Bucket Level Indicator

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I have wanted to fabricate a bucket level indicator on my BX, since as everyone knows, the factory indicator on the bucket is rudimentary at best.
So, I came up with an idea for one based on an indicator I saw one time on a piece of construction equipment a long time ago. Don't remember anymore what it was on. Probably a loader or backhoe.
I formed a piece of 1/8" X 1" strap into a circle about 6" in diameter, cut another piece of strap to weld on it across the diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle and then cut a 1 1/8" long piece of 3/8" I.D. tube and welded it on for a bearing. I cut another piece about 5" long, drilled a 3/8" hole to mount it to the pivot bolt and bent a 90° about an inch from the end for a pointer. I made a couple of 45° cuts on the bent end to make a pointed end.
I painted to pointer Kubota dark gray and the indicator Kubota orange.
I had a couple of 1/4" Heim ends with studs in my parts bin and a piece of 1/4" rod stock to use for a connecting link.
It took a little experimenting to get the location for the link on the bucket and ended up putting the indicator up on the reinforcing piece in the middle of the right loader arm. On the bucket, I drilled and tapped the hole 1/4" X 28 as there was not enough clearance to put a nut on the inside of the pivot plate, and used a jam nut on the outside. For the indicator mount, I drilled and tapped a hole for a 3/8" X 16 bolt for the pivot.
Since I had to bend the rod to clear the cross brace between the arms I cut a piece of 1/4" rod, bent it into a J shape and threaded the long end. I drilled and tapped a hole 1/4" X 20 in the cross brace and installed it with a jam nut to hold it in position.
I assembled everything and cut the rod to the correct length and threaded both ends, assembled the ends and adjusted it to get the proper amount of rotation on the indicator for the full range of motion of the bucket.
Once that was done, I cut some pieces of black electrical tape and applied them to the indicator at the pointer position corresponding to level, 45° and 90° of bucket angle.
Since I used only what I had on hand, my cost out of pocket was $0.00, and should aid a lot when I use the bucket for digging in the dirt or pushing snow.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Could have bought the entire assembly at your friendly Kubota dealer for about 30 bucks. I like yours too but they are available.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Could of bought it, but I like this one better. You could put marks on it in different colors for different implements. Stacking round bales, stacking on a pallet shelf for example. Plus sometimes 0 is greater then $30. But I think the kit is a little more then $30.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Really good idea. Nicely done!

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I built mine that way too. The fixed indicator shows bucket position at ground level and the moving indicator shows bucket position at the current level.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Thanks for replies and pictures of your indicators. I may have to modify mine with the second link to show the correct angle when the bucket is raised.
That's a great idea.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You people make me feel more dumber and sad inside.
Why so? With just a few basic tools you can build a lot of really useful additions for your tractor. The only thing I used that the average guy might not have is a mig welder, and I'm sure you could find a shop that would do the welding pretty cheaply, or maybe a friend with a welder, as there's only about a total of 4 inches of weld on it.

I got to try it out this morning as we had a couple of inches of snow overnight, and it really works well. It keeps me from digging up the turf next to the driveway and sidewalk. You can get the bucket back into the proper position very easily without having to have the bucket on the ground.

Working in the windy 25° weather makes me want to build a cab next!

Last edited:

259gibbs

Mar 30, 2017
US
I have wanted to fabricate a bucket level indicator on my BX, since as everyone knows, the factory indicator on the bucket is rudimentary at best.

So, I came up with an idea for one based on an indicator I saw one time on a piece of construction equipment a long time ago. Don't remember anymore what it was on. Probably a loader or backhoe.

I formed a piece of 1/8" X 1" strap into a circle about 6" in diameter, cut another piece of strap to weld on it across the diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle and then cut a 1 1/8" long piece of 3/8" I.D. tube and welded it on for a bearing. I cut another piece about 5" long, drilled a 3/8" hole to mount it to the pivot bolt and bent a 90° about an inch from the end for a pointer. I made a couple of 45° cuts on the bent end to make a pointed end.

I painted to pointer Kubota dark gray and the indicator Kubota orange.

I had a couple of 1/4" Heim ends with studs in my parts bin and a piece of 1/4" rod stock to use for a connecting link.

