Bulk Material Advice

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Guys,
O need to repair about 150 lineal feet by 5 feet wide by 3 feet deep along my pond. The shore eroded and muskrats like to burrow through to the water level. O noticed the level did not rise and found its leaking through to a nearby ditch then going on to the property next to me.
My issue is looking for Sandstone etc..every one speaks in Tons. Well 1 rock could be 2000 pounds for all I know.
I dont want to over purchase then have a mess. Im thinking of like basketball size rocks but have no clue how to determine how many tons or yards that would be.
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
150X5X3 = 2250 cubic feet.
Conversion calculator says 83 yards

Average 20 ton dump truck holds 10 - 15 yards. Stone

Quarries around me are pretty good about telling you how much you need if you give them the measurements.

Tons to yards depends on the item.

Do not quote me on this. I just know a 20 ton truck gets me a couple of years on the driveway

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
... also... Rip-Rap size is from softball to medicine ball sized. So a load is a mix of it. Most will be about basketball sized up to and down to the extreme. Most quarries will let you take a look see at what they have. They will let you pick and choose but 235 yards is a six month project to sort through.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
... also... Rip-Rap size is from softball to medicine ball sized. So a load is a mix of it. Most will be about basketball sized up to and down to the extreme. Most quarries will let you take a look see at what they have. They will let you pick and choose but 235 yards is a six month project to sort through.
Thanks to all of you. Yes Rip Rap would be best. My sand stone thought was an ad for 18 tons delivered from Cleveland for 1200.00.
But the volume of that i have no clue. Mixed pics showed some as barn foundation.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Guys,
O need to repair about 150 lineal feet by 5 feet wide by 3 feet deep along my pond. The shore eroded and muskrats like to burrow through to the water level. O noticed the level did not rise and found its leaking through to a nearby ditch then going on to the property next to me.
My issue is looking for Sandstone etc..every one speaks in Tons. Well 1 rock could be 2000 pounds for all I know.
I dont want to over purchase then have a mess. Im thinking of like basketball size rocks but have no clue how to determine how many tons or yards that would be.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
I have a leak in my small pond (size of pond is roughly 50 x 100 feet or so) that I have to deal with.

I am wondering how you plan to use stone to cure your leak? Probably missing something at my end, but what I intend to do, is dig a trench until I find the leak or leaks, then use clay possibly with cement mixed with it, to seal them. Stone seems like it would be too porous to seal a leak.

Muskrats are destructive. My neighbor told me years ago to keep the level up very close to the ground on the down hill side, and they will not be an issue. seems to work for me, but the leak I have now is likely the result of old roots rotting away over the years. There was a willow tree I cut down close to the pond years ago...but the roots remained.

Maybe what you plan to do is something I failed to consider.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I have a leak in my small pond (size of pond is roughly 50 x 100 feet or so) that I have to deal with.

I am wondering how you plan to use stone to cure your leak? Probably missing something at my end, but what I intend to do, is dig a trench until I find the leak or leaks, then use clay possibly with cement mixed with it, to seal them. Stone seems like it would be too porous to seal a leak.

Muskrats are destructive. My neighbor told me years ago to keep the level up very close to the ground on the down hill side, and they will not be an issue. seems to work for me, but the leak I have now is likely the result of old roots rotting away over the years. There was a willow tree I cut down close to the pond years ago...but the roots remained.

Maybe what you plan to do is something I failed to consider.
I dug out the tunnel. Put concrete in to seal it. Muskrats all gone, trapped and drowned them. My hope is the stone along the shore thats abrupt like that, will make it where they cant tunnel.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I dug out the tunnel. Put concrete in to seal it. Muskrats all gone, trapped and drowned them. My hope is the stone along the shore thats abrupt like that, will make it where they cant tunnel.
Hit send too quick, my pond is 650 feet long and 100 to 150 feet wide. Most of the shore slopes. This area is washed out and abrupt.
The other hopes is if i had like barn stone i can mow right up to the stone. Weed eating 650 feet is no fun. Plus the ends

Reactions: 1 user

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Hit send too quick, my pond is 650 feet long and 100 to 150 feet wide. Most of the shore slopes. This area is washed out and abrupt.
The other hopes is if i had like barn stone i can mow right up to the stone. Weed eating 650 feet is no fun. Plus the ends
20220526_153247.jpg

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Left side in the pic. Id like to go from bank to 2 to 3 feet out. Narrow for l4060 around there to at like 8 feet wide. Muskrats are like us, they swim but cant be under water long. They dig at water edge. If pond is full they go elsewhere. That side the way it is is perfect though. Lived here 10 years go through this every 3 years or so. Tired of it.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Nice pond! :sick: (Green with envy)
Thanks, about acre plus of water. Legend is 20 feet deep in middle ( guy who dug it in 70,s) No winter fish kills. I dont swim so i dont know, plus i see turtles....lol. Takes a lot of maintenance to keep.it clean. Goofy muskrats, i saw slides and them backfloating out in the water as i mowed.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Maybe you need a turtle trap!
What is a Turtle trap ? This pond was dug when the house was built. It was stocked many times. When i had the box traps in for muskrats i caught 2 snappers. In the sun i see paintets turtles on logs sunning themsrlves.
Still a lot of fish so theu arent clearing the pond out but im notna fan of snappers. They never made it back to the pond when i caught them.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
man that's pretty ! late best friend used to make ponds like that. If you can 'beg/borrow/rent' a side dumping cart or trailer it'll make the job a pleasure to do.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
man that's pretty ! late best friend used to make ponds like that. If you can 'beg/borrow/rent' a side dumping cart or trailer it'll make the job a pleasure to do.
Thanks