. Same deal on TbyNet. Encyclopedia of cut and paste knowledge.

My coffee was fine this morning, just like every morning, Half-Caff. Maybe working on the round baler frayed my nerves a bit. I'd post the issue on there but old Dave would have a cut and paste solution I'm sure.
I'm 77 and I don't mince words either! You can say what you have to say without taking a shot at Dave.
Dave is trying to help the OP with a problem he is having. As an engineer myself, explanations to help someone with the "why" of a situation is the best way I know to help someone with a technical problem who is at a distance. It helps them trouble shoot. Your experience is also a valuable asset on these forums. So why not be part of the solution to help the OP? What purpose is there in attacking someone who is just trying to help? Willingly sharing our knowledge and experience with those who are new to ag machinery is a real gift. We all have our opinions and we don't have to agree. Trying to diagnose someone's mechanical problem from many miles away from just their description sent to this forum is one of the hardest things to do accurately. Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are not. But we are all trying to help and that's a noble thing to do. If you have the type of personality that you have to always be right, perhaps internet forums are not for you. But please don't criticize someone who is honestly trying to help someone with a technical question. It reflects poorly on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I think between here and Tractor By Net Dave is a keyboard 'professional' . I'll leave it at that.
\
Got more pressing issues right now anyway with equipment.

Besides, it's a blade imbalance, nothing more.

Last edited:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thanks for all the help. Changed up the blades and pivot bolts and smooth as silk.

I also wanted to report to everyone here on Bush Hog. I was able to easily remove the 1-11/16 nuts from the pivot bolts with my 3/4 air impact but COULD NOT get the pivot bolts dislodged. After two days of pounding (as Youtube videos showed) I called Bush Hog for help. Within 24 hours they sent two guys to my house that removed the bolts (after 30 minutes of pounding) and put the new blades on and told me to return the pivots I had purchased, as they used some they brought--ALL FOR FREE.

That's customer service. My 14 year old bush hog runs like new again.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Check the blades. My 3008 will vibrate if the blades are stuck. I get under it and work the blades until they spin free and then spray lube them.