Burned by EA

Kroy64

Equipment
L4701 HST w/ 765 FEL, 72” Land Pride box blade, 72” Land Pride brush hog
Nov 22, 2023
N.E. Indiana
I thought I had found the right grapple for my 4701, don’t believe it will ever show! What grapple dose OTT suggest for my 4701?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I thought I had found the right grapple for my 4701, don’t believe it will ever show! What grapple dose OTT suggest for my 4701?
If you paid by CC, see if your bank will reimburse you because of fraud.

Reactions: 1 user

Kroy64

Equipment
Nov 22, 2023
N.E. Indiana
If you paid by CC, see if your bank will reimburse you because of fraud.
Ya, started all that a while back after getting full voice mail and no email return. I was hoping to be using my new grapple by now. So now to find a different one. I’ve seen a lot of posts on grapples but few for a L4701. I have a WR Long third function already installed.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
What OTT members suggest as a whole is usually not inline with my personal opinion. My experience was mostly with ground engagement implements on a commercial level and not hobby tractors. So, please take my advice with a grain of salt...
If I were shopping for a grapple, I wouldn't be.... I would be shopping for a 4 in 1 bucket. And a good set of forks if you don't already have them.

I don't agree 100 percent with the following video... but it shows the options.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Ya, started all that a while back after getting full voice mail and no email return. I was hoping to be using my new grapple by now. So now to find a different one. I’ve seen a lot of posts on grapples but few for a L4701. I have a WR Long third function already installed.
Lots of people are happy with grapples from Landpride, Homestead, or Virning.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
When I bought my L, I spent months researching making sure I got exactly the tractor I wanted and needed. I also knew I needed a grapple immediately. For reasons still unexplainable, I spent zero time researching grapples. Dealer had three Tar River CRG72’s on the lot so I told him to throw one in the deal after looking at one from 50’ for about 3 seconds. I’m not exactly recommending it (if you compare photos you can see I had to modify the lid teeth because the gusset was too short and the teeth kept bending), but you might get a little useful info.

Mine weighs in at about 480lb. I’m pretty sure that reduces weight capacity available for cargo by about 480lb. It still carries a decent amount of weight. With loaded rears and the 525lb boxblade it’s reasonably balanced. For logs, brush, and general debris I like the long bottom. If you want to do much root raking the vertical may be preferable; don’t know. The long bottom will root rake but it has to be curled down pretty far to do it.

The 72” width may not be necessary depending on what you plan to do with it. A bit narrower would probably be fine for logs. I seem to move a lot of brush with mine so I like being able to take the biggest bite practical. Most of the time I like it being tractor width, same as the stock bucket. You could cut some weight going narrower. Clearing debris off the ground I kind of like a single swath being tractor width or a bit more.

Twin lid is a definite plus. Maybe if it was narrow it wouldn’t make much difference. Seems to really help with odd shaped logs, multiple logs that don’t sit in a neat stack, and brush that can be all sorts of uneven.

If I was doing it again, I’d probably be shopping for potentially lower weight via better steel as well as preferring greasable pins. That said, seems like the last time I was looking at a similar thread, EA hadn’t folded yet and the comparable EA many were drooling over was within 20lb. Would still go with a 72” long bottom twin lid for my purposes. I don’t hate my Tar River; still probably my favorite implement overall and no issues since modifying the lid teeth. But could I have chosen better? Probably. I hear good things about Landpride, Homestead, and Virnig. No experience with any of them.

Some will probably tell you to just use forks. I have forks. They’re awesome. There’s some overlap in functionality; kind of like the overlap in functionality between a sedan and a pickup. They’re not the same and depending on the job, one is a poor substitute for the other. If you consider a 4 in 1 bucket, check the weight. Most of them are designed for larger machines and are very heavy.

IMG_8487.jpeg
IMG_0746.jpeg

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
A lot depends on what you want it to do. Brush? Logs? Both?
Long tines (IMHO) do a great job moving multiple logs and split firewood. It is at the expense of weight.
Short tines preserve your lifting capacity but somewhat limit how much stuff you can fit in the jaws.
Look for thick/ laminated tines. They are less likely to bend.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If I were you I'd get a WR Long grapple they are well build and usually in stock

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Consider the LandPride SGC1060 if you're looking for the claw style. I just got one for my L35, but was a couple of hoses short of getting it connected, it was too wet to use it anyway. LP also has the SGC0660 if you want a lighter, and less expensive, grapple. Compared to the 0660, the 1060 has thicker tines and they're closer together. Both are AR400 steel (tines only, i suspect). Wider ones are available.

I was a little surprised how big the grip is when fully closed, around 12", see picture. I have more pictures if you're interested.
IMG_20240408_144809823.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
My grapple, good for all kinds of things, used mostly for pulling sage brush and planting railroad ties, from EA several years ago I seem to recall. It's jaw close tight enough, match up well, to pull small brush with no slippage.
IMG_20210422_161239271.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All attachments have their place, if you have a lot of brush and logs to deal with, grapples are a good choice. If all you do is 'ground relocation operations', then a 4in1 bucket may be the choice.
It all depends on your land and what needs to be done. have heard that 4in1 buckets are rediculously HEAVY so what you can carry is reduced.Check the numbers but if a 4in1 weighs 200# more than option 'g', that's 20# less brush you can haul.

EA is for all intents and purposes out of business, over 10 million in the hole and an 'overseer' calling the shots.last time I checked you could not order online.Even they were 'open for business', I'd ask if ALL back orders have been shipped.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I ordered a Homestead Implements grapple last week. I thought they looked good for the $...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What OTT members suggest as a whole is usually not inline with my personal opinion. My experience was mostly with ground engagement implements on a commercial level and not hobby tractors. So, please take my advice with a grain of salt...
If I were shopping for a grapple, I wouldn't be.... I would be shopping for a 4 in 1 bucket. And a good set of forks if you don't already have them.

A 4in1 bucket has a purpose and is excellent for some jobs, but it is EXTREMELY heavy. Take the weight into account especially if thinking about using on a tractor under about 60HP.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Ooops....!
IMHO a 4 in 1 bucket is a bad idea, .....unless you have a crawler machine.
Too much dead weight for Kubota mid size machines.

Kroy64

Equipment
Nov 22, 2023
N.E. Indiana
Thanks for all the info. Homestead and stinger kind of piqued my interest! I’ll probably check out LP at the local dealer next week too.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Neal at Messick's recently did a video about grapples and the differnt types:

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
I've never really understood why the landpride grapples don't get more love. My dealer always seems to have stock. Prices are reasonable, no risk, no wait.
I have two. One on my L3301 and another on my MX5400.
Both have been flawless. I have bent a tine or two but it has not effected their usefulness. I would say bends were from overzealous usage.
I seldom remove them.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Much like you, I did no research into grapples, I just told the salesman to "throw one onto the list"

They sold HLA, so that's what I ended up with. I do like my HLA grapple, but if I were to do it over again, I might look at getting a "dual lid" design and possibly the "laminated tines".

I have bent a tine (or 2) picking up rocks, but I consider that more or less, "operator error" since it was most likely designed for logs and brush.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Abuse anything by going beyond it's limits will bend or break things...tis the nature of 'physics' . it is NOT the tool's fault.