It took a little experimenting to get the location for the link on the bucket and ended up putting the indicator up on the reinforcing piece in the middle of the right loader arm. On the bucket, I drilled and tapped the hole 1/4" X 28 as there was not enough clearance to put a nut on the inside of the pivot plate, and used a jam nut on the outside. For the indicator mount, I drilled and tapped a hole for a 3/8" X 16 bolt for the pivot.

Since I had to bend the rod to clear the cross brace between the arms I cut a piece of 1/4" rod, bent it into a J shape and threaded the long end. I drilled and tapped a hole 1/4" X 20 in the cross brace and installed it with a jam nut to hold it in position.

I assembled everything and cut the rod to the correct length and threaded both ends, assembled the ends and adjusted it to get the proper amount of rotation on the indicator for the full range of motion of the bucket.

Once that was done, I cut some pieces of black electrical tape and applied them to the indicator at the pointer position corresponding to level, 45° and 90° of bucket angle.

Since I used only what I had on hand, my cost out of pocket was $0.00, and should aid a lot when I use the bucket for digging in the dirt or pushing snow.
Slick ! Good job well done !

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Slick ! Good job well done !

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Have to agree. you did a great job building that!

But after 17 years of using my loader, I never felt anything more than the flat bar, welded to the top of the loader, would be of any benefit to me.

I suppose if things were level here it might be different. But only 1 percent of the time is the tractor on flat ground.

When you say level, do you mean the indication is showing actual level, or rather that the bottom of the bucket is parallel with the ground the tires are sitting on, regardless of what the slope may be? In other words, is it a parallel indicator, rather than a level indicator? (sorry, did not work through the geometric relationships of your linkage)

Never thought to ask this question over the years. I just wrote off the need for having my bucket bottom level regardless of the slope the tractor is working on.

I am starting to get the feeling that a bucket "level" indicator, is really a "parallel" indicator, and not a level indicator at all.

If this is the case, then I have just proven again that I am always the last to know...:eek:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Thanks for the compliments!

The indicator shows when the bucket is parallel to the ground when it is on the ground.
It would be nice if the smaller loaders had the linkage to keep the at the same position as you raise the bucket, but that would make it much more complicated and have more joints to grease and wear out.

Simply stated, it does what I what I want it to do.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the compliments!

The indicator shows when the bucket is parallel to the ground when it is on the ground.
It would be nice if the smaller loaders had the linkage to keep the at the same position as you raise the bucket, but that would make it much more complicated and have more joints to grease and wear out.

Simply stated, it does what I what I want it to do.
Makes sense and I can see how that would be functional.

After decades of using levels in carpentry and other work, I guess I took the term _level_ too literally with respect to loader position indicators.

I now see the light!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Have to agree. you did a great job building that!

But after 17 years of using my loader, I never felt anything more than the flat bar, welded to the top of the loader, would be of any benefit to me.

I suppose if things were level here it might be different. But only 1 percent of the time is the tractor on flat ground.

When you say level, do you mean the indication is showing actual level, or rather that the bottom of the bucket is parallel with the ground the tires are sitting on, regardless of what the slope may be? In other words, is it a parallel indicator, rather than a level indicator? (sorry, did not work through the geometric relationships of your linkage)

Never thought to ask this question over the years. I just wrote off the need for having my bucket bottom level regardless of the slope the tractor is working on.

I am starting to get the feeling that a bucket "level" indicator, is really a "parallel" indicator, and not a level indicator at all.

If this is the case, then I have just proven again that I am always the last to know...:eek:

When you have a big square hood like I have on my M9's a level indicator is a must. You cannot even see the bucket when it's on the ground.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
dlsmith,

Instead of black electrical tape for marking try using self-adhesive reflective tape. This way at night your tractor's work lights will light them up.
I don't have work lights yet that would illuminate the indicator. I have a lot of small trees with low hanging branches that hit the ROPS, so until they grow some more and I get all them trimmed high enough, I probably won't install them.
Good idea though.
Thanks.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
When you have a big square hood like I have on my M9's a level indicator is a must. You cannot even see the bucket when it's on the ground.
Don't really have that problem with my little BX.

Having run lots of wheel loaders and tractor/backhoes over the years, I was used to having an indicator of some type for bucket position.

Besides, when using it, I can get the bucket back into proper position at the same time I am lowering it instead of waiting until it's back on the ground or close to it.