bucking on a grapple - crazy talk?

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I have this theory, that if I can find a grapple similar to this one with long separated tines, I could pick up logs and saw them down to 16" lengths right on the grapple. That would save me one of the more difficult jobs of firewood harvesting, I think, which is getting long logs situated to safely buck them down.
1653571928496.png

Anyone tried this before? Have a reason to talk me out of it?

Thanks,
Ray

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Neil Messick did a YouTube video to show different ways you can increase the pressure of your hydraulic system to very high levels with an uneven load. I think the pressure would dramatically change as you buck the log. I think you'd be better off lifting with log tongs.

Reactions: 1 user

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I process around fifteen full cord a year of firewood and buck all of it with the grapple on my skid loader. Usually doing it with two guys one in the skid loader and one running the chain saw. I wouldn't buck firewood any other way.

Reactions: 5 users

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Works great. Done lots of logs with a similar grapple on a Bobcat 632. Takes 2 people to do it on a Bobcat but a tractor and loader could do with one. Just need to watch not to overload the loader.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Excellent - thanks for confirming my thoughts, folks. The challenge seems to be finding a grapple shaped like this that isn't too heavy for my LX3310. I'll keep hunting...

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I just use my pallet forks. I work from the ends inward and switch sides to keep it from tipping off one side or the other. The few in the middle I just cut 1/2 or 3/4 way through then let it fall on the pile and finish it there. You just have to make sure you don't nick the steel.

Reactions: 3 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I thought about it, decided a homemade bucking table would be cheaper than 2nd grapple. Big plus is I don't have to strain a beer belly picking 16" logs off the ground

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
As long as you can see your bar in front and behind the log it should be fine. If you can’t see the metal compared to your bar might get your teeth rattled…as long as you have good visibility it should be fine until it isn’t. But you have that risk with a saw and forks or a bucket with manure tines on to hold the log up. I’ve mainly done that with forks or manure tines. To me the advantage of the grapple would be to hold the log a little better…somtimes they want to rock a little. I’ve been using a log rack for cutting which has helped me….less chance to hit steel with the chain and consistant cuts.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I thought about it, decided a homemade bucking table would be cheaper than 2nd grapple. Big plus is I don't have to strain a beer belly picking 16" logs off the ground
i7win7 I read that thread last week. Very clever! I don't have the ground space for such a beast. I have a very hilly mountain property with very limited flat land, so I generally want to buck them down and stack the short logs out where they were felled.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I just use my pallet forks. I work from the ends inward and switch sides to keep it from tipping off one side or the other. The few in the middle I just cut 1/2 or 3/4 way through then let it fall on the pile and finish it there. You just have to make sure you don't nick the steel.
I do the same with a grapple. Lift in middle and alternate ends now and then so it doesn’t get way out of balance.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I do the same with a grapple. Lift in middle and alternate ends now and then so it doesn’t get way out of balance.
Me too. I've used a tractor and grapple to process logs for the past six years. Even with the grapple I find processing firewood to be hard work.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Me too. I've used a tractor and grapple to process logs for the past six years. Even with the grapple I find processing firewood to be hard work.
It sure is. But as long as my 65yo, 130# female neighbor is still chainsawing all her firewood and splitting it with a maul, there's no way I can not do it myself! I'd have to put my Man Card right in with the kindling.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It sure is. But as long as my 65yo, 130# female neighbor is still chainsawing all her firewood and splitting it with a maul, there's no way I can not do it myself! I'd have to put my Man Card right in with the kindling.
Ha! Ha! That's a good point! :LOL:

I find splitting wood to be the enjoyable part, it's everything else that's a pain. I go through five to seven cords (split) during the winter so finally got around to buying a used a Oregon 22 ton wood splitter a couple of months ago. Now if I can just find a way to stop the Stihl saws from leaking bar oil all over the place.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Not sure about that have you priced lumber lately

• Love

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I do not cut a lot of trees down now, really only when the weather makes the first move by making a tree fall or old age kills one off.
I've used a chain on the bucket or BH to lift a trunk up to buck it some. I'll move the chain and cut some more, always leaving most of the weight on the ground. Then when it gets small (under 10') I'll take a log and lay it on the ground, the trunk on top and cut away, using the log on the ground as a 'feeder roller' until I am at the final 3'. Then I make my last cut across the log on 'roller' to keep my chain out of the dirt.
The idea of holding the whole truck up in the air and cutting one and and then the other seems like a lot of walking and I'd never try to cut between the tines of a grapple, too much room for disappointing errors.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I giggled when I read that. Almost spit coffee on the screen.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Like others, I have used my grapple and just cut from both ends then drop the remainder on the ground and make the last 2 cuts. But, since getting a hydraulic thumb for my backhoe, I can grab a pretty large log with the backhoe and do similar, cutting from each end till there is the last piece in the BH's grip. Unfortunately, I learned an expensive lesson by not paying enough attention about where the bucket teeth are and ruined a chain. The teeth stick out wider than the actual bucket and were hidden by the log.

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Greetings, I also cut the firewood off pallet forks, I measured and welded a 2x2 trailer receiver vertically between the forks and I made a fork T shaped, slide it up into the receiver, pit a pin to hold it there. That way I can cut all the pieces 16 inch and I don't have to bend over to cut any. I also put a 6x6x4 on each fork to keep the log away from the steel, I just screwed the 6x6's to a piece of 2x4 and bungy cord it to the back of the forks. Works great for me.