Building a counter weight question

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
If I have the time over the weekend I'm considering building a counter weight for my 3pt hitch. I'm sure this has been covered so you have to forgive me.

It will either be made using a wooded form with concrete or I thought about going with the barrel full of concrete technique.

I guess my main concern is the quick hitch I have on the 3pt. With the QH it will not allow the weight as close to the tractor as some I've found pictures of. It will hang off the back a few feet.

Will this make much of a difference in performance or am I over thinking this?

Thanks

Ben

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
I would think the further away from the axles the weight is, the less weight you need.

So if anything, it would help?

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Thanks for the reply's.

Ron that's similar to what I was thinking. Any idea what yours weighs?

I like the idea of having it closer but I don't want to have to the take quick hitch off each time I hook up.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I used nine 80# bags of concrete, 24" Drawbar, and a 36" X 2" X 3/8" flat stock (bent and attached to Drawbar for top link) and guess that I'm about 800#. Not real familiar with whats needed for the QH, but I would think the design of your boxed form would be determined by the needed adjustments for the QH hook up.

Ron

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For using the quick hitch, you apparently know how to weld, so that is easily done. Make a frame with the pins for the two lower quick hitch hooks and the bracket on top for the top hook or attachment. Then it is only a matter of figuring how you want the weight attached to that frame. For the pictures, those pins and the top bracket would do the job if they were on the face of the block towards the tractor.

Or you can enclose that block of concrete with a "box" made from angle iron.

Be sure that the pins are at such a height that your quick hitch can get under the pins for attaching, or set the block on a support. For the BX this is critical due to limited arm movement.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The weight off of a quick hitch will work fine, just don't put so much weight off the three point that it's going to stress the three point.
Also keep the check chains tight to keep the weight from shifting side to side.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Have you considered just using an implement instead? Something useful instead of dead weight? I use my box scraper, I pretty much just leave it on unless I need to switch to another implement. It just works well in tandem with the loader, scraping up into a pile, smoothing what I've dumped with the bucket, etc. Just my $0.02.

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I took a 50 gal rubber maid trash can and cut 2 slots about 2/3 down and 2/3 to the front and slid a draw bar through it. I then welded and bolted a reese hitch on to it and let it stick out the back for small trailers etc.
I also bolted 2 pieces of 2 inch angle straight up and 2 inches apart to accept the turn buckle of the 3 point hitch. then filled the whole thing with concrete about 1000 lbs. works fantastic. also made a carry all for the back.

Attachments

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Have you considered just using an implement instead? Something useful instead of dead weight? I use my box scraper, I pretty much just leave it on unless I need to switch to another implement. It just works well in tandem with the loader, scraping up into a pile, smoothing what I've dumped with the bucket, etc. Just my $0.02.
I leave my box scraper on all the time in the winter for the same reasons plus I added 2 78lb concrete blocks for additional weight to the top of the box.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Yes I could use an implement for the counter weight. I mostly just have cabin fever and it was 60 outside on Saturday but to muddy to do much.

So I was able to get it framed up and about 90% ready for the quick create. If I'm figuring right it's about 8 cubic ft, which should be about 13 bags of Crete and a little over 1000 pounds.

I was able to round up everything except the Crete for free. The only other expense might be the lower lift pins, for mock up purposes I've been using a 3'x 7/8" grade stake, it's a little rusty and pitted on one end. So I'll probably buy something different, just to be on the safe side.

I'm assuming that the more rebar I can get in there the better right?

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
I have the BX25D.

This winter has given me ample time to plow plenty of snow and I discovered that the additional weight of the backhoe was actually a hindrance rather than a benefit.

As the weight of the snow pile increased in front of the plow and the weight of the backhoe actually worked against me. What I discovered was the additional weight behind the center-line of the rear tires caused the front end to raise prematurely. The rear axle became a pivot point.

Keep in mind that I was using a plow to push, not the bucket to lift.

Once I removed the backhoe I was able to push the snow very easy and effectively....

I'm looking forward to spring so I can reattach the bucket and backhoe...