Bush Hog 286 vibration

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Recently I have noticed my well used bush hog has a rough start (wobble) at start up at idle speed and a very noticeable vibration at mowing speed. I have looked underneath and cannot see anything that seems obviously wrong. Everything seems to look fine. No leaks of oil, no funny noises or anything else.

I purchased it used with the tractor and have no idea if the blades are original.

Any ideas of what could be causing it to wobble hard at start up and vibrate at full speed? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
You may want to check a number of items:
1. Is there any oil in the gearbox. They normally have a fill port and a full level drain port where oil will run out when at the full level.
2. Stand overnight with paper below to see if oil leaks.
3. Can you easily turn the blades manually, is the operation smooth.
4. Safely inspect the unit from underneath (jack stands). Any play or wobble in rotation of stump jumper / blade assembly.
5. If all looks good, maybe is time for new blades, bent blades?
6. Are bolts between gearbox and main metal frame tight.
7. Inspect PTO shaft, bent? U joints?

Good luck with it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Blades not of equal weight? Pull the blades and weigh them on a scale. Should be equal in weight and the pivot pins / bolts not sloppy.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
Recently I have noticed my well used bush hog has a rough start (wobble) at start up at idle speed and a very noticeable vibration at mowing speed. I have looked underneath and cannot see anything that seems obviously wrong. Everything seems to look fine. No leaks of oil, no funny noises or anything else.

I purchased it used with the tractor and have no idea if the blades are original.

Any ideas of what could be causing it to wobble hard at start up and vibrate at full speed? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That kind of thing is indicative of either a bent shaft, PTO issues or blade(s) not properly rotating on the head.

Personally I would check the u-joints as mentioned above by upnorth. Gearbox could be crapping out as well. You don't mention how many hours are on this unit.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thanks for the insight. I think I can rule out PTO shaft problems as the shaft easily slides in and out the entire length and I doubt it would if it were bent. I can also rule out the oil level as I check that about every 3rd use.

I will try to jack it up and see if I can rotate as suggested and from there take off the blades and weigh. Hopefully its not a gear box issue but when I changed the oil I didn't see any evidence of metal shavings or the like.

As far as the age I really don't know. It was part of a used "package" with the tractor. So on that note I don't know if these are the original blades or not.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Betting on either the blades or the pivot bolts or both.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Is the real shaft of the pto shaft a profile which can only go together one way?

Since you don't know the age of the cutter, I wonder about the phasing of the shaft.

Old equipment with square cross section pto shafts had a ball bearing pressed into the end of the inner shaft so the two halves could only go together one way.

If the shaft was shortened, this ball bearing indexing feature was lost and the two halves could be put together out of phase resulting in severe vibration.

If not this, then try without blades to see if things are improved.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
At 540 shaft rotation speed, I don't think rotational harmonics would be an impact or at least very little. If it's a square drive shaft, just set the crosses at 180 degrees to each other when sliding the sections together.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
pto shaft out of time? Good demo video.

Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
At 540 shaft rotation speed, I don't think rotational harmonics would be an impact or at least very little. If it's a square drive shaft, just set the crosses at 180 degrees to each other when sliding the sections together.
You are wrong!

If the shaft has any degree of an angle on the U joints, the phasing vibration is strong.

Of course the fix is simple if and I repeat if, you recognize the importance of phasing which, with modern pto shafts, improper phasing has been engineered out of existence, so younger owners have no knowledge of nor experience with it.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Whatever Dave, all my pto driven implements (I have a lot) have never had a vibration issue but then I always make sure the angle of the dangle is as straight as possible. I bet his issue is one blade is heavier than the other or the pivot bolts are worn and the blades are sloppy on the pivots. Unbalance blades and worn pivots will impart vibration.

I keep forgetting that being an engineer like you supposedly are and being a Canadian, you are always right. I digreess to your infinite wisdom hallowed one.

Of course most of my bigger PTO implements have constant velocity double Cardan joints too.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So I spun it yesterday by hand. When I wasn't holding the camera and used both hands it spun for about 10 seconds by itself after I quit and let it go. I did record it spinning it with one hand and it still spun for about 5 seconds or more.

I am going to attach the video as I'm not sure which shaft I have as discussed above. I believe it has to be the blades. (The banging noise is the other end flopping as it turns).

Flip, not to show my ignorance but where are the pivot bolts? I'm assuming thats what attaches the blades.

https://youtu.be/DE4Xg-dQT8o

Last edited:

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Whatever Dave, all my pto driven implements (I have a lot) have never had a vibration issue but then I always make sure the angle of the dangle is as straight as possible. I bet his issue is one blade is heavier than the other or the pivot bolts are worn and the blades are sloppy on the pivots. Unbalance blades and worn pivots will impart vibration.

I keep forgetting that being an engineer like you supposedly are and being a Canadian, you are always right. I digreess to your infinite wisdom hallowed one.

Of course most of my bigger PTO implements have constant velocity double Cardan joints too.
Wow. Either have less coffee or more sugar there flip, you seem kind of bitter today.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Pivot bolts are under the mower deck where the blades attach to the rotating bar (stump jumper?) and allow the blades to fold if they hit something.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
As mentioned above: check your gearbox mounting bolts.
My Woods 48” loosen up and I have to snug them up about once a year.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So I spun it yesterday by hand. When I wasn't holding the camera and used both hands it spun for about 10 seconds by itself after I quit and let it go. I did record it spinning it with one hand and it still spun for about 5 seconds or more.

I am going to attach the video as I'm not sure which shaft I have as discussed above. I believe it has to be the blades. (The banging noise is the other end flopping as it turns).

Flip, not to show my ignorance but where are the pivot bolts? I'm assuming thats what attaches the blades.

https://youtu.be/DE4Xg-dQT8o

They do. My Landpride bat wing has rubber plugs on the top of the deck to access the nuts, yours may not. Takes a stout impact wrench to break them, be apprised of that.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wow. Either have less coffee or more sugar there flip, you seem kind of bitter today.

I find his technical dissertations at times to be tedious and the dude is never wrong. Gets old after a while. Same deal on TbyNet. Encyclopedia of cut and paste knowledge.

My coffee was fine this morning, just like every morning, Half-Caff. Maybe working on the round baler frayed my nerves a bit. I'd post the issue on there but old Dave would have a cut and paste solution I'm sure.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Every now and then when I start up my 286 it vibrates really bad, even with new blades. After shutting it down I do an inspection. Everything seems tight, so I swing the blades on their pivots, leaving them at an angle. Baffled I restart the mower, now everything is fine, zero vibration.
This happens usually on my first startup of the season.
My only explanation is that one or both blades stick a little at the pivots and don't fly out straight.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

There’s no reason to be dismissive of another’s effort to help, IMO. It’s unfriendly and discourages helpful ideas. Don’t like what someone posts? Post factual info that proves your point. Politely.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
George... I stated what I have to say. At 70, I don't mince words anymore. Nicey-Nicey isn't part of my vocabulary.

It's the blades, or sloppy pivot bolts, not the driveshaft anyway, not that the driveshaft in the picture is safe, far from it with no shielding whatsoever. That is an entanglement accident waiting to happen. Lots of people do that because shielding is a PITA until someone gets hurt or killed. No, non enclosed pto shafts on this farm